What first world problem did you have today?

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 25, 2006
Don't know whats wrong with you guys. I take shots of everclear all the time with some water.
151 is easy and tastes pretty good straight with no chaser.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Don't know whats wrong with you guys. I take shots of everclear all the time with some water.
151 is easy and tastes pretty good straight with no chaser.

What is wrong with me is I like to enjoy the taste of a fine wine or spirit, and not just drink to get drunk. The fact that I do get drunk is a side effect of enjoying my favorite wine all day.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Went to the Texas State Fair. There were a lot of foods and drinks. I saw oversize hot dogs that were about 1/2 of my arm (from finger tip to elbow) and were about $10. Thought about that but did not get it because I need to slim down a bit.

Oct 25, 2006
What is wrong with me is I like to enjoy the taste of a fine wine or spirit, and not just drink to get drunk. The fact that I do get drunk is a side effect of enjoying my favorite wine all day.

I enjoy the act of drinking. The burn is quite invigorating.

rsbennett00

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2014
I interviewed a guy for work today and he showed up in flip flops! I asked him if he thought that was appropriate attire and he said yes. When I told him thanks for coming he accused me of being sexist "because women can wear flip flops all the time", ha! I don't hire women in flip flops either. It's not appropriate attire outside the beach/pool/shower.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I interviewed a guy for work today and he showed up in flip flops! I asked him if he thought that was appropriate attire and he said yes. When I told him thanks for coming he accused me of being sexist "because women can wear flip flops all the time", ha! I don't hire women in flip flops either. It's not appropriate attire outside the beach/pool/shower.

What kind of job in what state?

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004

I wish I could drink more and NOT get drunk. I'd love to have a few glasses of whiskey or 5 beers and just get a mild buzz.

I was at Whole Foods yesterday and walked past the bar. I thought a beer sounded really good at the moment, but didn't want to get buzzed. :(

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I wish I could drink more and NOT get drunk. I'd love to have a few glasses of whiskey or 5 beers and just get a mild buzz.

I was at Whole Foods yesterday and walked past the bar. I thought a beer sounded really good at the moment, but didn't want to get buzzed. :(

Just enjoy your favorite whiskey often enough and you won't get as drunk. I can split a bottle of wine with the GF and not even be more than slightly buzzed.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002

I work in a scientific research lab and the atmosphere is very laid back. Several of my coworkers wear flip flops regularly.

Oct 25, 2006

Nothing wrong with flip flops if the guy gets the job done.

"Professional" attire is such a pre 2000's concept.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I am ever so slightly annoyed at other people not knowing how to do a first world problem post.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

If I were hiring a company to do something, and their workers looked like fucking idiots in flip flops, I'd take my business somewhere else. Appearance matters. And every person at a company is representing that company. I understand that a lot of jobs don't require you to look professional, but I don't care. If you can't be bothered to take the amount of time to put on a pair of slacks and button a shirt, how can I be sure you can be bothered to do a good job?

Oct 25, 2006
If I were hiring a company to do something, and their workers looked like fucking idiots in flip flops, I'd take my business somewhere else. Appearance matters. And every person at a company is representing that company. I understand that a lot of jobs don't require you to look professional, but I don't care. If you can't be bothered to take the amount of time to put on a pair of slacks and button a shirt, how can I be sure you can be bothered to do a good job?

Because a persons work should be the indicator of performance, not appearance.

There is a reason startups don't give a damn about what you do as long as you get your work done. I have plenty of friends who drink beer at work, wear shorts and a t-shirt while working on projects worth 10 million dollars for a company that only has 15 people. On a given week, they probably have 10x the work output of a standard office worker.

We're past the days where if a man doesn't wear a hat outside, he is considered extremely rude/inconsiderate/improperly dressed.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Because a persons work should be the indicator of performance, not appearance.

There is a reason startups don't give a damn about what you do as long as you get your work done. I have plenty of friends who drink beer at work, wear shorts and a t-shirt while working on projects worth 10 million dollars. On a given week, they probably have 10x the work output of a standard office worker.

There is a reason 90% of start ups fail. And, no, they don't have more work output. It is the same.

The indicator of performance, especially in an interview, is how you prepare for said task. And, if you can't be assed to put on some fucking shoes, you don't deserve a job. Have fun living with mom.

Oct 25, 2006
There is a reason 90% of start ups fail. And, no, they don't have more work output. It is the same.

The indicator of performance, especially in an interview, is how you prepare for said task. And, if you can't be assed to put on some fucking shoes, you don't deserve a job. Have fun living with mom.

Dumb comparison.

Startups fail because they're starting up and new, versus companies that are already established with long term contracts.

And the definitely have more work output. How many big companies do you know that will give a brand new worker full control over a well traveled page on their main website and have them fully overhaul it within 2 weeks, and have a 1.5 week development cycle after that?

Productivity is king, not attire.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

I completely agree with you

HOWEVER

it would be a much better idea to just wear shoes and get the job and then determine that flip flops are OK.

also as someone else pointed out. for some jobs, flip flops are not OK