What first world problem did you have today?

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Dumb comparison.

Startups fail because they're starting up and new, versus companies that are already established with long term contracts.

And the definitely have more work output. How many big companies do you know that will give a brand new worker full control over a well traveled page on their main website and have them fully overhaul it within 2 weeks, and have a 1.5 week development cycle after that?

Productivity is king, not attire.

I think you're missing the point. Unless you're actually trying to convince him that if they wore slacks and a button up shirt, they'd be less productive?

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
not entertained by the lack of first world problems in the last few posts of the first world problems thread

Coulrophobia

Jun 7, 2014
It was like the exorcist, she did a spin shooting it around the room and then bent over and right down the vent. It was pretty awesome until I remembered I was the one who was cleaning it up... At least we won't need to turn on the heat for awhile.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
There is a reason 90% of start ups fail. And, no, they don't have more work output. It is the same.

The indicator of performance, especially in an interview, is how you prepare for said task. And, if you can't be assed to put on some fucking shoes, you don't deserve a job. Have fun living with mom.

I get to work from home often...fuck shoes, fuck a shirt even!

rsbennett00

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2014
If I were hiring a company to do something, and their workers looked like fucking idiots in flip flops, I'd take my business somewhere else. Appearance matters. And every person at a company is representing that company. I understand that a lot of jobs don't require you to look professional, but I don't care. If you can't be bothered to take the amount of time to put on a pair of slacks and button a shirt, how can I be sure you can be bothered to do a good job?

Because a persons work should be the indicator of performance, not appearance.

There is a reason startups don't give a damn about what you do as long as you get your work done. I have plenty of friends who drink beer at work, wear shorts and a t-shirt while working on projects worth 10 million dollars for a company that only has 15 people. On a given week, they probably have 10x the work output of a standard office worker.

We're past the days where if a man doesn't wear a hat outside, he is considered extremely rude/inconsiderate/improperly dressed.

It's not just the flip flops themselves, while disgusting and unhealthy, but it shows a personality trait that we don't want anything to do with. It's the same as breast implants. Implants themselves, if well done, aren't a problem, it's the personality type that would drive a woman to get implants that we don't want. Obviously transwomen get implants for a completely different reason so we welcome all transpeople with open arms as long as they aren't wearing flip flops.

And we're not as big as you, we only do a handful of million dollar contracts a week with 4 employees, but we're not a startup, we've been here for years.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Witnessed a sick burn in the first world problem thread and realized I hadn't sick burned anyone in a couple days. Somebody is cruisin' for a bruisin' and they don't know it!

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
It's not just the flip flops themselves, while disgusting and unhealthy, but it shows a personality trait that we don't want anything to do with. It's the same as breast implants. Implants themselves, if well done, aren't a problem, it's the personality type that would drive a woman to get implants that we don't want. Obviously transwomen get implants for a completely different reason so we welcome all transpeople with open arms as long as they aren't wearing flip flops.

And we're not as big as you, we only do a handful of million dollar contracts a week with 4 employees, but we're not a startup, we've been here for years.

You are probably a blast at parties.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Somehow I don't think you mean the kinds of parties I usually go to, so what kind do you mean?

It's clear you totally understand.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

Flip flops to the right and those with breast implants to the left.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000

You still aren't telling us specifically what you do...

You tease.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
You still aren't telling us specifically what you do...

You tease.

curlys-photo1-300x252.jpg

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Ordered a couple cell phone chargers on eBay, was shipped via DHL. Got tendered to the USPS yesterday in Denver and I thought I would have them today, but NOPE! :rolleyes: