What first world problem did you have today?

Page 988 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
It took weeks to get my keyboard. I opened the box last night and it looks like the amazon seller sent me a used keyboard.

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Don’t know. Truck had no markings. Driver saw that the front and back were separating.

If that was a private trucking company, make note of the name for future reference.... delivery people who actually care are a rarity these days!

What could he see that was obviously damaged?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Had an alarm that a mouse trap went off in the attic so went to check and all the peanut butter was gone but didn't catch the bastard. Also got cellulose all over my hair in that process.

One of them just tripped again as I post this. I JUST finished vacuuming the area!

I do need to come up with a better system for this though, I'm thinking I have a conduit going down from attic to a spot where I can just place a water bucket. I'd have a limit switch that is triggered when they fall through the conduit with a manual reset. Though I need to actually figure out how they're getting up there in first place...

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Just got my water bill for this year, it went up yet again. Up to $114/mo now. I remember when it used to be like $50/mo back when I bought the house. It's more than double now. Not looking forward to the tax bill as I'm sure that went up too.

For water, there is an option of going on a water meter, but from what I've been told you have to prepay for a large amount up front whether you use it or not. It does bring the bill down to around $60/mo though but just not sure if it's worth it as there is a big up front cost to the meter install and that $60 probably goes up every year too.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Just got my water bill for this year, it went up yet again. Up to $114/mo now. I remember when it used to be like $50/mo back when I bought the house. It's more than double now. Not looking forward to the tax bill as I'm sure that went up too.

For water, there is an option of going on a water meter, but from what I've been told you have to prepay for a large amount up front whether you use it or not. It does bring the bill down to around $60/mo though but just not sure if it's worth it as there is a big up front cost to the meter install and that $60 probably goes up every year too.
Well, you could always find out what the up front cost was and do the math. Pretty sure they teach Canadian kids math...

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's not the thing of just doing the hard calculations but rather whether or not the cost will still go up over time. There is no way to know that. I also hear all sorts of numbers to what the up front cost is so the only way to find out is to actually do it. I think it comes up to around a grand though so it would be worth it, but only if the monthly cost actually stays the same which I doubt it does. Every time I look into it, the savings are not big enough to justify it. I get screwed either way.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It's not the thing of just doing the hard calculations but rather whether or not the cost will still go up over time. There is no way to know that. I also hear all sorts of numbers to what the up front cost is so the only way to find out is to actually do it. I think it comes up to around a grand though so it would be worth it, but only if the monthly cost actually stays the same which I doubt it does. Every time I look into it, the savings are not big enough to justify it. I get screwed either way.
Well at least you get water.

Don't worry it's all going to be simpler and better when you build it all yourself.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
My gas bill used to be $80 last year and this year it's $160 (rounded it down), I said it doubled and 80x2 is 160. I think you are the one that does not understand.

There is a fucking war and EU is short on energy so NG producers are making more LNG thus pushing NG price up. That is what you are not getting.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There is a fucking war and EU is short on energy so NG producers are making more LNG thus pushing NG price up. That is what you are not getting.

A war in another continent shouldn't be turned into our problem, we have more than enough oil to be completely independent. Lots of corruption involved and some people are getting rich at our expense.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
A war in another continent shouldn't be turned into our problem, we have more than enough oil to be completely independent. Lots of corruption involved and some people are getting rich at our expense.

And now he goes even dumber than we thought before, which is saying quite a lot because I think most of us know this guy is an idiot. He doesn't know the difference between natural gas and oil.

Let alone something as complex as supply and demand because nothing that happens far away can possibly affect us here, especially not in a very intertwined globally economy. I mean these are all concepts way too much for his little feeble mind.

I find it hard to believe this fellow can walk and chew gum at the same time. This is why I fully support him live streaming his attempt to go off the grid on his land. It would be the funniest thing in the world. And I could use some more laughs.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
The costs will go up. That's life. The math bit was just a joke :D

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

lol like you can buy everything made locally. That ship sailed long ago, it's international trade or bust now.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Corporate sent us an emergency mobile satellite internet setup in case the zombie apocalypse is only local and there is something to connect to out there. It's on a cart with little wheels so I guess we are supposed to push it out into the parking lot to use. Dish, cell and wifi antennae , all the in-between electronics, and generator to power it. No training, no manuals, we don't even know which satellite service it works with, and no contact info for the folks who sent it to us. I expect it will never be used. Coworkers are already discussing repurposing the cart it's mounted on.

Side note: our building doesn't have a backup generator so the whole system would only last as long as individual UPSs.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Corporate sent us an emergency mobile satellite internet setup in case the zombie apocalypse is only local and there is something to connect to out there. It's on a cart with little wheels so I guess we are supposed to push it out into the parking lot to use. Dish, cell and wifi antennae , all the in-between electronics, and generator to power it. No training, no manuals, we don't even know which satellite service it works with, and no contact info for the folks who sent it to us. I expect it will never be used. Coworkers are already discussing repurposing the cart it's mounted on.

It's only for you to send the myriad of daily reports.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Can't play MW2 on my new PC because it requires a phone #, they say it's so they can keep the riff raff off the servers. Of course, they don't allow a Google Voice # (all I have) While I sorta understand why they do this, I just want to play the offline single-player campaign. This is DUMB DUMB DUMB. And don't allow pre-paid #'s, so I couldn't even go get a throwaway phone just to do this. Not that I want to, but if I did it wouldn't work.

Way to go Microsoft + Activision.

Last edited: