What first world problem did you have today?

Page 854 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I just realized my carwash I got last year expired. Basically I bought it but then saw after the fact that I had to take the hitch off the truck before being able to go in, but I can't figure out how to take it off so figured I'd worry about it later.... well I still have not done it.

I need to take the time to really try harder to see if I can get it off as I do want to eventually go through the carwash to take all the dirt and grime off.

Unless you have some "Canada Speshul" type of hitch, there should only be one hitch pin or bolt holding the ball coupler to the receiver. (that's the only thing that needs to come off)

61lAkoaJT1L._AC_SY355_.jpg

Gas price went up to $2.44/gal of regular unleaded. Now it is $30 to fill up instead of $25 two weeks ago.

It hit $3.00 or more here several days ago.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Unless you have some "Canada Speshul" type of hitch, there should only be one hitch pin or bolt holding the ball coupler to the receiver. (that's the only thing that needs to come off)

61lAkoaJT1L._AC_SY355_.jpg

It hit $3.00 or more here several days ago.

It's easy when the hitch looks like that, all nice and shiny. Not so easy when it's rusted out more than the titanic. I managed to get the pin out a while back and tried getting it out but it's seized. Tried to let WD40 sit etc, no luck. I'd have to work at it more some day. Maybe using a combination of jack and torches and maybe angle grinder. But it's hard to tell where the hitch starts and receiver starts since it's just a big hunk of rust.

I wish they would stop using so much salt here, it just ruins vehicles.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's easy when the hitch looks like that, all nice and shiny. Not so easy when it's rusted out more than the titanic. I managed to get the pin out a while back and tried getting it out but it's seized. Tried to let WD40 sit etc, no luck. I'd have to work at it more some day. Maybe using a combination of jack and torches and maybe angle grinder. But it's hard to tell where the hitch starts and receiver starts since it's just a big hunk of rust.

I wish they would stop using so much salt here, it just ruins vehicles.

Ah...OK. PB Blaster is your friend when dealing with rust...and a welder's chipping hammer...or a needle gun if you have a compressor that will run it.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah I need to take more time to try to get it out. I might try to jack it up by the hitch, then drop it then bang it down, and just repeat. I don't have any kind of trailer and probably no plans to get one any time soon since the 8 foot box pretty much serves my needs so I'll probably just put a cover in it after. I'd like to try to get to the carwash at least a few times a year as leaving all the salt grime in there probably does not help the rust situation.

Might try to find a spot where I can just tie it to a tree as well and see if I can get it out that way. Don't exactly want to take a big run for it as that could end badly, but maybe just a bit of tugging. Chances are I'll just spin, but worth a shot I guess.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Another trick you can use is a 20' load chain. Not some wimpy light stuff but the real deal, 3/8" heavy stuff.
See if you can borrow one, Red.
Now you wrap each end around the ball and hook it on there so it is now a 10' long loop. Wire the hooks on so they are secure for the procedure.
Put on some heavy gloves, grab the end of the chain and let some slack into it, then jerk it towards you. It is a poor man's slide hammer and a very effective one.
The length of chain hits the hitch hard, and shocks it like a sledgehammer. We used that method to pull stuck axles on big rigs, pretty much anything where you need to hit something out that you can't get behind with a hammer.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Another trick you can use is a 20' load chain. Not some wimpy light stuff but the real deal, 3/8" heavy stuff.
See if you can borrow one, Red.
Now you wrap each end around the ball and hook it on there so it is now a 10' long loop. Wire the hooks on so they are secure for the procedure.
Put on some heavy gloves, grab the end of the chain and let some slack into it, then jerk it towards you. It is a poor man's slide hammer and a very effective one.
The length of chain hits the hitch hard, and shocks it like a sledgehammer. We used that method to pull stuck axles on big rigs, pretty much anything where you need to hit something out that you can't get behind with a hammer.

Have you seen this guy? He doesn't exactly exude manliness...

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I just realized my carwash I got last year expired. Basically I bought it but then saw after the fact that I had to take the hitch off the truck before being able to go in, but I can't figure out how to take it off so figured I'd worry about it later.... well I still have not done it.

I need to take the time to really try harder to see if I can get it off as I do want to eventually go through the carwash to take all the dirt and grime off.

Also, I just realized that my 2 4k monitors are susceptible to burn in since I moved this window and now I see a big line right across the dark background. I did not realize burnin was still a thing. :/ Paid so much for these too. I guess i really need to be more careful about leaving windows open in a single area, wonder if there are programs that will move them by a few pixels occasionally... should look into that.

Just wash it yourself in your driveway. Looks like it'll be 53F on Saturday for you, which is perfect car washing weather.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Ah...OK. PB Blaster is your friend when dealing with rust...and a welder's chipping hammer...or a needle gun if you have a compressor that will run it.
Beat me to it on the PBB. Then I'd beat on it with a hammer and a heavy duty chisel (the dull ones, forget what they are called). Worked for me years ago.
A pneumatic hammer would be awesome - or any kind of impact hammer. Just vibrate that shit off. I wouldn't hook a hitch up to a tree - seems like a reddit WCGW opportunity.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Monitor burn-in was a serious problem with CRT's but can still happen with LCD's. At my facilities job the alarm management televisions always show the same screen, no screen saver or blank, for years at a time. I often suggested that once a week we swap them around to prevent burn-in. No one listened to me.
Oh well. They're cheap tv's and can be replaced easily if needed.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I've been watching CNBC at home on my office TV, and I swear that every commercial break I get an ad for hormonal birth control gel.

As a 40-year-old guy, I can confirm that Comcast's ad targeting sucks.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I've been watching CNBC at home on my office TV, and I swear that every commercial break I get an ad for hormonal birth control gel.

I've seen that and the dude in the convertible singing the Pet Shop Boys, more than I can count. Lucky for me, I like the Pet Shop Boys...

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I've seen that and the dude in the convertible singing the Pet Shop Boys, more than I can count. Lucky for me, I like the Pet Shop Boys...

I'm not getting that one, but man I must have seen that GEICO ad with Tag Team in it about a dozen times a day :)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'm just thankful my tv has a mute button when those shit commercials come on...actually...ALL commercials.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

I keep getting spam email for hair loss. I worry that the ad targeting works better than I realize and they know more about me than I do. :eek:

I do shed a lot but don't think I'm balding.... I decided to look under my vacuum power nozzle a while back, and tabarnak. I had to get the side cutters out.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I keep getting spam email for hair loss. I worry that the ad targeting works better than I realize and they know more about me than I do. :eek:

I do shed a lot but don't think I'm balding.... I decided to look under my vacuum power nozzle a while back, and tabarnak. I had to get the side cutters out.
Have you looked in the mirror with a mirror?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Maybe they just pick on anyone with red-hair? I'm sure I heard somewhere that red-heads have fewer hair follicles than other hair colours (just googled it, and apparently they have fewer hairs, but the hairs they have are thicker, which maybe means they last longer...so maybe that cancels out?)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Maybe they just pick on anyone with red-hair? I'm sure I heard somewhere that red-heads have fewer hair follicles than other hair colours (just googled it, and apparently they have fewer hairs, but the hairs they have are thicker, which maybe means they last longer...so maybe that cancels out?)

Could be that actually since I heard the same thing. Or maybe because I grew my hair they figure by default I'm more concerned about it.

I have to laugh at how scammy some of those emails are too. "one drop of this oil will cure baldness!"

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Could be that actually since I heard the same thing. Or maybe because I grew my hair they figure by default I'm more concerned about it.

I have to laugh at how scammy some of those emails are too. "one drop of this oil will cure baldness!"

For many, many years I got regular spam emails from sellers offering me industrial quantities of cement and fertilizer. No idea why, other than I once attended an (IT-related) conference where there was a conference for agricultural and building suppliers going on next door.