What first world problem did you have today?

Page 569 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Not having appropriate clothing sounds like a third world problem to me.

I do have plenty of jackets but the problem temperature went down so far and so fast, it was out of ordinary. Right now it is in the 40's while last night it was in the 60s.

Remind me of last year when I was in Las Vegas, the weather suddenly turned cold (near freezing) with bone-chilling wind. Even the locals told me that it was out of ordinary to be so cold.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Yeah I'd like to make a small phone switch one day just as a fun project. It's actually not THAT complicated in the grand scheme of things. What would be really cool is to make something that can interface with the DMS100, but I don't know enough about it to be able to do that. Heck, I should try to find some documentation on how to do that, we have Star modules and other PMs and it's hard to get the parts for those, if I actually came up with a solution that works I'd probably be deemed a hero. Then again my company is quite bull headed about stuff like that, you suggest something and they go the opposite way.

Would still be fun to do as a project though.

I always thought it be a fun project to do if I ever built a tree house or playhouse for my kids and run a telephone line between that and the house. Though, at present, no kids and no wife. I do have one kid, but we put him up for adoption, and it's a very-long-story.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Remind me of last year when I was in Las Vegas, the weather suddenly turned cold (near freezing) with bone-chilling wind. Even the locals told me that it was out of ordinary to be so cold.

Reminds me of those pictures I seen years ago on the Internet of people and snow in Vegas.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Wegmans reduced the size of their big coffee can to 30.4oz from 34.5oz. Bullshit product sizes piss me off. It should be 32oz or 48oz, and the price adjusted as necessary. Don't insult my intelligence by trying to hide price increases by adjusting the package size.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Some LEDs on my monitor may be giving out. :(

1q4Aqwb.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So this morning I got a call to come in to work to give my coworker a hand as there's tons of power outages in the northeast and he's 1 guy basically handling 4 telcos.

As I was getting ready the power went out here too briefly. I guess my UPS did not trip fast enough or something but a bunch of my stuff went down. I didn't have time to look at it because I had to go to work so it bothered me all day.

Finally got home now and it's pure carnage. It looks like I have some weird ESXi server issue and since the primary DNS is a VM (stupid idea, need to change that) I'm getting all sorts of DNS issues despite me having setup a backup DNS on a physical server, because this is actually the 2nd time this happens.

Trying to figure out what's up with the ESXi server before I give in and do a reboot. The VMs are still running, but in some kind of limbo. I have a feeling they will corrupt if I restart the server, but I lost access to storage LUNs.

What a mess.

At least I got my environmental server running now. I also have heat. Also cashed in on like 8+ hours of OT as well, so there's that.

Maybe I need to put that money towards a -48v battery system...

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
So this morning I got a call to come in to work to give my coworker a hand as there's tons of power outages in the northeast and he's 1 guy basically handling 4 telcos.

As I was getting ready the power went out here too briefly. I guess my UPS did not trip fast enough or something but a bunch of my stuff went down. I didn't have time to look at it because I had to go to work so it bothered me all day.

Finally got home now and it's pure carnage. It looks like I have some weird ESXi server issue and since the primary DNS is a VM (stupid idea, need to change that) I'm getting all sorts of DNS issues despite me having setup a backup DNS on a physical server, because this is actually the 2nd time this happens.

Trying to figure out what's up with the ESXi server before I give in and do a reboot. The VMs are still running, but in some kind of limbo. I have a feeling they will corrupt if I restart the server, but I lost access to storage LUNs.

What a mess.

At least I got my environmental server running now. I also have heat. Also cashed in on like 8+ hours of OT as well, so there's that.

Maybe I need to put that money towards a -48v battery system...

Oh man. I'd be so damn pissed! I'd really try to do something about your UPS solution. That should have saved you.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah, I am wondering if maybe the relay is getting slower over the years as it's the second time this happens and it's always saved my ass.

I am also thinking, wonder if I could build a big ass capacitor bank then feed each server directly from it. I would modify the PSUs to just have it bypass the bridge rectifier and then run everything on HVD. I could then have several large capacitor banks that supply 170VDC to multiple servers. I don't know what that would do to power factor though, as I'd have to bypass the PFC portion of the PSU.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Yeah, I am wondering if maybe the relay is getting slower over the years as it's the second time this happens and it's always saved my ass.

I am also thinking, wonder if I could build a big ass capacitor bank then feed each server directly from it. I would modify the PSUs to just have it bypass the bridge rectifier and then run everything on HVD. I could then have several large capacitor banks that supply 170VDC to multiple servers. I don't know what that would do to power factor though, as I'd have to bypass the PFC portion of the PSU.

Just don't burn down your house in the process. :D

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Apparently my preferred snuff vendor isn't carrying Bernard anymore for... reasons... Everything went to shit last year with new EU regulations, and I'm guessing this is fallout due to that. Hopefully they haven't been shuttered. They've been around longer than the US has been a country(284 years), and they make my favorite snuff.

I bought an "apocalypse" supply last year cause paranoia(I was right once again...) got the better of me, and it'll likely last the rest of my life, but I like knowing they're still around if needed. If they are still around as a company, I may have to fly to Germany to pick some up. While it would give me a reason to go see Germany, it's certainly inconvenient.

Fuckin' government... Making everything shit since... ever...

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
My neighbors are being noisy all night and day. I don't want to buy a house because I'm not sure I want to live here long term. Why can't people build decent apartments?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I use q8 vorbis as my "archive" format. Sounds perfect on my gear, and is about half the size of flac. I'd consider opus, but I had issues with high cpu use on my old sansa running rockbox. Might be better now. Dunno

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Fuckin' government... Making everything shit since... ever...

True that! I loved a cigar brand called Hav-a-tampa based out of Tampa Bay. The berry flavored was my fav. I had a nightly ritual of walking the dog and smoking my cigar. Then when the housing "bubble burst" and all things economic went to utter shit, Hav-a-tampa was no more. I haven't found another cigar that comes as close. Although, I have yet to buy through a catalog. I've always bought from smoke shops.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...g-an-era-for-the-local-cigar-industry/1012864

McKenzie blamed the closure on government policies that group cigarettes, chewing tobacco and cigars under the label of tobacco and increasingly regulate them all.

I thought it was the economy. That's fucked up! Don't shill Congressmen smoke cigars too? WTF!

So the dumbass government in their infinite wisdom actually got rid of a tax source. What a way of thinking. .

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
True that! I loved a cigar brand called Hav-a-tampa based out of Tampa Bay. The berry flavored was my fav. I had a nightly ritual of walking the dog and smoking my cigar. Then when the housing "bubble burst" and all things economic went to utter shit, Hav-a-tampa was no more. I haven't found another cigar that comes as close. Although, I have yet to buy through a catalog. I'vce always bought from smoke shops.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...g-an-era-for-the-local-cigar-industry/1012864

I thought it was the economy. That's fucked up! Don't shill Congressmen smoke cigars too? WTF!
Never been a big cigar smoker, but I enjoyed the Hav-A-Tampas. The wood tip kind of struck me as wasteful though. Backwoods is a nice cheap cigar. They don't make berry afaik(they might not even exist anymore as far as that goes :^D ), but it's a nice mellow smoke

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
but it's a nice mellow smoke

Oh man. There's nothing quite nice as a Jack & Coke and a cigar. Although, for some reason at my age of shitty 37 I just can't drink too much alcohol like I used to. My stomach just can't handle it anymore. And with the last three years I've been in and out of the ER for a major pain that occurs sometimes at the top part of my stomach where my esophagus meets. It's been called a gastritis. In one ER visit the doctor was an angel. He prescribed to me this pill (of which the name escapes me atm) and it coats your stomach. That gave me relief. It was a mother fucker! You couldn't sleep and no matter how your turned the pain was right there. Reminded me of the utter pain I had with sciatica. Now that's gone because the damn disk went poof! And disappeared like magician's flash paper. You literally see the missing disk in the MRI. I could in theory get a disk replacement, but the two spine surgeons I've visited pretty much said lose the weight. So that's what I'm trying to do now. We'll see how this shit goes.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Some of the best times in my life were as an early teenager during a particular summer. Late night tv would show two episodes of Soap followed my two episodes of Star Trek tos. It was all over at 2am, and I'd go on the back patio to smoke a cigar. I had a good view of the American flag lighted at the American Legion, and the top of the building, which was roughly federal in style. Everything was quiet, and it was relatively cool. Nice way to finish the day.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Some of the best times in my life were as an early teenager during a particular summer. Late night tv would show two episodes of Soap followed my two episodes of Star Trek tos. It was all over at 2am, and I'd go on the back patio to smoke a cigar. I had a good view of the American flag lighted at the American Legion, and the top of the building, which was roughly federal in style. Everything was quiet, and it was relatively cool. Nice way to finish the day.

LOL Reminds me of when I was in high school. I invited my best friend over for a sleep over in the backyard like we were camping and I ran friggin' cable TV to the back yard and set up a TV. LMAO! We were watching Red Shoe Diaries on Showtime. HAHAHA Ah, cable TV back then was so easy to hijack. Damn.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Speaking of TV. Didn't they have some of the best shows on back then? I mean, the History Channel was THE HISTORY CHANNEL! I watched the friggen' channel all hours of the day. That and CNN and FoxNews. I was in high school then. Histories Mysteries was my favorite and and Modern Marvels. Then on TNT I think it was they had "Dinner and a movie." Cartoon Network actually played a diverse set of cartoons. Not this Teen Titans Go shit all flipping day long. Ever since that ATHF promotion in Boston where stupid people thought this guy was a light-up bomb:

The_Mooninites.png

the channel went down hill. It was due to the CEO or whomever his position was took responsibility and resigned. Then they got this new asshole who has completely and utterly DESTROYED Cartoon Network.

Now there's no more Regular Show, no more Johnny Test, no more Dexter's Laboratory, no more ATHF, no more Loony Tunes Show, no more a lot of shit. I rarely see them play Tom & Jerry anymore and Loony Tunes? Forgetaboutit. You won't see it. If you're gonna call your channel Cartoon Network, then play a damn line up of diverse cartoons FFS. I'd try to obtain the licenses for Hana Barbara, The Real Ghost Busters, GI Joe, Woody Woodpecker, you freaking name it!

Now you may ask, why does a 37 year old watch cartoons? Because the constant bombardment of crap coming out of the news just sucks to see day in and day out. Cartoons are a great escape from reality. Now they took the last channel I watched. Out of the 150 or so channels there is simply shit on. Truly pathetic.

II'd like to buy Cartoon Network. I'd reshape that company. Granted they say streaming is the new thing. But I love broadcast TV. I really don't like to stream anything. I played with Kodi, but I kept getting interruptions as I thought I would. It's not my router or anything, it's the server for that channel.

Last edited: