What first world problem did you have today?

Page 504 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
Doing taxes. Getting hit with the "married, two similar incomes and even 0 withholding is not enough" penalty. Or California raised taxes to hell in 2016 considering there's a $2k swing with no real changes from 2015.

Yeah California's tax table above 100k total household income becomes useless. You will end up owing money, even with 0 withholding.

Same thing happened to my wife and I. We ended up having to have extra with held from each paycheck. There was some form we had to file the first time it happened, to remove some stupid penalty they were trying to say we owe.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Yeah California's tax table above 100k total household income becomes useless. You will end up owing money, even with 0 withholding.

Same thing happened to my wife and I. We ended up having to have extra with held from each paycheck. There was some form we had to file the first time it happened, to remove some stupid penalty they were trying to say we owe.

There's a penalty too? What the hell.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I'm using a crappy government online "tool" for changing some information. Problem is I can't tell if I'm entering information and changing it, or entering information to search and bring up my profile.

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
There's a penalty too? What the hell.

Yeah, but probably not for your situation.

California thinks that whenever you have a big raise in income, that somehow you did something to hide money the previous year. So you have to file a form saying nope, just moved up the ranks.

The wife and I had transitioned from our first job after college at a privately owned company(payed well below market value) to one of the largest database companies, where we got payed what was decent for our jobs.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Twitter keeps erroring out and not loading more stuff. Been this way for days. Something may be overcapacity. I think they're hemorrhaging money and laid a bunch of people off recently. That can't be good/

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
OKCupid has been pretty wacky since last night. Don't they know I need to go get rejected by more beautiful women?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I was just rubbing my pussy, and loosened up a bunch of fur. It's getting to be /that/ time of year :^(

Interesting question though; is it time or temperature based? Seems to be time since the temperature in my house is still a balmy 54F.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
maxresdefault.jpg

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
File Explorer under Win 10 is an absolute cluster fuck. Microsoft needs to stop trying to predict what I'm trying to do. Every time I open File Explorer it expands a list of previously used directories in some random order that only made sense to some pinhead in Redding. PUT THE GOD DAMN DRIVE LETTERS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER! How fucking hard is that? UNIX, CP/M, DOS, all previous versions of Windows knew to do that. Presumably even Apple never thought to list the G: drive ahead of the D: drive because, "Hey you might want the G: drive next." Piss me off.

Give me about five minutes and I should be back with a rant about Amazon Fire's music app that randomly displays album art when it's in the mood to. ;)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
File Explorer under Win 10 is an absolute cluster fuck. Microsoft needs to stop trying to predict what I'm trying to do. Every time I open File Explorer it expands a list of previously used directories in some random order that only made sense to some pinhead in Redding. PUT THE GOD DAMN DRIVE LETTERS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER! How fucking hard is that? UNIX, CP/M, DOS, all previous versions of Windows knew to do that. Presumably even Apple never thought to list the G: drive ahead of the D: drive because, "Hey you might want the G: drive next." Piss me off.

Give me about five minutes and I should be back with a rant about Amazon Fire's music app that randomly displays album art when it's in the mood to. ;)
XP Explorer at works went tits up, so I used Explorer++ for awhile, amd liked it much better than Windows Explorer...

https://explorerplusplus.com/

I ultimately fixed the problem by installing Xubuntu.

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
I found out my mother is moving to a nudist colony with her new husband and nearly choked to death whilst laughing.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I know I got my tax receipt for some charity donations, but for some reason I can't find it anywhere. I finally made myself a folder in my filing cabinet for 2016 taxes so I can start putting all my papers in it as I get them and realized I'm missing that one, but I know I saw it earlier. Just waiting for my T4 and think I'll be able to file. I hope I can find that tax receipt that I seem to have lost though.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
stupid MDF chuncked out when i was doing the edge routing on the speakers im building. now i gotta fix that shit, which delays my veneering even longer

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003

That does sound rather fuct. I can't say I've seen the same behavior, though. I have drives up to maybe G and they're always in the same/alphabetical order. I don't recall which folder it automatically has open when I run it though (not at home); I think it's my Documents folder.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I am not at all happy with Win 10. The only good thing is its available on USB, which frankly is about ten years late.
MS has not been on the cutting edge for a while now. Getting tired of it.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah MS has always been ridiculously behind when it comes to rather basic mainstream stuff. Heck, they FINALLY have tabbed browsing in IE now. NETSCAPE had that. NETSCAPE. And yeah it's about time they have USB boot. The only reason I even put a cdrom drive on a machine anymore is if I want to install Windows on it.

What's funny is that in some aspecs they are even going steps behind. Like removing the ability to go classic mode, or to even change GUI colors. There's like zero customization in 10. Those white blocky dialogs with barely no borders or any separation between different GUI elements are super annoying.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Oh yeah I forgot about that.
Loaded up Windows 10 for the first time, went looking for Classic mode, dug around online, discovered its not there any more.

Am not happy.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
My broker can't seem to keep track of the cost basis for things I've sold. What the f*** do I pay you people for? Had to call them to get them to research it. Fortunately Turbo Tax is smart enough to realize that when gross proceeds and cost basis are equal, something is amiss.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My broker can't seem to keep track of the cost basis for things I've sold. What the f*** do I pay you people for? Had to call them to get them to research it. Fortunately Turbo Tax is smart enough to realize that when gross proceeds and cost basis are equal, something is amiss.

Is he on Wall Street?

Cuz if he's on Wall Street the bastard is gonna fuck you over and then beg for a bailout from your tax dollars.
So be ready for a govt. check for about 3.95 some time next year.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I didn't really follow that but they probably are in violation of some regulation. It's not a huge deal but if they can't keep track of purchases and sales and manage to match the two up so as to be able to tell me what my profit and loss was then . . . you know . . . wtf?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I didn't really follow that but they probably are in violation of some regulation. It's not a huge deal but if they can't keep track of purchases and sales and manage to match the two up so as to be able to tell me what my profit and loss was then . . . you know . . . wtf?
Amateurs... I start at the end with the amount of money I want back, then adjust the numbers to achieve that. I charge a premium for my tax preparation services, but I'll cut you a break since I know you ;^)

Reactions: Charmonium

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000

Shit... Wish my broker had that option years ago -- I was ready to pay over a grand for someone to do it for me when I first started trading. Instead, I spent like a week of evenings figuring it out and adding it up one by one, googling how to calculate ACB... Then I had to do it again when I realized I had to do it for foreign currency on an ongoing basis too.

Oh, and I found out that caffeine is a laxative. Considering the issues I've had with evacuating things, that explains a lot since I have one coffee a day.

Edit: I also discovered why I haven't been able to find a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher for sale in regular stores locally: $280 for a fucking 5 lb model. A powder one, I think, is under $100 for 5 lb. Guess you need quality and technique when compressing a gas down to a liquid at room temperature.

Last edited: