What first world problem did you have today?

Page 503 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Hope the Missus is ok NS1. :(

In order to use my headphones with my new tv I needed an optical to analog converter. I guess the reason they don't have analog out on new sets is that all of the inputs are digital so I don't suppose I can get too upset. Although really, how much extra would it cost for a D/A chip?

So I buy a converter that does 192k. It's slightly larger than a small box of stick matches. The destructions come on what looks like a third of a sheet of letter paper folded in sixths and with printing is microfiche sized fonts. I can barely read it even with my glasses. Fortunately a converter is a pretty simple beast. The inputs go to the input ports the outputs get plugged into the output ports and . . . you're done.

louis redfoot

Feb 2, 2017
Noticed I was dangerously low on gas while I was parking for a union meeting so after I went to the closest station, one I don't normally go to. For some reason it would not let me pump gas, but it did have ability to pay at pump which I've never done before, so had to fiddle around with that in the cold instead of just pump and go inside. Also could not input an exact amount but had to pick from a list, so I picked $50 figuring that should be good enough, and I'll top it off next time I'm at a "normal" gas station. I know you can prepump like any other gas station there since I've done it before when getting gas for the snow blower (it's the only station in town that has ethanol free) but for some reason it was giving me trouble today.

Speaking of snow blower I got mine back from getting fixed, but did not get a chance to try it yet, hopefully tomorrow. There is a lot of snow to move. I was lazy and was just shoveling it in middle of driveway knowing that I'll get my snow blower.

512mb with all that? sounds a bit high

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Ended up in the ER with the wife. Watched 2 doctors and 2 RN's work on her and mentally just tallied up all the $$$'s.

I took a box of tissues from the room and gave it to her - I'm imaging a $10 insurance charge.

Anyone know what 2 doses of IV morphine run?

4 hours in the ER ran $2400, after receiving a 20% discount for paying immediately....

But hey at least we almost hit our deductible today. LOL

That doesn't include the 20% co-pay in excess of the deductible.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Ended up in the ER with the wife. Watched 2 doctors and 2 RN's work on her and mentally just tallied up all the $$$'s.

I took a box of tissues from the room and gave it to her - I'm imaging a $10 insurance charge.

Anyone know what 2 doses of IV morphine run?

Last time I went in for a kidney stone, I think one shot of morphine was about 200 dollars.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Lurking a forum so don't have an ignore feature...

And Twitter is being a bitch. It won't load older tweets for some accounts.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I bought some rosemary yesterday to try recreating the Quaker oats instant rosemary/apple/cheddar oatmeal, but using steel cut oats, and it's nowhere to be found. I don't know what happened to it, and I was really looking forward to that this morning :^(

Got another bottle of rosemary; a grinder from walmart. The grinder doesn't work that well. The bits mostly fall through, but it's good enough.

I made the oatmeal this morning, and it was a little disappointing. It wasn't as aromatic as the Quaker formula, and the flavors seemed to clash. I used 1/2 cup dry steel cut oats, 1/3 apple, 2tsp sugar, 1tbsp butter, some amount of rosemary, and some salt. It was finished with shredded cheddar. I probably need some "natural flavor". I wonder if they sell that at the store :^D

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I saw a news story about two doctors and thought that I was doing better than both of them... One of those doctors murdered the other one and stuffed the body into a suitcase, then threw it under an overpass. At least I'm not dead or doing 25 years to life?

The problem is that I feel bad for thinking that. Take that thought-police.

Reactions: Charmonium

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
can't you just plant a bunch of bushes in your front lawn or even a vase on a balcony?

Rip off a few short branches next time you see a rosemary plant, put them in drenched earth in a vase and you will get at least 1 rosemary, for free, forever.

Fresh rosemary has a very aromatic taste. You need it for lamb and potatoes anyway.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
can't you just plant a bunch of bushes in your front lawn or even a vase on a balcony?

Rip off a few short branches next time you see a rosemary plant, put them in drenched earth in a vase and you will get at least 1 rosemary, for free, forever.

Fresh rosemary has a very aromatic taste. You need it for lamb and potatoes anyway.
Rosemary isn't something you see growing wild around here, but I agree with your overall point. I've been wanting to get some herbs going. I just need to get off my ass and do it.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
Rosemary isn't something you see growing wild around here, but I agree with your overall point. I've been wanting to get some herbs going. I just need to get off my ass and do it.
Well you can always vandalize a garden :p
The great thing about herbs is that they're bushes or grasses that mostly take care of themselves so a herb garden is very low-maintenance for the value you get out of it, unlike vegetables.
But I guess it also depends on the climate of your location.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Let me tell you about rosemary. Do you remember way back in the 80s how shoe stores took over the world? How every mall and shopping center was clogged with shoe stores? That is how it is with rosemary. Rosemary will take over your yard and kill your other plants. Sure, you can start it in a pot but it will escape. Then it will hunt you down and kill you. Rosemary is what cockroaches will live on after the nuclear holocaust. The house we bought came with rosemary bushes. We won the war but not without an epic struggle. There is still one patch of ground formerly occupied by a rosemary bush that will not grow any other plants, fifteen years after we ripped out the rosemary.

"clogged" with shoes stores, get it? I slay me.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Doing taxes. Getting hit with the "married, two similar incomes and even 0 withholding is not enough" penalty. Or California raised taxes to hell in 2016 considering there's a $2k swing with no real changes from 2015.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Overslept way too much today and now I'm all screwed up. I set my alarm for 12pm but I don't actually remember it going off. Woke up at like 6pm. Hate when that happens, waste of a day.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Overslept way too much today and now I'm all screwed up. I set my alarm for 12pm but I don't actually remember it going off. Woke up at like 6pm. Hate when that happens, waste of a day.

I wish I slept that well... I'd have woken up automatically every hour or two.

Edit: P.S. I found out that Australia may not use GPA, letter grades, or even percentage grades in schools. Some schools apparently do, but I think I read that they use terms like "Distinction" and "Credit." Dafuq...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_grading_in_Australia

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I usually end up waking up a few times to pee but I'm so out of it I barely remember and fall asleep before I even touch the pillow. I always have a hard time actually initially falling asleep but once I do I'm out like a rock even if something wakes me after the fact, which takes a lot.

Last edited:

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Freaking uber drivers think its OK to just double park anywhere they want. Double park on a major thoroughfare street and and cause cars to have to swerve into the oncoming traffic lane? Sure, why not? Double park in a bike lane and cause bicyclists to have to dart into the driving lane? No problem, just go ahead and put everyone at risk! After all, you do have to pick up that passenger don't you!?

F you all.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
All of the hot and cold weather changes are driving me nut.

I hate that crap too. It was in the -20 range which is normal for this time of year now it's almost in the positives. Been back and forth like that for past few months. I would rather it just stay cold. The only blessing is that when it's hot like that the heat barely has to run.