What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 122 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

P1ayboy

Jul 17, 2018
Well copied the file across instead of just trying to load it and then run windows And it seems to have taken.
Running the 705050 file as i was concerned -100 might be too much without being able to test it.
i got +50 score in XTU and the cpu now idles around 670mv.
surprised that lower volts = more performance but its certainly welcome!
Thanks!
I'm glad you have the results. I set myself 905050 at 2696. Rarely began to get errors with -100, so I changed it.

racore

Dec 22, 2019
EFI -100 50 50
2696v3 works well
You can download it from the link below.

View attachment 18745View attachment 18746
Hi,
I tested each efi file and many others. (Payne MOF ...)
I noticed the CPU TDP does not exceed 165W, no matter the EFI file. I block at 3.3GHZ with little or no performance gain ..
the VCORE blocks at 0.95V.
By deactivating CORE, the frequency, the VCORE goes up.
The system is slow. There is a technique with a hackintosh to remedy this problem, from what I read.

But with my bad English, I am not able to follow this tutorial

mr.hat

Jan 31, 2017
Who have E5 V4, check this out
One guy claiming, that e5 v4 can boost all cores at highest multiplier on asus boards with MCE Enabled and released all TDP limits, LLC5, power saving off
file.php

Fury13

Mar 8, 2020
Who have E5 V4, check this out
One guy claiming, that e5 v4 can boost all cores at highest multiplier on asus boards with MCE Enabled and released all TDP limits, LLC5, power saving off
file.php
Any more info on this?
Is it done the same way, or is it a different process?

dj_adam21

Sep 24, 2017
Hey guys what is the max turbo u get on E5 2696V3 all 18 core and what settings do you use?
Also GeekBench and CB results would be awesome

tailele

Mar 25, 2020
i have a question...I have a z10pa d8 , i read all the guides, so i remove the cpu code, i disable the c6 and c3 managment ; but i don't understand which type of TU drivers must i do in a board with double cpu; i understand that i couldn t use efi driver buti i must use .ffs, and then i understand that the numbers says the undervoltage ; but i must use the normal one or the x2 one? and for you is better mantein the same voltage or reduce it? Thanks a lot guys

Fury13

Mar 8, 2020
I've swapped CPU from a 2630v3 that was running flawlessly to a 2680v3 that is giving me BSOD with the error CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.
Does anyone know if the CPU could be faulty?
I was running the -70-50-50 EFI, but switched to -50-50-50 to test as well and problem still occurs.
Does anyone have a default 0-0-0 EFI I could use to try and see if that alleviates the problem?

Thanks.

Peaches182

Mar 25, 2019
I've swapped CPU from a 2630v3 that was running flawlessly to a 2680v3 that is giving me BSOD with the error CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.
Does anyone know if the CPU could be faulty?
I was running the -70-50-50 EFI, but switched to -50-50-50 to test as well and problem still occurs.
Does anyone have a default 0-0-0 EFI I could use to try and see if that alleviates the problem?

Thanks.
-70 - 50 -50 could well be your issue. Reducing the tension that much could create instabilities resulting in the messages you have.

Regs

Peaches182

tailele

Mar 25, 2020
Good morning boys , i wonder if is it possibile to have some help to modding the bios ( before now , anyone responds me....:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:) of my mainboards. I have 5 systems that are connected with sfp+ 10gbs ; 4 systems with asus z10pa d8 and the principal node with asus z10pe d8. All the nodes mount two E5 2678v3 cpu; i would increse the performances of my system . The SO is windows 10. Now i have read very lots guides ; so i could resume the procedure in some points:
- install SO with uefi mode and do a 100mb EFI partition
- Download the original bios from asus website
- Open the original bios with mmtool and remove (in cpu patch ) under "Platform type" the line with 6F ; the save the bios with another name , for example mod1.bin
- Open mod1.bin with uefitool and under bios region , find the "code line" with more line ; select the last line (volume free space ) and select "insert before" ; now inject the Tu drivers , in my case "v3x2_payne_0_0.ffs" . In this case the "0_0" indicate the offset of the undervoltage for the cpu and for the ram; i could staser with the default value and the decrese it. In any case now i must save the bios another time , for example mod2.bin
-Open mod2.bin with AMIBCP and under the path :"intelRCsetup"-"advanced power managment"- "cpu c state control" , disable cpu c6 report from "failsafe" and "optimal" ; save another time the bios with mod3.bin

Now the bios could be ready for the write. So i buyed a ch341A programmer (because the bios in both the mainboards is locked ), i'll remove the windbond W25Q128fp create a back up of the bios with Asprogrammer (size 16777216 , page 256, SPI commands 25xx ) ; load the mod3.bin bios and write it.
In this case my bios is ready to mount it on the mainboard.
- After this , i'll prepare a usb stick (format fat 32 ) with driver v3.efi ; reboot the system and boot it from usb stick; save the istruction on efi partition of the diskdrive. Then reset bios for example remove the battery.
- Load Windows and back up the "mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll" in System 32 from cmd with te command del-mcu-file.bat ( that in inside a folder in my desktop) ; it ll rename with "mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll.bak". So i could remove .bak to return in the original configuration
-Finally i could install the new driver for the cpus with "cpumcudate" from prompt and restart the system

So , is it all correct? or i do some error? thanks a lot

Zorg33

Oct 21, 2019
Good morning boys , i wonder if is it possibile to have some help to modding the bios ( before now , anyone responds me....:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:) of my mainboards. I have 5 systems that are connected with sfp+ 10gbs ; 4 systems with asus z10pa d8 and the principal node with asus z10pe d8. All the nodes mount two E5 2678v3 cpu; i would increse the performances of my system . The SO is windows 10. Now i have read very lots guides ; so i could resume the procedure in some points:
- install SO with uefi mode and do a 100mb EFI partition
- Download the original bios from asus website
- Open the original bios with mmtool and remove (in cpu patch ) under "Platform type" the line with 6F ; the save the bios with another name , for example mod1.bin
- Open mod1.bin with uefitool and under bios region , find the "code line" with more line ; select the last line (volume free space ) and select "insert before" ; now inject the Tu drivers , in my case "v3x2_payne_0_0.ffs" . In this case the "0_0" indicate the offset of the undervoltage for the cpu and for the ram; i could staser with the default value and the decrese it. In any case now i must save the bios another time , for example mod2.bin
-Open mod2.bin with AMIBCP and under the path :"intelRCsetup"-"advanced power managment"- "cpu c state control" , disable cpu c6 report from "failsafe" and "optimal" ; save another time the bios with mod3.bin

Now the bios could be ready for the write. So i buyed a ch341A programmer (because the bios in both the mainboards is locked ), i'll remove the windbond W25Q128fp create a back up of the bios with Asprogrammer (size 16777216 , page 256, SPI commands 25xx ) ; load the mod3.bin bios and write it.
In this case my bios is ready to mount it on the mainboard.
- After this , i'll prepare a usb stick (format fat 32 ) with driver v3.efi ; reboot the system and boot it from usb stick; save the istruction on efi partition of the diskdrive. Then reset bios for example remove the battery.
- Load Windows and back up the "mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll" in System 32 from cmd with te command del-mcu-file.bat ( that in inside a folder in my desktop) ; it ll rename with "mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll.bak". So i could remove .bak to return in the original configuration
-Finally i could install the new driver for the cpus with "cpumcudate" from prompt and restart the system

So , is it all correct? or i do some error? thanks a lot
I am simply using the uefi program on my z10pa-d8 like on all the other boards.
Delete the ucode, and add the uefi driver from uefi shell with the bcfg command.

tailele

Mar 25, 2020
I am simply using the uefi program on my z10pa-d8 like on all the other boards.
Delete the ucode, and add the uefi driver from uefi shell with the bcfg command.
Thanks for the reply. It Is vert strange, because i know that the BIOS Is Locked. I tryed to read the BIOS but It Is not possible. Maybe could be the cpu? Because i m waiting the new CPU from Cina, now i mount a es version.

Retrobalu

Apr 30, 2020
Hello all guys!

please help me....
X10DAI Bios.... or X10DAC...
modded bios does anyone have any more?

Erik7557

Feb 17, 2020
Hey veryone, I am lookig to buy a qey8 e5 2696 v3 xeon it is not the final version but will i be able to run the mod on it?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Hey veryone, I am lookig to buy a qey8 e5 2696 v3 xeon it is not the final version but will i be able to run the mod on it?
I would say just "maybe". I had a 2683v3 ES that I tried to use modded bios on, and it would not post. I had to switch bad to the "safe" bios and then reflash it to stock.

Erik7557

Feb 17, 2020
Thanks for the fast reply, i've heard only qs and retail samples can do it. do you know if the QGEP e5 2699 v3 Is a QS or is it an ES?
Kind regards!
I really don't know how to spot the difference the only thing i can find are c0/c1 steppings :/

Edit:extra info

Godzillasbits

May 4, 2020
Thanks for the reply. It Is vert strange, because i know that the BIOS Is Locked. I tryed to read the BIOS but It Is not possible. Maybe could be the cpu? Because i m waiting the new CPU from Cina, now i mount a es version.

I also have an Asus x99 deluxe, ran both 2640v3 and 2690v3 with great stable results at -90_50voltage offset, not quite the multi core beast of my 4.0ghz OC 1950x threadripper but for the money and age they make great render slaves and render managers for me, run pretty cool on idle and full load too.

Pretty straight forward mod for asus and flashed various times until I reached -90_50, may try -100/-150 voltages if anyone has these? but more than happy with performance I’m getting now. Best way by far I found to do this was simply to create a freedos boot usb using rufus, then copy afudos.exe and a simple autoexec.bat file across to the root usb directory, then finally dump the modified bios.bin file with desired voltage driver into the root directory. Once that’s done, plug it up to the usb 2.0 slot at rear, enter bios, under secure boot option change to “other os” then select the usb drive under boot tab menu and hey presto it’ll run automatically from there, once bios updated, reset machine and validate turbo speeds via cpuid, hwinfo, cinebench etc

Zorg33

Oct 21, 2019
Hi guys!

A question for the most experienced ones:

After many successful attempts with E5 v3 xeons, I'm currently struggling with a quad E7 V3 QS system.
Microcodes removed from BIOS.
I can compile freecableguy's efi latest driver with the 306F3 microcode and it runs at bootup just fine.
Sets all turbo multipliers to 33x and the -50mV offsets.
When the OS loads up I see all cores in cpu-z between 3.0-3.3 GHz, that is fine.
But as soon as I apply heavy load on the cores it resets itself back to the stock 29x.

I've been looking at MSR documentations for the last few days.
Also tried to compile the efi with different combinations of the switches (enable/disable VR, lock the OC, override FIVR, etc.)
But nothing helps.

I checked the related MSRs in OS and everything seems to be fine. All the turbo ratios remain 33x in all three MSR 0x1AD, 0x1AE, 0x1AF.
But actual clock is still stuck at 29x.
I also noticed something weird, that in throttlestop the EDP limit becomes red (and also the max turbo is red, however it still shows 33x is set for all cores) and I can't change the locked 220A current limit.
I even tried to overwrite it (MSR_PACKAGE_CURRENT_LIMIT 0x601 12:0) in the EFI driver to 300A, but has no effect and remains at 220A.

The voltage mods are working well by the way. The cpus dropped 10C on full load.

I see that freecableguy claims that the hack works on E7 Haswell CPUs too, but I cannot find any evidence around the web.
Update: I have found the screenshot in this forum of the 306F2 ES E7 V3 on unlocked all-core turbo, but what about 306F3?
Update2: Meanwhile I found that Win10 does not have any microcode for 306F3, so I was running with no microcode. I also tried microcodes A and D, but nothing actually changes. I'm starting to think that only E7 ES 306F2 is able to unlock all-core turbo and F3&F4 aren't.

I appriciate any help!

Last edited:

tailele

Mar 25, 2020
I tried with a e5 2620v3 with One of my z10pa d8 and all goes well..
So the cpu under strees up ti 3.2 GHz.... Only a thing ,why does the RAM recognize ti 1833 instead 2133???? Is there some option to set this valute?

dsenela

May 11, 2020
I have an ASUS x99-ws/IPMI motherboard with latest bios 4001 running a 2670 v3. Can somebody please point me to instructions of how to mod the bios to unlock turbo on all cores? I have spent countless hours on the internet searching for a working solution for this board without luck. Most instructions I get end up not working for me. Alternatively if anyone has an already modded BIOS for this board they wish to share I will be very thankful. Thank you very much.

Zorg33

Oct 21, 2019
I have an ASUS x99-ws/IPMI motherboard with latest bios 4001 running a 2670 v3. Can somebody please point me to instructions of how to mod the bios to unlock turbo on all cores? I have spent countless hours on the internet searching for a working solution for this board without luck. Most instructions I get end up not working for me. Alternatively if anyone has an already modded BIOS for this board they wish to share I will be very thankful. Thank you very much.
https://www.win-raid.com/t5216f47-Microcode-update-on-F-ES-cpu-Asus-X-S-v.html