What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 95 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xma

Apr 19, 2017
Anyone could share latest modded (Only removed CPU MicroCode) bios for Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 Version 3703

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
Last edited:

Zladimir

Apr 14, 2011
Does anyone know how CPU / OS decides if to use "per core boost" or "all core boost" ?

Testing with Prime95 using torture 3 threads CPU runs in per core boost, but once I switch over to 4 threads CPU prefers to use all core boost.
That is quite inefficient as with 4 threads in per core boost he would utilize more power. How is your experience ? Does anyone know how to influence that ?

Ive C3 and C6 disabled and boot microcode in OS (win10).

kijun93

Aug 6, 2016
this is my new 2670 v3 QS.
all core turbo hack can go up to 31x which is the maximum 1 core turbo ratio without under-volting.
and i increased bclk a bit.

vr2hj6o.jpg

RofhGuq.jpg

zW37dOe.png

Zladimir

Apr 14, 2011
I found out something new. Might be interesting for you.

So as many people observed, running inside of OS without microcode your cpu utilizes a higher multiplier, yes ?
Probably, we all wondered why.

So if you start Windows with OS-microcode also start hwinfo64 und stress all your cores (prime95, cpuz, whatever) and observe your uncore ratio. You will see once it gets load, it will go to max ratio (in my case 30). It makes no difference if only one core or all cores are stressed.
If you do the same starting Windows without OS-microcode, it won't do the same. If I stress all my cores (18), than uncore ratio (=Cache Speed) remains at minimum (in my case 12).
If you use Prime95 you can change the amount of workers/threads. If I do so, using 6, 8 or 12, I will see than uncore/cache ratio is reduced (less than my 30), but not running on the minimum! If I use only 2-3 worker, uncore/cache ratio is running on max.

As cache frequency (fed by cache voltage) is well-known calculated inside of EDP, it limits your max core ratio being dependend on that.
So by my observation without microcode cpu is just priotizing cpu ratio over cache ratio (and with microcode just the opposite) if running at EDP limit.

Is it good or not ? From what I know cpu heavy tasks need core ratio power, while cache ratio power (yes it sounds silly) helps you with RAM heavy tasks (it determines the L-cache (offload) speeds so far I know).

As I utilize the full power of quad channel RAM heavy tasks arent my problem (I barely notice difference testing in AIDA64), but the cpu heavy tasks are. So it makes for me more sense to priotize cpu ratio over cache ratio and I think I'll stick without microcode.

Furthermore as a side effect I noticed, that without microcode my OS is better at deciding if per core boost or all core boost is needed. See my last post above. Without microcode even tasking 10 or 14 threads/workers the cpu tries to speed up those cores most, while the others keep offloaded. Quite nice!

It also means, if you use OS-microcode and limit your max cache ratio, your core ratio will rise higher. But it wont happen without OS-microcode (as it limits by itself if needed).

Zladimir

Apr 14, 2011
Did anyone tried to use fixed core voltage instead of core voltage offset, and if so how are the results ?

timk1980

May 11, 2017
Did anyone tried to use fixed core voltage instead of core voltage offset, and if so how are the results ?

In general that's usually a bad idea. You'd have to set your fixed voltage >= whatever is the max that would be needed at full load. For 99.9% of the time, that would be more than you'd need, which will cause you a lot of pain in terms of thermals.

Zladimir

Apr 14, 2011
In general that's usually a bad idea. You'd have to set your fixed voltage >= whatever is the max that would be needed at full load. For 99.9% of the time, that would be more than you'd need, which will cause you a lot of pain in terms of thermals.

Not necessarily, cause the question is different.
Its more like, how well is the voltage curve of Intel ?
And as second, if we use adaptive undervolt and lower it too much, do we get instability for high, medium or low core load, or for the load switch ? No one can tell this. But all of them are possible.
If it is such case, fixed voltage can be a better way to go.

Jack32X

Jun 28, 2018
Hi again, so my x99 deluxe died (in the process of moving house, was on an open test bed and dropped it, fail) so went to RMA it, they could only offer the x99 Deluxe II. Does anyone have the modded bios for that? Thanks!!

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
I had deluxe 2, but I do not have the moded bios.
Top right is search and select search in this thread, asus bios and surely you will find, there are a few, links are still valid for download

jackthe ripper

Jul 11, 2018
Hi all, I am getting Wrong CPU message with v3.efi, and link to V3_1.efi is dead, can anyone please upload it somwhere, I am running 2695 v3 ES. Thanks
I was trying to load anyway v3.efi, is that mean i would need to delete it before proceeding with V3_1.efi ?

Thanks in advance.

foureight84

Nov 5, 2017
It's been so long since I've been on this thread.

I just bought two E5 2666 V3 QFSC ES Chips. My motherboard is an Asus Z10PE-D8 WS. I'm trying to figure out the steps I have to take to get this working. Could someone kindly help me out?

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
with pleasure.
I'll look at you here, at what stage you've reached, but I'm cleaning up through my grades and I'm posting here, everyone seeing the links that still work, I've been running i9 7980xe processor for some time.
success

plonialmoni

Aug 4, 2017
I have a Noctua NH-D14, in a HAF 912 case with sufficient airflow, do you think this is enough cooling for an all-core turboed Xeon using one of these BIOS mods?

mrpiggy

Apr 19, 2012
I have a Noctua NH-D14, in a HAF 912 case with sufficient airflow, do you think this is enough cooling for an all-core turboed Xeon using one of these BIOS mods?

I run an 18-core at 3.75Ghz-ish all turbo (36x + 105blck). The highest temps I get are around mid-60's C with a smaller cooler than that Noctua at full load. These processors do not get that hot since you aren't dumping in a lot of extra voltage like you would with a normal overclock beyond a processor's stock speeds. You are simply fooling the processor into allowing all the cores to run at full turbo speed all the time instead of just a couple of cores for a little bit. These processors are normally stuck into tiny little 1U server chassis with a crappy little heat sink and tons of noisy airflow. In a big desktop case ad a good CPU cooler, they run quite cool.

Reactions: plonialmoni

plonialmoni

Aug 4, 2017
I run an 18-core at 3.75Ghz-ish all turbo (36x + 105blck). The highest temps I get are around mid-60's C with a smaller cooler than that Noctua at full load. These processors do not get that hot since you aren't dumping in a lot of extra voltage like you would with a normal overclock beyond a processor's stock speeds. You are simply fooling the processor into allowing all the cores to run at full turbo speed all the time instead of just a couple of cores for a little bit. These processors are normally stuck into tiny little 1U server chassis with a crappy little heat sink and tons of noisy airflow. In a big desktop case ad a good CPU cooler, they run quite cool.

18 cores you say? I had read a long time ago in this thread that the limit was 12 cores for the all-core turbo, and you basically had to deactivate other cores to sustain it if the processor had more...? Has that changed, or maybe my recollection is faulty?

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
Has anyone a step for step guide in english for this site? Big thanks.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk
2 options: use google chrome in your language and automatically translate
or copy what it says there and translate with Google Translate
but the images are pretty suggestive

Bl@Ze

Aug 17, 2017
2 options: use google chrome in your language and automatically translate
or copy what it says there and translate with Google Translate
but the images are pretty suggestive
The guide is functional for ASUS Z10PE-D16 with two E5-2699Cv4?
I have the 65 TPD CPU Variants and reg. ECC Ram.

Thanks.

mrpiggy

Apr 19, 2012
18 cores you say? I had read a long time ago in this thread that the limit was 12 cores for the all-core turbo, and you basically had to deactivate other cores to sustain it if the processor had more...? Has that changed, or maybe my recollection is faulty?

Under very light loads you can run them all, it will start quickly dropping down the number of cores at full turbo as the load increases. Even when dropping core speeds under loads, the machine rocks in terms of being able to do things simultaneously. There's a cinebench 11.5 thread that has my score at #11 in the 8+ processor category. All the the cores are at 32X on this benchmark.

Reactions: plonialmoni

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
The guide is functional for ASUS Z10PE-D16 with two E5-2699Cv4?
I have the 65 TPD CPU Variants and reg. ECC Ram.

Thanks.
I do not know what's up there, I've already had 5-6 months since I have another processor and I do not care.
I made available those links for the new ones to benefit from them
search the site and see what's in there