What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 94 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kijun93

Aug 6, 2016
I got my 2697 v3 QS unlocked up to x35 for all core turbo boost.
My setting is below if anyone need it.

My mobo is Asus Rampage V Extreme.

TDP is unlockable by Intel XTU
(only for TDP. other settings lock the multiplier back. You'll have to reboot the system)

Vcore offset -0.070v
Cache offset -0.050v
Agent offset -0.050v

Vcore LLC Level 6

VR settings are auto

The result is that multiplier x35 can hold on load.
Linx 0.9.2 gets x32 multiplier. The temperature is around 82C.

BadSimian

Apr 22, 2018
So I tried CANONKONG's bios from page 54 or so on my ASRock Extreme 6 board (X99 Extreme6 lock-50mv) and I am seeing no difference. I am running unRAID and a Windows VM in that. I can't see that would make any difference would it? I should still see some increase in CPU speed I would have thought? My CPU is a v3 E5-2695 GFGQ.

Is there something else I need to change in the BIOS settings after flashing?

UPDATE: Being daft, VMs don't report true speed it turns out. If I SSH in and do :-

grep MHz /proc/cpustats

then I can see it all max turbo at 3.1MHz....thought it would have been higher though. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

Last edited:

BadSimian

Apr 22, 2018
Does ANYONE have this working with LINUX? I know Windows loads the microcode but I need to be in Linux (UnRAID) and have that use KVM to load various VMs. So how do you load the microcode with Linux?

It should be possible to do it the V3.EFI way as unRAID allows UEFI boot now. However I never quite managed it.

Instead on page 54 or so, CANONKONG posted links to hacked bioses that they prepared with the patch built into it so all you need to do is flash the bios. This is what I did (follow the link, it is a folder and inside are all the bioses for different flavours of mobo by that manufacturer)

Once you have flashed that bios you should find the all max turbo is much higher (see previous post to check what it is running at) and remember that inside the VM it will still look like the base clock speed.

raun0

Apr 2, 2018
Does ANYONE have this working with LINUX? I know Windows loads the microcode but I need to be in Linux (UnRAID) and have that use KVM to load various VMs. So how do you load the microcode with Linux?

I am going to unRaid also. I have made custom bios with .ffs file that contains same drivers that .efi file does. Newest unRaid contains newest intel microcodes ( check the change log https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer-6.5.2-x86_64.txt ). So you will be patched against meltdown and spectre native. It is imporant to load .ffs in bios level without microcode and unRaid will be load microcodes after that on OS level.

shorty1111

Jun 21, 2017
Hello guys, finally i tried modded bios! thanks to Kris Boughton for helping me and giving me bios file for Asrock Taichi and 2696v3 xeon. Ive got @3.2GHZ @ all cores. Im wondering can i go higher :D? I tried with 107.5 and 109buss and results r the same :eek: idk why

any help, im new here! thanks!!!!

https://ibb.co/hJ9M2o

timk1980

May 11, 2017
2696v3 xeon. Ive got @3.2GHZ @ all cores. Im wondering can i go higher :D?

I assume you're already using ThrottleStop, or an EFI that has powercut invoked in it naturally. How do your power and temps look? Both of those tend to get *much* higher, and quickly. (On my machine with dual sockets, I can't exceed x32 when using all 18 cores)

Are you using one of the EFIs that reduces core voltage? That'll be a necessary part of the process, and even then, there's some silicon luck in how much you can do so and still maintain stability. I've seen folks in these forums get as good as -100mV, though personally even a small undervolt usually doesn't work for me.

I tried with 107.5 and 109buss and results r the same :eek: idk why

Did your system actually boot? I've yet to hear of anyone successfully setting bclk higher than 105.9 on any of these chips. (I current run at 105, perfectly stable, but from what I understand, even that is somewhat lucky)

shorty1111

Jun 21, 2017
I assume you're already using ThrottleStop, or an EFI that has powercut invoked in it naturally. How do your power and temps look? Both of those tend to get *much* higher, and quickly. (On my machine with dual sockets, I can't exceed x32 when using all 18 cores)

Are you using one of the EFIs that reduces core voltage? That'll be a necessary part of the process, and even then, there's some silicon luck in how much you can do so and still maintain stability. I've seen folks in these forums get as good as -100mV, though personally even a small undervolt usually doesn't work for me.

Did your system actually boot? I've yet to hear of anyone successfully setting bclk higher than 105.9 on any of these chips. (I current run at 105, perfectly stable, but from what I understand, even that is somewhat lucky)

hello, thanks for answer!!! "ThrottleStop" erm... sry im new ive never mod bios or oc cpu ... i read forum and maybe i understood 30% hahaha sry! so.. i tried with rendering Vray and corona, also cinebench ( 2800 cb ) and CPUz test.. temps ar around ~65 buss speed 109 ( now is 104.5 and speed is the same.... lol )

"Are you using one of the EFIs that reduces core voltage?" where can i check that, Kris told me something vCore -65.. :D current temps running CB https://ibb.co/f1Yj58

sry for my english!

thanks!!!

shorty1111

Jun 21, 2017

i couldnt find cpu multiplier also......i read somewhere that windows override bios MC?

timk1980

May 11, 2017
i couldnt find cpu multiplier also......i read somewhere that windows override bios MC?

yes... there's a driver in windows that loads its own microcode. c:\windows\system32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll

Boot into safe mode, and rename that file (with .old on the end or similar) to prevent that from happening.

That *may* allow your chip to go to a higher multiplier.

sounds like you have a -65mV power adjustment, which is pretty good. See what happens with the microcode. do you have the exact name for the .EFI file you're using?

shorty1111

Jun 21, 2017
again me, sry guys for spamming but i want to share with u what i learned tonight ( after 6 hrs of playing haha )
i used modded bios Kris gave me with no microcode, i tried with 27, 39 and f1 and very low clock speed... but higher CB..... without microcode ive got 3238.47mhz in corona render but lower CB score :) also renaming file from system32 helped me to gain x33 multiplier instead of x32! :D

temps r oke from 65-70c full load and 152W

Mityaz

Jun 14, 2018
HI.
I have Xeon 2696 and Im not sure what version of efi driver I have (in POST it looks like: Core:38 Uncore:38, then progress bar * running and showing "Done!").
It works pretty well, but maybe, there is a newer better versions that I can use?
I tried this driver, but windows hangs after loading (I have tried almost all versions):
https://github.com/freecableguy/v3x4

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

kjboughton

Dec 19, 2007
HI.
I have Xeon 2696 and Im not sure what version of efi driver I have (in POST it looks like: Core:38 Uncore:38, then progress bar * running and showing "Done!").
It works pretty well, but maybe, there is a newer better versions that I can use?
I tried this driver, but windows hangs after loading (I have tried almost all versions):
https://github.com/freecableguy/v3x4

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

You must disable C6 in BIOS. I recommend you also enable C3.
FCG

Reactions: Mityaz

Irgen

Feb 22, 2018
At last i was able to unlock my 2696 on z10pe-d8, using pre-modded bios Version 3501 and want to share my results.
With v3x2_60-50-50_39_vcc.efi i've got 5200 in cinebench with temps ~75C, all cores at 3.4 maxed out
after that i flashed Version 3703 -not modded- and got 4750 with bclock 105, temps ~70C, all cores at 2.94
before that on Version 3501-not modded- and bclock 105, it was 4300-4400

So ASUS stated
1.Update CPU MicroCode
2.Improve system performance
for the Version 3703 seems true

any owners of z10pe-d8 in this thread? what else i should tweak in bios to increase perfomance some more?
Now its basically on default settings with just that bclock overclock. I plan to leave it like that until i get some better cooling (currently 2x prolimatech megahalems)

Jack32X

Jun 28, 2018
Hi Folks, got this running and it's awesome, 3.2ghz across all 12 cores (plus hyperthreads!) on my E5-2673 V3, however on my Asus X99 Deluxe I can't seem to get the efi driver to load in on boot each time. I had secureboot disabled and followed the guide to copy the driver into the EFI partition but it loaded in once and didnt do it upon reboot. Additionally when I try to boot into the usb with the files to re-apply it and all of my HDDs are plugged in it cannot detect where the USB drive is so the command to load the driver doesn't work either. It's only when I disconnect those drives bar the SSD. Obviously that's too much hassle to do each time, anyone got any suggestions for a workaround? I have one 128gbSSD, two HDDs in spanned (total 1.5TB 7200rpm) and a 2TB SSHD hybrid drive.

Irgen

Feb 22, 2018
Hi Folks, got this running and it's awesome, 3.2ghz across all 12 cores (plus hyperthreads!) on my E5-2673 V3, however on my Asus X99 Deluxe I can't seem to get the efi driver to load in on boot each time. I had secureboot disabled and followed the guide to copy the driver into the EFI partition but it loaded in once and didnt do it upon reboot. Additionally when I try to boot into the usb with the files to re-apply it and all of my HDDs are plugged in it cannot detect where the USB drive is so the command to load the driver doesn't work either. It's only when I disconnect those drives bar the SSD. Obviously that's too much hassle to do each time, anyone got any suggestions for a workaround? I have one 128gbSSD, two HDDs in spanned (total 1.5TB 7200rpm) and a 2TB SSHD hybrid drive.

You tried to load it as a driver with bcfg driver add 0 fs1:\EFI\BOOT\V3.EFI “V3 Full Turbo”? just in case (were fs1 is your SSD drive number, it could be fs2, fs3, or like that)
What i did, for some reason i was unable to copy the file to my main OS drive, so i just left spare USB stick in there, and configured boot priority SSD to be my 1rst drive. For some reason bios always see USB flash as fs0, so it works. And if it works, don't touch it (c)