What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 62 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SpeedyVV

Dec 1, 2008
Since I was a bit lost trying to understand the language here, I decided to do a bit of googling and found this interesting Intel doc:
- Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Developer's Manual
Specifically chapter 9.11: MICROCODE UPDATE FACILITIES

Dufus

Sep 20, 2010
Both E3 and E5 should work for HSW. Don't know about E7 though, maybe someone has tried it.

@CANONKONG Would you please show an example of E5 v2 locked to max turbo using latest CPUZ benchmarks and then validate and provide link. Thanks.

n0taz

Feb 28, 2017
Hi!

Anybody know ehst i need will do with next situation:

Z10PE-D8, was e5-2696v3QS unlocked. Normal working.

When I put second e5-2696v3QS - i see it at BIOS, POST and Windows SAFE mode, but not in normal mode.

When i try boot normal - this stuck at loading, then i need do reset.

Now i use it so: load safe mode, then go to msconfig -> advanced -> use maximum cores (and i can setup only 36 maximum). But at taskmanager i see all 72 cores. And this option help me boot windows10 in normal mode, but only with 1 cpu.

I tryed change cpus in sockets, but same situattion. I dont want reinstall windows :) but this installation previously worked at lga1366 and x99taichi with snother cpu ))

Any ideas?

custom90gt

Feb 9, 2017
An update to my little C state problem. Put my 2683 V3 in the Asrock Taichi and C-states work great with the same server 2016 install. Stupid Gigabyte...

Now I'm going to break it down and put this new to me 2696 in it...

kjboughton

Dec 19, 2007
I have completed my complete re-write of the existing FASM source to C. The resulting code supports dual CPUs and with a few minor switch changes can be increased as needed. Build flags now provide for enable/disable of voltage controls, clock controls, CPUID checking, and include and option for more verbose output during system POST.

The following capabilities are added:
-- ability to set voltage offsets for each CPU individually
-- ability to set voltage offset for System Agent (for even further increased power savings)
-- ability to adjust all programmable domain voltage offsets in 1mV increments from 0 ~ 100mV and then every 10mV up to a maximum of 150mV (can be increased)
-- ability to program positive voltage offsets (experimental)
-- ability to build for other potential target platforms (X79/C602, etc.)
-- ability to leave system unlocked following boot to runtime (allows for modification with Throttlestop, for example)

Post requests and I will provide driver builds for testing...
What I need to know:
-- Enforce CPUID restriction to known target platform (Hawell-E/EP)?: Yes/No
-- Leave CPU unlocked during runtime (in OS)?: Yes/No
-- Lock Uncore to max performance?: Yes/No
-- CPU Vcore dynamic offset voltage in mV (per CPU)
-- CLR (CBo/LLC/Ring) dynamic offset voltage in mV (per CPU)
-- SA dynamic offset voltage in mV (per CPU)

There is no versioning as binaries will be provided on an as-requested basis.

-FCG

Dufus

Sep 20, 2010
An update to my little C state problem. Put my 2683 V3 in the Asrock Taichi and C-states work great with the same server 2016 install. Stupid Gigabyte...

Now I'm going to break it down and put this new to me 2696 in it...

Do you get package states also? If you change BIOS from P1.40 to P1.50 please make a note of your Tjmax before and after.

custom90gt

Feb 9, 2017
Do you get package states also? If you change BIOS from P1.40 to P1.50 please make a note of your Tjmax before and after.

While I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but my Package C state only goes up to C2 but I get C3 core states without issue.
I don't know if I'll go from 1.40 to 1.50 since there isn't a modded bios for it already, and I'm not sure I want to mess with it.

On a side note, my 2696 won't go over 3.4ghz even with 2 cores disabled. Was kind of hoping for 3.7ghz.

Dufus

Sep 20, 2010
Careful with power limiting on the Taichi, check that your not throttling.

Yes, PC2 works but I don't get PC6. AFAIK PC3 isn't an option for E5-v3's. Lowest power from the VRM shows about 18W for the CPU when idle, I don't remember what the non modified BIOS was but do remember seeing 65W from the wall vs 75W with the mod.

Reactions: custom90gt

custom90gt

Feb 9, 2017
Careful with power limiting on the Taichi, check that your not throttling.

Yes, PC2 works but I don't get PC6. AFAIK PC3 isn't an option for E5-v3's. Lowest power from the VRM shows about 18W for the CPU when idle, I don't remember what the non modified BIOS was but do remember seeing 65W from the wall vs 75W with the mod.

Yeah I'm not sure which part would be power limiting. Temps under a H115i have been great, I haven't seen anything even near 60C so far.
I did have C6 enabled and it boots fine, but I did have one lockup that may be attributed to that so I turned it off to see what happens (it was using C6 as well). Idle wattage on this 2696 according to throttle stop is around 35W, this is better than with the Gigabyte board and my 2683 which was 70W due to the C-states not working.

n0taz

Feb 28, 2017
Hi!

Anybody know ehst i need will do with next situation:

Z10PE-D8, was e5-2696v3QS unlocked. Normal working.
When I put second e5-2696v3QS - i see it at BIOS, POST and Windows SAFE mode, but not in normal mode. When i try boot normal - this stuck at loading, then i need do reset.
Now i use it so: load safe mode, then go to msconfig -> advanced -> use maximum cores (and i can setup only 36 maximum). But at taskmanager i see all 72 cores. And this option help me boot windows10 in normal mode, but only with 1 cpu.
I tryed change cpus in sockets, but same situattion. I dont want reinstall windows :) but this installation previously worked at lga1366 and x99taichi with snother cpu ))
Any ideas?
Now i find time and reinstall Win10. Now work 2 CPU stable in normal mode at stock. But when I flashing bios without microcode + load v3x2_70_50 - windows dont boot. It's freeze while loading at logo screen with loading-circle.

kjboughton

Dec 19, 2007
v3x4 source code and compiled DXE driver module

Written from the ground-up in C to compile to a x64 EFI DXE driver for Boot Services access to the MSRs and other registers that need to be read/programmed for this hack to work.
There are a number of build options with full explanations in the source. This code will work for up to 4 CPUs, verified working on my dual Xeon system.
You can now modify the SA (System Agent) voltage and run a more fine control in your voltage tuning. This is also a great code base for running other experimental MSR access routines to the OC Mailbox (MSR 0x150)... exciting to think what may come out of this now that Intel has graciously given us access to the pre-runtime environment with Ring0 privileges in UEFI.

As I do not have a single-Xeon system on which to test there is a small non-zero chance this code may not function as intended on a single-CPU build although I doubt it.

Shameless stolen/modified from @Welsper's earlier post...

In Windows, TO COMPILE, you will need:
1) UDK2015: http://www.tianocore.org/udk/udk2015/
2) Any C-compiler that is supported by UDK2015. I've used VisualStudio2015.
3) In file [UDK2015]\BaseTools\Conf\target.txt change next parameters to:
ACTIVE_PLATFORM = MdeModulePkg/MdeModulePkg.dsc
TARGET = RELEASE
TARGET_ARCH = X64
TOOL_CHAIN_TAG = VS2015x86
(or VS2013x86)
4) open console, go to folder [UDK2015]\BaseTools
5) execute edksetup.bat
6) execute build
If it prints - Done - all is fine and UDK2015 works.

then
7) unpack my source into [UDK2015]\BaseTools\MdeModulePkg\v3x4
8) In file [UDK2015]\BaseTools\MdeModulePkg\MdeModulePkg.dsc into section [Components] add string MdeModulePkg/v3x4/v3x4.inf
9) execute build in console again
10) wait for - Done - and take compiled efi driver from
[UDK2015]\BaseTools\Build\MdeModule\RELEASE_VS2013x86\X64\MdeModulePkg\v3x4\v3x4\OUTPUT\v3x4.efi

Last edited:

n0taz

Feb 28, 2017
Now i find time and reinstall Win10. Now work 2 CPU stable in normal mode at stock. But when I flashing bios without microcode + load v3x2_70_50 - windows dont boot. It's freeze while loading at logo screen with loading-circle.
Oh, finally i did it. Simply need to disable c3/c6 states and windows booted. I found same bug on supermicro mobo also.

-70 mV vcore and -50 mV cache are too much for your CPUs.

More EFIs: https://peine-braun.net/public_files/XEON_V3_BIOS_MODS/EFI-Drivers/dual CPU/
Working good, seems stable.

This cpu already worked (in solo configuration) with same offsets

glitchman

Sep 23, 2017
Oh, finally i did it. Simply need to disable c3/c6 states and windows booted. I found same bug on supermicro mobo also.
It's not a bug at all. You rised up minimal vcore value for your CPUs, because you disabled C3/C6 states.

teraflops

Oct 1, 2017
Guys! I'm new on board and feel pretty intimidated! I keep reading this whole thread but I'm not sure where to start.
I'm the owner of a 2696 v3 and an Asus x99A board. I understand there have been improvements to the procedure since the starting of the thread.

Could someone point me in direction which step by step tutorial is the most advanced one? I see this recent post of kjboughton, but honestly I don't even get if it's the whole procedure or just a part of it...
I have also seen Canonkong's BIOS mods and step by step tutorial, but I don't really get that he explains the procedure of modifing BIOS, but he also gives already modified BIOSes. So do I need to go through the procedure or I can just use the ones he gave us?
Sorry for being such a noob! I really appreciate what's being done here. This will go down in hardware history!

glitchman

Sep 23, 2017
I have also seen Canonkong's BIOS mods
You can just flash Canonkong's BIOS with removed microcodes and probably (because ASUS mobo) set max TurboBoost and Uncore values right in the your UEFI settings.

Then optionally you can rename C:\Windows\System32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll to maximize multithreading turboboost ratios.

Last edited: