What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

Page 85 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KW8cSgF53G

Oct 4, 2017
Guys, I know it is a little off-topic here. But I am going to buy a dual-cpu motherboard. What's the probability that these two CPUs will not work together?

Yes! I am now using X10DAL-I which utilized two different Steppings cpu,
but other parameters(eg. max turbo core and uncore ratio) are the same: QGN5 and SR1XH!
They are working perfectly, and saved me TREMENDOUS cost at THIS time!!

(I believe that C0/C1(read from HWiNFO) are the same parameters(specification), but the first one is QS2
(could identify correct CPU name(E5-2683 v3), not like ES1/2 and QS1(Genuine Intel displayed in CPU-Z)),
and the second one is Retail version...)

(sorry for my bad english.
thanks for correct.)

Last edited:
Reactions: sciff

sciff

Mar 6, 2017
Yes! I am now using X10DAL-I which utilized two different Steppings cpu,
but other parameters(eg. max turbo core and uncore ratio) are the same: QGN5 and SR1XH!
They are working perfectly, and saved me TREMENDOUS cost at THIS time!!

(sorry for my bad english.)
They are the same stepping (2) actually... But thanks! Don't apologize for your English, it's good enough to understand ;)

kjboughton

Dec 19, 2007
Intel says you can run different steppings together as long as the steppings are no more than one stepping apart.

Reactions: sciff

mtgben

Nov 21, 2017
Intel says you can run different steppings together as long as the steppings are no more than one stepping apart.
hi kjboughton...
please help to unlock 2696 v4...
for crismas !!! please

possible you give me another efi effort with max uncore ratio example x30 for test please kjboughton
i want test again !! please

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
Does anyone have the combination of Asrock X99E itx ac and E5 2683 V3?
Did the processor go on this board?

Last edited:

Cata40

Mar 2, 2017
I have very big problems with that board and 2683v3. The processor goes on Asus x99 deluxe 2, Asrock x99 OCF but does not want to boot on X99 itx ac!
I changed 3 boards to ASrock and for nothing! I really do not know what to do
All the components on it go to other x99 motherboards, there is no question of incompatibility!

umran

Dec 1, 2017
Good day, everyone.

Just made this trick to x99 taichi + e5-v2683 and have some trouble with hyper-v.
All cores work at 3.0 when needed at host os.
But guest os says that speed is 2.0ghz. I used x39 microcode but when i rename "mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll", system can start only in Safe mode.
So i left this file unchanged.

How to get turbo boost works at guest vm-s?
I have some 2012r2 and win10.
Gyes, does anoyone use virtualization with turboboost hack ?

umran

Dec 1, 2017
nope... maybe I will try it a bit later this weekend... it's stange that you have this bugs... I don't see any global reasons for them
Cool! When you get some results, please, post here :)
Here was one guy:
You lucky man, my host system not boot when hyper-v installed (only in safe mode). VMware player not work proper also with modded UEFI. If I flash original UEFI all work ok
i had similar problem, so i get back the file mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll. Than i get my hyper-v to work.

umran

Dec 1, 2017
So i finally beat this.. Just had to set 'Maximum Performance' in 'Power' settings of the host. After that every core works every time in tuboo boost (at 3.0) and never get it lower.
Benchmark in VMs shows as well as at the host.
Checked temperatures - without any load (0-1% of cpu) i have 52-55c. At small stress test (1minute) i got stable 60-62с.
Is it okay for my setup?
I have asrock taichi x99 + e5-2683v3 with water cooling system.

umran

Dec 1, 2017
If i do this, virtual machines shows only half of maximum performance in cpu-z.
Thats my main problem.

kjboughton

Dec 19, 2007
So i finally beat this.. Just had to set 'Maximum Performance' in 'Power' settings of the host. After that every core works every time in tuboo boost (at 3.0) and never get it lower.
Benchmark in VMs shows as well as at the host.
Checked temperatures - without any load (0-1% of cpu) i have 52-55c. At small stress test (1minute) i got stable 60-62с.
Is it okay for my setup?
I have asrock taichi x99 + e5-2683v3 with water cooling system.

Longer-term SS temps could be a whole 10C or more higher. That being said, you should be sitting fine. Watercooling is key for these chips given the higher sustainable TDPs.

umran

Dec 1, 2017
I did clean install of 2016, made everything but not moved file mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll and only after that installed hyper-v.

After all tests i got all cores to 3.0 instead of 2.5.
But the main problem - if i put my 2016 into 'performance mode' (power options) i get 47-50c without any load and 3.0 at all cores.
If i just switch my bios to stock, i get 2.5 at all cores at 'performance mode' (power options) and just 34-35c without load.

So, i made this shit work, but after all disabled it due to high temperature.

Gellért

May 29, 2017
Guys, I've got two Intel Xeon E5-2696v3 CPUs. I'm planning to buy a dual socket motherboard for these babies and I will unlock them like I have unlocked the one currently installed into my ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1 motherboard. I need a powerful workstation that will allow me to render fast in 3ds Max with Corona Renderer.

I need a motherboard with a sufficient distance between two sockets as I'm using Noctua NH-D15 coolers.
There are only two motherboards that satisfy this conditon: ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS and ASRock Rack EP2C612 WS

I want to be sure that there will be enough stability and that the motherboard, whichever I choose, will provide sufficient power for two unlocked E5-2696v3 and will not overheat.

I know there are owners of both motherboards in this thread. Which one should I choose?

Would you recommend ASRock Rack EP2C612 WS instead of ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS which is NOT without its own problems?

To the owners of ASRock Rack EP2C612 WS and 2 x 2696v3:
1. Does this motherboard have a sensor showing the actual power drawn by either CPU? For example, X99-based ASUS motherboards have it, it's listed in HWiNFO as CPU Power and does show actual wattage — I checked that with an external socket power meter.
2. What are VRM temperatures under full load? Should I be worried that the VRMs will overheat during many hours long rendering? The heatsinks on ASRock Rack board's VRMs seem kind of floppy and they don't even have backplates like ASUS's do. Are the VRMs on the other side of the board very hot under full load?
3. Are there any problems with using less than four RAM channels per CPU? I only have four sticks of 16GB ECC RDIMM so each CPU will be working in Dual-Channel mode.

I am only considering ASRock Rack EP2C612 WS because I've been told by several owners of ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS and 2 x 2696v3 that this motherboard is not without its problems. I was hoping that ASRock Rack board doesn't have those and is a better (and cheaper!) alternative.

ASRock Rack EP2C612 WS has better technical support, that's for sure. But apart from that, are there other advantages I should know about?

Have you found any answers? I'm in the same shoes.
What are the problems with the Asus board you mentioned?
I have better experience with Asus boards than ASRock ones in general. But this is an other scenario.

sciff

Mar 6, 2017
Have you found any answers? I'm in the same shoes.
What are the problems with the Asus board you mentioned?
I have better experience with Asus boards than ASRock ones in general. But this is an other scenario.
I have decided to buy ASUS board and already ordered it from Computeruniverse.
The problems that I've heard of, involved older revision's compatibility issues with v4 ES chips (stepping 0). But since I own two v3 final stepping chips and the motherboard will probably be 1.04 which is the newest revision, there's no need to worry.

Another problem that concerned me was stability issues when BCLK is not 100 MHz. But it turned out that a friend who had this problem solved it simply by connecting EATX12V3 which he simply didn't notice at first :)

traderjay

Sep 24, 2015
traderjay,

Here are the modded BIOS file to unlock the turbo. I tested it on my X10SRL-f motherboard last night and it worked fine.

mod_X10SRL-f.zip

I included EFI files also. So you should load one of them before getting into OS.

Before and After

Cinebench R15 score: Before: 1500, After: 1725.
CPU-Z (v1.79) multi-score: Before: 3934, After 4552.

Again, I am currently using E5-2658 v3 QS chip on this motherboard so there is no different on single core performance, but multi-threads performance is improved from 2.5Ghz all cores to 2.9 all cores after mod.

And, here is my BIOS settings. You may tweak them if it is needed.

CPU Configuration
---------------------------
Hyper-Threading (ALL) - [Enable]
Cores Enabled - [0]

CPU Configuration -> Advanced
---------------------------
Power Technology - [Custom]
Energy Performance Tuning - [Disable]
Energy Performance BIAS setting - [Performance]
Energy Efficient Turbo - [Disable]

Advanced -> CPU P State Control
--------------------------------
EIST (P-States) - [Enable]
Turbo Mode - [Enable]
P-State Coordination - [HW_ALL]

Advanced -> CPU C State Control
--------------------------------
Package C State Limit - [C0/C1 state]
CPU C3 Report - [Disable]
CPU C6 Report - [Enable]
Enhanced Halt State (C1E) - [Disable]

CPU T State Control
-------------------
ACPI T-States - [Enable]

Last, Windows OS Power Options - High Performance

Let me know if you need anything.

Hey Guys - I am a bit lost on how to mod my bios to unlock the turbo on my E5 2696V3. Can one of you kindly show me step-by-step? This is what James said but I am so lost lol:

Regarding of loading EFI file before OS, you first need to have a flash drive and format it as FAT32. Then copy all files within the folder that I uploaded (Make sure to have startup.nsh file (you can edit it using notepad) and EFI folder to be at the root of the drive).

And, you will need to change boot options to UEFI or dual. I have my OS installed with UEFI so I changed my boot order to be UEFI: flash drive to be 1st and then UEFI: Windows boot manager to be the 2nd. This way, EFI loaded and then go to Windows boot on every boot.

If you want to load it manually, you may Press F11 (boot menu) at the boot time. And, select UEFI: [your flash drive]. By default, it will try to execute the startup.nsh script automatically, if you want to stop it, just press ESC when you have option and then you can execute your own commands.

Fujittsu

Dec 23, 2017
Any way to do it works with an ASRock X99 Professional Gaming i7 and a 306F1 8x13?
I've only had codes 79.
Untitled.jpg

mrpiggy

Apr 19, 2012
Swapped the E5-2690V3 with a E5-2699V3, same ASRock Extreme 6 motherboard, same microcode/BIOS hack, same everything except processor. Max Turbo on the 12-core 2690V3 was x35. The 2699V3 18-core does x36 Max turbo, but will only do it on 12 of the cores at once. The other 4 bounce between x12 and x32. Under something like Cinebench, all the cores drop to x32 (although a couple might bounce up to x33 occasionally for a very short time). Under Prime95 small FFTs, all the cores drop to x24 (and a couple bouncing x25). Even under this load my Megahalems air cooler (on silent fan mode) keeps the CPU around 60-ish degC.

This new 2699V3 CPU is less sensitive with bus speed than the E5-2690V3 was. I could only do a 103 max bus speed previously as any more would be unstable. I can do 105 bus speed now without any apparent instabilities (knock on wood!). So at max turbo x36, I'm actually running 12 cores at 3778Mhz at any given time. I do normally use the balanced power option and let the CPU's drop way down though as I don't actually do much of anything that requires all them processors! :)

Again hats off too all who made this possible!

Reactions: Burpo

chris_osw

Apr 5, 2017
Hello Guys.
I have dual cpu motherboard Supermicro X10DRi (C612) - best termal solution is SilentiumPC Fera 3 v2 because coolers are cheap,cooling perfomance is great ,temps in linX less than 65stC.
2pcs SilentiumPC Fera 3 HE1224 v2 cost 200pln = 60 USD - does not fit ,but after mod working great.
PC Case CoolerMaster HAF XM
Mod:
Remove standard mounting bracket and use flat steel bracket
l= 120mm
w= 40mm
h= 2,0mm

https://www.silentiumpc.com/fera-3-he1224/

NARROW ILM coolers ,price in poland .
2pcs Noctua NH-u9dx-i4 560pln = 160USD
2pcs Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4 360pln= 103USD

I use mod bios from forum for SuperMicro X10DRi 05-05-2017 2.1b (file name X10DRi17.505 )
and 2x E5-4660v3 ES - working 28cores x 2,90Ghz

I had some problems with EFI driver load - Format USB stick as FAT not FAT32.
after disabling all speed step and C1E (energy savings) options in BIOS - system has been loaded ,before that stuck on windows logo.
Now i testing c_payne drivers ,temps are ok

uCode 39 (before mod was 3A)

v3x2_payne_50_50.efi - os load but all cores perfomance is poor ,testing
v3x2_payne_70_70.efi - os not load hung,

When all cores are used performance is worse than on stock clocks,weird ???
After set 54 threads in cpuz bench i have 10920pts = great but when cpuz use all threads 56th score is 6300pts,same things in software

I use quide from SuperMicro site for max Turbo :
How do I enable Turbo mode to get the maximum Turbo mode speed on my X10DRi motherboard?
Answer
Please make sure the following settings are correct:
1. Please make sure all cores are enabled: Advanced >> CPU Configuration >> Core enabled >> “0” to enable all cores.
2. Under the Bios setup go to: Advanced >> CPU Configuration >> Advanced Power Management and make sure the setting are as follows:
Power Technology >> Custom
Energy performance Tuning >> disable
Energy performance BIAS setting >> performance
Energy efficient turbo >> disable
3. Then go to Advanced >> CPU Configuration >> Advanced Power Management >> CPU P state control and make sure the settings are as follows
EIST (P-States) >> Enable
Turbo mode >> enable
P-state coordination >> HW_ALL
4. Then Advanced >> CPU Configuration >> Advanced Power Management >> CPU C state control and make sure the setting are as follows.
Package C-state limit >> C0/C1 state
CPU C3 Report >>disable
CPU C6 report >> disable
Enhanced Halt state >> disable

cpupoorsroi1.png

20170920_201214emrvx.jpg

20170829_161220q3pxn.jpg

Last edited: