What are you playing now? [Chat + Discussions]

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I've been thinking about getting a PS4 Pro to play sports games, but I can't pull he trigger for some reason.

If that’s all you play yeah it’s a big expense for the hardware to get started. Maybe EA Access would appeal to you where on Xbox one you can subscribe to their service and have access to their catalog of sports games, get discounts on the new releases, and have full game trials of the new game before it launches. You can transfer your save to the purchased game if you want too. They have a similar thing through origin for pc but they don’t have their sports titles.

Although the PS4 has MLB which is excellent. Xbox doesn’t have any baseball.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Just beat South Park: The Stick Of Truth

-God I was just waiting for this game to end. South Park works in 30 minute bursts of vulgar absurdity/commentary, but by the time this game came to an end I was burned out on every little "in" joke in the South Park universe being stretched out (as Mr. Slave might say "Jesus Christ!") beyond whatever threshold I thought I had.

However, the game did make me really laugh at times and like a South Park episode was a commentary on the state of the gaming industry around the time the game initially launched; the core quests moved fast and the requisite South Park animation style of the game freed up a lot of developer budget to go wild with different environments, enemy types, art styles, the whole works.

The quick time combat mechanic really wore me down, so I was really only using one or two party members and two of my five abilities the whole game. The "tips" on what you're supposed to do to trigger certain abilities could be very ambiguous. I didn't even touch magic outside of the required story progression points. Luckily the combat was so simple outside of the quicktime spamming that it really only served as an interruption in keeping the plot of the game moving.

I've moved on to playing Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (an older Source game made by the new Prey and Dishonored guys Arkane Studios), but am running into a bug after the prologue sequence where the game crashes to desktop with some sort of mm.exe error. So I'm putting that off to the side for the moment (although what I did play was very fun).

Decided to pick up and try my hand at the original Borderlands game. Game seems relatively light hearted with a fun art style and a sort of "diablo in first person" esque loot grind mechanic that lends itself to my hedonistic "watch Netflix while you play" gaming style. I figure this is the next game I'll play through.

Going through these older games has made me strongly consider sitting the upcoming steam sale out entirely. I have a lot of good stuff sitting in my library waiting to be played.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Terratech.
Latest update is quite stable and has loads of features. But I dont know when the finished product will arrive.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
This sucks I got nothing to play. I've been playing Fallout 4 a month ago got through half of it (i think) but got bored playing it so I stopped and i have about 160 mods installed.
I am gonna go try playing Counter Strike GO haven't played it since last year or more.

Really want to play new games from E3 2018 but have to wait till 2019 :eek:

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I've been playing Fallout: New Vegas for the past 3 weeks or so. I've put at least 135 hours in that time. I'd say it's safe to say that I've been enjoying it. I restarted a couple times, but I finally finished the main story last night. Amazing game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I've been playing Fallout: New Vegas for the past 3 weeks or so. I've put at least 135 hours in that time. I'd say it's safe to say that I've been enjoying it. I restarted a couple times, but I finally finished the main story last night. Amazing game.

melee is probably the easiest. No ammo, lotsa damage.
Did you know in VATS you do double damage with melee weapons?
Only in New Vegas, not in Fallout 3 or Fallout 4?

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
melee is probably the easiest. No ammo, lotsa damage.
Did you know in VATS you do double damage with melee weapons?
Only in New Vegas, not in Fallout 3 or Fallout 4?
I do recall reading about that in regard to New Vegas, but I wasn't aware that it was something exclusive to New Vegas. I don't believe I've ever made a melee build in any of the Fallouts, though I've really only played FO3 and NV. I suppose you'd probably have to roll with heavy armor if doing melee, since you're not really able to utilize cover as much, and would have to go toe-to-toe with things like deathclaws and the like.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If yur gonna do a melee build, it should include high stealth as well. You'll need the advantage for that first kill. Even better if you can get a couple of kills without being detected.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Finished BulletStorm:Full Clip Edition twice.

Fun game, but way too short. I finshed in a little over 7 hours. Little replay value. Not worth the $40, but deffinitely worth the $10 on Steam.

Next game might be Brutal Legend. For $2 why not. I'm also playing UTK3 and AoE 3 on the side.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Going back and forth between Trails of Cold Steel and Darkest Dungeon. ToCS is one of the deepest storyline JRPG's I think I've ever played, more so than even the Xenosaga series. I am 80 hours in (no grinding) and they are still introducing new characters.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i'm on battletech and lotro right now. 10 years into lotro now

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I just recently played and finished Shantae: Half Genie Hero, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.

I think Pirate's Curse was probably the best of the 3 in terms of gameplay, followed by Half Genie Hero. Risky's Revenge seemed kind of clunky to me.

These are 2d platformer games with some light metroidvania features. I enjoyed the characters and story in all 3 games.

Also been playing Doorkickers: Action Squad with a friend. This is a fun little co-op game.

I also purchased:
Ori and the Blind Forest (played a little, seems interesting)
Guacamelee (haven't played yet)
A Hat in Time (humble monthly - only played a little. Seems like it could be fun now that I got the camera sorted).
Conan Exiles (humble monthly - not played yet)
Dead Cells (played a bit, but kind of gets old. hard game).

I had been playing Rust on a PVE server that enables PVP 3 days before each wipe. It was fun for awhile but got old fast. The toxicity and difficulty on a vanilla server is not for me (at least not for me being solo anyway).

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Just about done with Far Cry 5... overall decent experience.

EDIT: Finished it with the "good" ending; I can see why players were unhappy... LOL

I actually thought the ending where everything gets nuked was quite fitting. I mean, the whole time the radio broadcasters talk about the brink of a nuclear holocaust so while you're running around killing cultists and catching salmon, our enemies are prepping their nuclear arsenal. A scary and outlandish proposition of course, but not totally unrealistic.

The irony being you've destroyed all of the bunkers that could have been used to shelter the good people of Montana from radioactive fallout and debris.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Just finished playing Shadow of Mordor.

Gawd dayum this was a great game. It builds on the solid combat mechanics of the Batman Arkham Asylum games and sprinkles some strategy on top with the Nemesis system and the Orc style politics. Solid open world gameplay with the standard mix of story missions (that are thankfully written vaguely enough that the game's story does not encounter the same pitfall so many open games do where all sense of urgency is lost) as well as collectibles and challenges that were actually fun to find and complete.

The nemesis system was an absolute blast, really getting me to hate some of the named captains who's strengths and weaknesses directly contradicted my play style. Later in the game your character learns the ability dominate the minds of orcs and you get to partake in the various rivalries, assassination attempts, hunts etc that the captains take on when they're not fighting you to boost your guys up the ranks in Sauron's army. Have one of your "sleeper" orcs infiltrate the bodyguard of a war chief, then have them turn on him in the heat of combat, so now your Orc is a war chief. That one captain that was really pissing you off and won't stay dead? Defeat and "brand" him and now he's their problem, not yours.

Its incredible.

WB really knows how to manage their properties (with the Batman games as well as Shadow of Mordor for LOTR). Both games do a fantastic job building their world, providing a challenge, but ultimately letting the player walk away with a solid but understated feeling their the PC is the real BAMF in that universe.

Not sure what I'm going to play next, but after the High Fantasy third person combat I'm thinking I might take a refresher with one of the new Shadowrun games or a sci-fi FPS to keep things fresh.

Reactions: OCNewbie

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
SkyrimSe w/ 230 mods.

I've gotten the game to be very stable. Seriously though. I could play this game for a year. It's so expansive. So much to do, but it is a bit repetitive.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Here is a (crappy) video of my latest obsession Sailplane simulator flying with X plane 11. No audio which sucks. I need a better GPU, already upgraded PC a fair amount with help from you all here.

I'm flying in a wave @ cumberland md a famous glider flying area. Winched launched to 1k feet and thermald up to 7K and flew some aerobatics. Wernher Von Braun flew some sailplane altitude record there after he retired from NASA.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I am playing the following games:

1)The Surge (Extremely, unreasonably, stupidly, devilishly hard and frustrating.)

2)Monster Hunter World

3)Far Cry 3 (don't understand how some people are already up to Far Cry 5, when the third one already has so much content just by itself. I know some just rush through the main story line but there are so many side quests and skills to unlock!)

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
For Honor/League of Legends (tied for most time played)
Quake Champions
Overwatch

Started up Kingdoms of Amalur the other day, not sure I'll stick with it though. So many games, so little time :D

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I installed Mu Legends this weekend as I was craving a new ARPG and already own all the big hitters (Grim Dawn, D3, Torchlight, Titan's Quest and PoE). It's pretty good for a F2P game but in typical Korean fashion I fully expect to hit a wall when I get higher to levels but so far I'm doing quite all right without paying and I've no intention of doing so either.

Anyone else have experience with this one?

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I'm playing WoW Battle For Azeroth right now. I'm completely new to WoW, but my brother said he'd pay for the sub to get me to start playing. I'm trying out the starter edition and it's ok I guess. I'm so new to the game that there aren't a whole lot of people to do stuff with, and I'm not 100% I have the time to sink into an MMO so we'll see if I decide to buy it. The quests are kinda meh though. A lot of errands, back and forth, gathering crap for npcs. I guess your typical MMO. I don't like that I can't fast travel from 1 place to another though. At least I haven't figured it out yet.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Started up Kingdoms of Amalur the other day, not sure I'll stick with it though. So many games, so little time :D

I've been playing KoA for about a year now, on and off. I can play about two hours of the game before I get bored and move on to something else. Even so I think I have somewhere around 100 hours in the game and am only half way through the story. Most of that time was doing side quests and exploring looking for those hidden story stone things that give you permanent boosts.

One of the problems with the game is that if you do all the side quests you get seriously overpowered.

Minor spoilers concerning late game abilities, no story information
As a Mage I can pretty much AOE one shot everything in sight with my most powerful spell. Even bosses rarely survive two casts. So unless I just feel like goofing around every fight works the same, I just run around until everything is near me then cast meteor and everything dies, and I can cast meteor like 4 times in a row without running out of mana (and then I have tons of mana potions). I don't think I've ever had anything survive 3 casts, and you are nearly invincible during the casting animation.

Despite this complaint I still think it is a good game, well worth playing. The game should not have been the critical failure that it was.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Just finished a playthrough of Mirrors Edge.

I like what DICE was trying to do with this game, and in many ways it reminded me of Portal: a big-time developer making an indie-esq game that that has a core hook of reworking how a player navigates a first person futuristic dystopica rendered in a striking but minimalist style (with little to no actual combat).

It was a quick run, with probably a total of 6-7 hours of total play time in the story, and more like 5 hours if it wasn't for the constant, repetitive, dying because your character failed to recognize a ledge or pipe or some other object as something they could grapple or vault to.

The focus on parkour was really fresh, but the level design/perspective often forces you out of the "flow" when your path forward or where you should go becomes unclear. Many of my deaths were the result of just trusting the level designers to channel me to a leap of faith, only to realize where they actually wanted me to go was not obvious at all.

The story was completely forgetable, with truly some of the worst animated cinematics I have ever seen. They can be done extremely well, I have no personal bias against them, but DICE would been much better served just rendering the cinematics in engine and I'm confused why they didn't.

Despite all my criticism against the game, I did find enough to like to play it to the end (I did go in with knowledge that the campaign was not very long, so that may have added some motivation).

After this, I really feel like I need to be a heavily armed and armored, compensating for something level badass. I'm thinking my 980Ti is ripe enough to handle some Crysis or Crysis Warhead, so I'll give that a shot next.