What are you making for Thanksgiving Dinner?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I'll be hosting for the first time cooking Thanksgiving dishes, but I'm no stranger to cooking for 12~ people in the past. I'm going to keep it simple this year, then make it more homemade next year.
  • Turkey (A simple Youtube recipe with great reviews)
  • Supermarket breadcrumbs + chopped veggies + chicken broth & bake = Stuffing
  • Supermarket gravy + grease from turkey
  • My XVOO mashed potatoes (delicious)
  • Peas
  • Corn
  • Canned Cranberry sauce
  • Supermarket pie or two
  • Dinner rolls

If I'm up for it, I may cook one of those green bean casserole thingy. What else are easy upgrades or anything fun for apps or snacks prior? (Or dessert)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Sauerkraut is popular in MD, and shouldn't be too foreign for a Korean audience.

Reactions: Zeze

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Costco Pumpkin Pie > all other supermarket pies

Add pork breakfast sausage to your stuffing + canned mushrooms +lots of butter

Reactions: BarkingGhostar

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Not sure what I want to cook. Going to skip turkey. I might smoke a brisket. Or just reheat Costco rotisserie chicken in the pellet smoker if I'm feeling lazy.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I got a "free" turkey courtesy of my local Stop & Shop however it was one of those "flavor-injected" birds full of salt, chemicals and fake butter so I donated it.

Going shopping tomorrow.... having deep-fried Turkey on Thursday at a friends so will make something other than Turkey for myself on Friday.

I'm thinking ribs but will have to wait till I see what's actually in stock!

:confused:

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Thanksgiving was in October.

:p

A5C8C72D-D792-4BF3-B2CF-2BBEC13C1DE0_1538358408.jpg

*(belatedly)

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Pumpkin pie is easy to make and easy to beat store bought even with a premade crust (graham cracker >>> regular)

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Pft that is basically like pre-season games. Some noobs who don't know what they are doing get to screw around and pretend what they do matters but no one else notices or cares

;)
if you celebrate Canadian thanksgiving then you get 2 thanksgiving meals instead of 1.

Who could argue with that?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Probably roast a turkey breast and drumsticks. (Just two of us this year) dressing, mashed taters and gravy, roasted sweet potatoes (for her, I dislike the things)green bean casserole, a couple of pies...and cranberry nut bread.

Reactions: FreshCrabLegs

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I'm making my way to the dinner table and eating whatever is there.
Same here, dinner's over at my brother's house this year. My wife is making her mom's cranberry sauce. That's it for 'us' ;).

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Thanksgiving is my time to shine -- fucking love it:

20lb turkey, broken down and cooked on a wire rack lined baking sheet
  • Dry brine for 24hr, 425 for 20min, 350 for ~2.5hrs (basting everything 30 min with a glaze)
Truffled mash
Greenbean casserole
Sweet potato puree
Sourdough stuffing
Shredded Brussel sprouts

It will be pretty traditional, as far as flavors go. What I'd REALLY want, but what the in-laws won't eat, is to go Asian with everything. Orange peel/soy/black vinegar glaze turkey, kimchi mash, sprouts with soy/oyster sauce/fish sauce/black vinegar glaze, something interesting with green beans and sweet pots. NOM.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Doing a ham and turkey. Wife is making mashed potatoes and I think my sister in law is bringing green bean casserole and rolls. Someone else is bringing desert. We're doing it on Sunday due to family schedules. I'm going to try spatchcocking the bird and cooking in the oven. I'll also try brining it for the first time. Never done brine before.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I was thinking of getting tofukey but I'm pretty sure that still sucks. Making fake meat seems to be one of those alchemical dark arts though. You're much more likely to get iron pyrite (fools gold) rather any "color" of any kind.

For Beyond Meat, the key ingredient is heme (pronounced heem not hem-ee apparently). It's plant heme but the taste and texture is so much like ground beef (from what I can recall anyway) that can't bring myself to eating it even with the certain knowledge that it's vegan.

So like with most holidays, I probably won't do anything special. I used to grab a few other folks and hit the local Hyatt for their t-day buffet. I don't really like going places by myself though, so unless I have a surge of energy come thursday, I probably won't do that either.

Feb 4, 2009
I was thinking of getting tofukey but I'm pretty sure that still sucks. Making fake meat seems to be one of those alchemical dark arts though. You're much more likely to get iron pyrite (fools gold) rather any "color" of any kind.

For Beyond Meat, the key ingredient is heme (pronounced heem not hem-ee apparently). It's plant heme but the taste and texture is so much like ground beef (from what I can recall anyway) that can't bring myself to eating it even with the certain knowledge that it's vegan.

So like with most holidays, I probably won't do anything special. I used to grab a few other folks and hit the local Hyatt for their t-day buffet. I don't really like going places by myself though, so unless I have a surge of energy come thursday, I probably won't do that either.

Gardein Turkey cutlets, even come with a small packet of decent no meat gravy.

• Love
Reactions: Charmonium

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I will be cooking turkey after all. I spoke with my sister today to see if she wanted to get together and she and the kids want turkey. So I will smoke small turkey and large beef brisket.

Reactions: Zeze

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
FieldRoast products are pretty good for vegetarian. I like Tofurkey also, but you need to adjust expectations. Nothing is gonna taste exactly like turkey, but that's a good thing. Turkey's pretty meh, and replacing it with something else kinda meh is just a sidegrade.

Reactions: Charmonium

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
FieldRoast products are pretty good for vegetarian.
All excellent points. I haven't liked the couple FieldRoast products I've tried, but I seem to be moving away from needing or wanting TVP (texturized veg protein), regardless of how good they.

One of my diabetes meds really destroys my appetite anyway and that's something I'm very grateful for. If I don't smoke or otherwise ingest weed, I have to really like what I eat. Otherwise, the day rolls by and don't notice anything until my serenading stomach finds its voice.

So far there isn't much that's in that category. Several months ago I discovered Noka pouches - which I really love. There's even one version of the cherry/acai pouch that has a few extra grams of pre-biotic fiber.