What are you making for Thanksgiving Dinner?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Meatloaf of 50/50 ground beef and ground spicy sausage with scallions, carrots, fresh herbs, ketchup, and Worcestershire
1637865974578.png
Hashweh, a Middle Eastern dish that literally translates to "stuffing." Rice, ground lamb, ghee, olive oil, warming spices of nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon, topped with toasted pine nuts and slivered almonds.
1637865988258.png
Green bean casserole, buffed up with mushrooms, sour cream, fresh herbs, and lemon zest.
1637866008056.png
Mashed potatoes cooked in whole milk--no water. Then mashed with butter and fresh dill (keep the reserved starchy milk as an awesome base for any homemade creamy soup)
1637866027217.png
Pumpkin pie with homemade lard crust, sprinkled with grated ginger, brown sugar, sea salt, and cayenne
1637866044356.png

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Turkey breast deboned and sous vided, whipped potatoes with gravy, green beans with bacon, stuffing, crescent rolls, cranberry sauce, white zin. Husband is diabetic so most desserts are out but I make a low carb pumpkin pie with chopped pecan praline crust and whipped cream that ain't half bad.

Reactions: Geekbabe

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Meatloaf of 50/50 ground beef and ground spicy sausage with scallions, carrots, fresh herbs, ketchup, and Worcestershire
View attachment 53364
Hashweh, a Middle Eastern dish that literally translates to "stuffing." Rice, ground lamb, ghee, olive oil, warming spices of nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon, topped with toasted pine nuts and slivered almonds.
View attachment 53365
Green bean casserole, buffed up with mushrooms, sour cream, fresh herbs, and lemon zest.
View attachment 53366
Mashed potatoes cooked in whole milk--no water. Then mashed with butter and fresh dill (keep the reserved starchy milk as an awesome base for any homemade creamy soup)
View attachment 53367
Pumpkin pie with homemade lard crust, sprinkled with grated ginger, brown sugar, sea salt, and cayenne
View attachment 53368
Do you mind sharing some recipes? WOW. You got a great knack for presentation + photography too.

The pie and meatloaf looks so good.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Probably roast a turkey breast and drumsticks. (Just two of us this year) dressing, mashed taters and gravy, roasted sweet potatoes (for her, I dislike the things)green bean casserole, a couple of pies...and cranberry nut bread.

We said fuck it...too much work for just us. We declined several invites from friends and decided not to cook here and invite friends over this year. Instead, we went to the local Eagles Aerie. They provided turkey, ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, dressing, and some other things...then members all brought some kind of side, salad, or dessert. It was OK.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Do you mind sharing some recipes? WOW. You got a great knack for presentation + photography too.

The pie and meatloaf looks so good.
Thanks! The pictures and recipes are all my GF. I'm more of the 'you point, I punch' type. I'm pretty good at following instructions though so I can competently follow someone else's recipe.

Meatloaf:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/235250/classic-spicy-meatloaf/

Tips on mashed taters, we also add mayo at the end.
https://www.myrecipes.com/convenien...liant-secret-to-making-better-mashed-potatoes

Never had hashweh but this shit was incredible.
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1022749-hashweh-spiced-rice-and-meat-with-yogurt

Better than canned shit.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/94570/absolutely-delicious-green-bean-casserole-from-scratch/

Pie crust because I'm a millennial and I've never made my own.
https://pinchandswirl.com/lard-pie-crust/

The topping is the key. Completely transforms the flavor.
http://www.comfortcookadventures.com/2021/01/martha-tinsdales-pumpkin-pie.html?m=1

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Butternut squash soup
garden salad
grilled turkey breast(butter and Roasted garlic and herb seasoning under the skin)
garlic mashed potatoes
baked acorn squash
caramelized carrots
stuffing
dinner rolls
cranberry sauce
sautéed mushrooms

Rhubarb custard Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Just checking in to see last years menu.

Dropping thew acorn squash,
adding baked beets and also brussel sprouts.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm not going anywhere Thurs or Fri BUT I'm roasting myself a huge-a$$ rack of St Louis pork ribs for dinner on Thanksgiving day.

I'll be having turkey with my daughter on Saturday.... I'm only bringing a couple side-dishes this year so minimal work.

Last edited:
Reactions: iRONic

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Saw on TV last night, required is sweet potatoes, mac and cheese, which I can make with stuff I have. I have 75% of a rotisserie chicken in the fridge, that will be my turkey. TBH, I think I prefer chicken, but there's not much difference.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Pie crust because I'm a millennial and I've never made my own.
https://pinchandswirl.com/lard-pie-crust/
I've made a lot of pie crusts. In "recent" years (rarely) I work shortening into the flour using a blender. Then into a SS bowl, dribble ice water a few drops at a time and work with a fork until it starts to hold together, then rollout on a floured board then into a pie pan and make adjustments to get it in shape. It's not perfect looking but it works out.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Saw on TV last night, required is sweet potatoes, mac and cheese. I have 75% of a rotisserie chicken in the fridge, that will be my turkey. TBH, I think I prefer chicken, but there's not much difference.

I also prefer chicken over turkey but they taste very different unless you're talking about processed deli-meat. (turkey/chicken loaf)

Even turkey chili/tacos or stuff like hot-dogs have that unmistakable "turkey" after-taste to me.

:confused_old:

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I've made a lot of pie crusts. In "recent" years (rarely) I work shortening into the flour using a blender. Then into a SS bowl, dribble ice water a few drops at a time and work with a fork until it starts to hold together, then rollout on a floured board then into a pie pan and make adjustments to get it in shape. It's not perfect looking but it works out.
Man, long time since I made that post. We've made a lot since then, doing the hashweh again this year as well!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'll probably have to see what's open, because we're flying out of town that day. Gotta figure there's some place open near the airport.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
My donation to the table this year is a roasted then braised kabucho squash, and also a beyond meat recipe I created for a food business.

The hosts are vegan but they always cook a turkey and make some other non-vegan dishes. But both of mine will be vegan

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
IMG-0002.jpg

• Love
Reactions: VirtualLarry

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I also prefer chicken over turkey but they taste very different unless you're talking about processed deli-meat. (turkey/chicken loaf)

Even turkey chili/tacos or stuff like hot-dogs have that unmistakable "turkey" after-taste to me.

:confused_old:
My go to with that Costco rotisserie chicken is slices in a toaster-oven-toasted pita pocket, with some mayo or 1000 island and some Coastal Cheddar. Plus my obligatory dynamite mixed vege salad.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
My go to with that Costco rotisserie chicken is slices in a toaster-oven-toasted pita pocket, with some mayo or 1000 island and some Coastal Cheddar. Plus my obligatory dynamite mixed vege salad.

Tomato and spicy mustard here lol... although I rarely get the superior Costco chicken anymore since I let my membership lapse.

I have to "rough it" with the local grocery. :)

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Tomato and spicy mustard here lol... although I rarely get the superior Costco chicken anymore since I let my membership lapse.

I have to "rough it" with the local grocery. :)
Hey, got tomato in the salad but I will add some grey poupon to my pita-pocketed chicken tonight!

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Like I said last year, turkey kinda sucks. I don't expect this to be any worse. I think I've had this before and liked it, but I can't remember.

IMG_20221122_155004672.jpg