What are you drinking tonight?

Page 136 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
Kirkland XO Cognac. Amazing for the price.

5hMZzmR.jpg

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Drinking crappy asda wine this afternoon.Cheap and nasty.Hits the spot i suppose.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
e743e808c73aceb3ca8908d458a9cffd.jpg

It's a pretty blah summer day. Raining and warm. I'm cool with the rain, but summer's been getting me down. It has zero redeeming qualities. About four months to go before I can expect decent weather :^(

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Been to the distillery, not bad stuff!
I'm very pleased. The rum casking gives it a little something different without being weird. There's some nice Irish whiskey getting released these days. I read that Irish got a bad name during prohibition due to people selling domestic rotgut as Irish. It's nice seeing Irish whiskey take off, and get more makers than Jameson and Bushmills in on the game.

Reactions: TallBill

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
378447_0_9999_v1_m56577569854703214.png

Yuengling-_Golden-_Pilsner-bottle-_Beer_Pulse-2.jpg

The beer's good. Crisp and light. Lighter than what I usually get, but good for summer.

The rum's delicious. This was probably the best recommendation I ever got from this site. That said, I think I'm done with rum exploration, unless I see/get recommended something of verifiable quality. There's too much shenanigans in rum production. No real guidelines by statute. Seems like everything's fair game, and the only requirement is had to be sugar at some point. Objectively, I guess the main requirement is it tastes good, but subjectively, it tastes better when it was made with skilled distillation and casking. Anything added aside from age is cheating, and cheapens it a bit. I posted before I thought Kirk & Sweeney was delicious, but the more I tasted it, the more it tasted like the weird vanilla flavor EJ brandy XO("extra smooth" :rollseyes: ) has. It tastes good, but it tastes like a chemist put it together. Something anyone with a gas spectrometry setup could do.

I'll stick with my first two rums which were both winners(Pussers. Angostura 1919), and that'll be sufficient for my rum fix.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
My current selection. It's funny back when I was a bum cruising from unemployment to crap job to unemployment and so forth. I used to get drunk on a shoestring budget the more liquor in the bottle the better. In fact I once gave a lightning talk called "alcoholism on a shoe string budget" I talked about home distilled grappa and home made sambuca (sambuca concentrate mixed with sugar boil it up, wait for it to cool down, then pour it into an empty 2 litre coke bottle. Oh yeah) that shit will get you drunk. It isn't pleasant but it does the job.

These days though. I appreciate the quality.

ul4n3vQ.jpg

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
My current selection. It's funny back when I was a bum cruising from unemployment to crap job to unemployment and so forth. I used to get drunk on a shoestring budget the more liquor in the bottle the better. In fact I once gave a lightning talk called "alcoholism on a shoe string budget" I talked about home distilled grappa and home made sambuca (sambuca concentrate mixed with sugar boil it up, wait for it to cool down, then pour it into an empty 2 litre coke bottle. Oh yeah) that shit will get you drunk. It isn't pleasant but it does the job.

These days though. I appreciate the quality.

ul4n3vQ.jpg

I had some Nikka Coffey Grain a few weeks ago. It's VERY good.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Old fashioned with orange/regular bitters, made with Pikesville Rye.

Probably tap back into my bottle of Angel's Envy rye tonight, or perhaps finish of my bottle off Noah's Mill or Four Roses Single Barrel.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Old fashioned with orange/regular bitters, made with Pikesville Rye.

Probably tap back into my bottle of Angel's Envy rye tonight, or perhaps finish of my bottle off Noah's Mill or Four Roses Single Barrel.

You sir, have some good tastes.

I'm slumming it with some Elijah Craig. If you can get it for under $25 it's a great bottle of bourbon.

Nov 8, 2012
Attempting to clear out my collection in my closet for a few reasons:
1) I need to drink less... less delicious beers in the house, the less tempted I am.
2) I honestly don't think these are going to age well long term without some kind of extra refrigerator where I can store all of these.

So for tonight...

1ef9379745b03436dd992e6150430edb.jpg

epjnmj73oqqtzdLdszxXr2HID3ML9ptc3VpgxmCkKKA.jpg

Reactions: gorb

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
You sir, have some good tastes.

I'm slumming it with some Elijah Craig. If you can get it for under $25 it's a great bottle of bourbon.

I've just started really dipping my toe into the Bourbon/Rye waters, in terms of building up a collection. It's partly driven by picking up an antique (50's-60's) linen fold dry bar back in February. I've found that most mid-tier bourbons are sufficient for my palette, and I've not really sprung for anything higher end -- Angel's Envy rye is fairly pricey/somewhat difficult to find, I suppose. I have 2 bottles of Blanton's, one I picked up in Japan. I'll never buy Pappy -- that's just absurd.

Elijah Craig puts out some fantastic stuff!