What a modern depression would look like.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
:confused: People are getting new jobs dumbass. Are you that retarded? I said plenty of people are doing fine and you said I was wrong.

I posted to prove how much of an idiot you are and I also included all of the job opening at my company which you seemly ignored. Do I need to post the 100,000s of jobs on monster and dice?

Dave b/c you can't get or keep a job doesn't mean other's can't. How old are you? How long have you been a failure in life?

What's sad are you pathetic replies.

You are wrong.

You have posted nothing.

No name on you, no name on the company, nothing.

Anonymous coward hiding behind the keyboard spewing lies.

Wow aren't you great.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
:confused: People are getting new jobs dumbass. Are you that retarded? I said plenty of people are doing fine and you said I was wrong.

I posted to prove how much of an idiot you are and I also included all of the job opening at my company which you seemly ignored. Do I need to post the 100,000s of jobs on monster and dice? Are you going to post in those ATOT threads and tell those folks that they are lying?

Dave b/c you can't get or keep a job doesn't mean other's can't. How old are you? How long have you been a failure in life?

You are wrong.

You have posted nothing.

Wow aren't you great.

You're the one spewing lies. I'm just pwn'ing you left and right. And you're doing your usual pathetic attempt of deflecting the issue.

Plenty of people are having problems in this economy - check
Plenty of people are doing fine in this economy - check
Open jobs available - check
People in this forum getting new jobs - check
Lots of open positions in my company - check
Oil is going to $200 after the election and before the end of year - negative
Dave McOwen is the forum joke - check

Note - I wouldn't want to give the name of my company b/c I believe we have a janitor position that you may qualify for and I wouldn't want you to walking in my office to clean out my waste basket. :laugh:

edit - Let's keep the pwnage going. Dave, since I'm a coward, where do you work? Your company has no job openings?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

You're the one spewing lies. I'm just pwn'ing you left and right. And you're doing your usual pathetic attempt of deflecting the issue.

Note - I wouldn't want to give the name of my company b/c I believe we have a janitor position that you may qualify for and I wouldn't want you to walking in my office to clean out my waste basket. :laugh:

Ah, your true Anti-American sentiment comes beaming through.

Well done, well done.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Ah, your true Anti-American sentiment comes beaming through.

Well done, well done.

:confused: Love how you ignored everything else. And how is that Anti-American?

Again Dave, where do you work? And are they hiring? Or are you living on welfare?

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
If there is a depression, we haven't seen anything yet.

Unemployment is at 6.5% right now and will probably top out next year at 9 or 10%.

1933 unemployment was 24+%

That doesn't mean that we can't get there. Here in Michigan it's at 9.3% Where it'll be next year is anybodies guess, but I'll venture 12%. If there wasn't a bailout it is projected to be 20-25%.

At 9 to 10% I could still see some companies doing well, at 25% I'd say no one will be untouched.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Health care is still hiring like mad. We're having a hard time finding nurses, doctors, techs, etc... The high cost of living in CA is scaring a lot of them away is what people are telling me.

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Squisher
If there is a depression, we haven't seen anything yet.

Unemployment is at 6.5% right now and will probably top out next year at 9 or 10%.

1933 unemployment was 24+%

That doesn't mean that we can't get there. Here in Michigan it's at 9.3% Where it'll be next year is anybodies guess, but I'll venture 12%. If there wasn't a bailout it is projected to be 20-25%.

At 9 to 10% I could still see some companies doing well, at 25% I'd say no one will be untouched.
Mid 70s unemployment during the recession was 4.9-8.5%, quadruple in oil price, and out of control spending on the Vietnam War had more of a crippling effect on the economy than the 80s recession. Housing value dropped, home foreclosure up, and big item such as sales of automobile was down.

The early 80 unemployment rate of 7.6-9.6% was due to high inflation/interest rate, and 70s bank rate cut to spurt growth partially can be blame for the recession. Housing value dropped, home foreclosure up, and big item such as sales of automobile was down.

Fast forward to 2007-2008.
ME War spending is way out of control.
Oil price jumped to unprecedentedly high price.
Home value fall through the floor, home foreclosure up, automobile manufactures on the brink of bankruptcy, financial institutions & insurance companies files for chapter 7-11 and/or begging the government for handout.
Unemployment is only at 6.5%

IMHO, it will be an absolute disaster if the US unemployment rise to 9-10%, and +20% unemployment would highly suggests Civil War is eminent.

Don't forget that modern civilization is only 4 meals away from anarchy.

Historical Annual US Unemployment with changes in unemployment

List of recessions in the United States

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Modern society is much less civilized and more "in it for themselves" than prior societies. If employment starts getting near 10%, expect street riots and crime to skyrocket, there's a reason the Army is being trained for Marshall law.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
The Suburbs to Urban shift is not happening instead more likely is well armed gated communities will hole themselves up with community armed sentries and community farms (farms instead of lawns) and invite their urban family to move in with them.They will run their own schools make their own rules but their will be law and order. Also, Rural communities will boom. Cities will be a no-go zone totally unsafe. LEO's in those cities will quit in droves much like they fled the danger during Katrina probably move in with family in those suburbs or rural..

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Zebo
The Suburbs to Urban shift is not happening instead more likely is well armed gated communities will hole themselves up with community armed sentries and community farms and invite their urban family to move in with them. Also Rural communities will boom. Cities will be a no-go zone totally unsafe. LEO's in those cities will quit in droves much like they fled the danger during Katrina.

Consider all the trends I've seen say EXACTLY the opposite, you got anything to back up your claim? Big cities are getting safer and the rich folks are moving back in. A big reason is that rising fuel costs make commuting 30 miles one way a ridiculously stupid idea, people once again want to live near where they work...and "rural communities" provide no jobs at all for anyone who isn't a potato farmer.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

I posted to prove how much of an idiot you are and I also included all of the job opening at my company which you seemly ignored. Do I need to post the 100,000s of jobs on monster and dice?

You are wrong.

You have posted nothing.

Wow aren't you great.

You can't be this stupid.

dice.com

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Rainsford
The Suburbs to Urban shift is not happening instead more likely is well armed gated communities will hole themselves up with community armed sentries and community farms and invite their urban family to move in with them. Also Rural communities will boom. Cities will be a no-go zone totally unsafe. LEO's in those cities will quit in droves much like they fled the danger during Katrina.

Consider all the trends I've seen say EXACTLY the opposite, you got anything to back up your claim? Big cities are getting safer and the rich folks are moving back in. A big reason is that rising fuel costs make commuting 30 miles one way a ridiculously stupid idea, people once again want to live near where they work...and "rural communities" provide no jobs at all for anyone who isn't a potato farmer.

How in the world can you consider commuting 30 miles one way a "ridiculously stupid idea"? Even at the height of the oil bubble that would only have been about $8 a day in gas, assuming that you're driving a more fuel efficient car. Wow, 8 whole dollars to live in a nice neighborhood with a big backyard as opposed to living in a cramped city....:roll:

And unless you're living within walking distance from your work, you're still going to be spending money on public transportation.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The Suburbs to Urban shift is not happening instead more likely is well armed gated communities will hole themselves up with community armed sentries and community farms (farms instead of lawns) and invite their urban family to move in with them.They will run their own schools make their own rules but their will be law and order. Also, Rural communities will boom. Cities will be a no-go zone totally unsafe. LEO's in those cities will quit in droves much like they fled the danger during Katrina probably move in with family in those suburbs or rural..

That's not a Depression, Zebo, that's and end of civilization scenario, a survivalist wetdream. There's a difference.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: Wheezer
Originally posted by: nergee
533,000 more people are in a state of economic depression this month compared to last month.....It will get worse......

BUT look on the bright side...in all this economic uncertainty...its nice to see people have their priorities straight.

Blackberry Storm

Why not? Plenty of people have not been affected and won't be.

That's where you are wrong.

I agree with you on some things dave.

But one of the more unfortunate realities is the people at the top dont really feel a depression...

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: Rainsford

How in the world can you consider commuting 30 miles one way a "ridiculously stupid idea"? Even at the height of the oil bubble that would only have been about $8 a day in gas, assuming that you're driving a more fuel efficient car. Wow, 8 whole dollars to live in a nice neighborhood with a big backyard as opposed to living in a cramped city....:roll:

And unless you're living within walking distance from your work, you're still going to be spending money on public transportation.

Actually, trends do show a migration of the rich to the city. In Boston, luxury condos/apts are going up and selling out prior to construction even in this economy. Also, there have been news stories of people looking to buy homes that were close distance to public transportation. I know if I ever moved out to burbs, it would have to be close to commuter rail station.

Trading Places
Moving On: Urban Nesters Head Downtown

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Living in the exurbs is becoming more expensive by the minute. $4 gas was just a taste of things to come, and insurance rates often reflect less than optimal fire and police services. Not to mention that vehicle maintenance costs are mileage based, as well. There's also the issue of time, which is essentially all any of us have on this earth. If you don't mind wasting a lot of it fighting traffic and weather, then moving out to the hinterlands won't bother you.

In a depression scenario, city life has a lot to offer. First off, the chances of picking up odd jobs are increased, even if the pay is lousy- it's still better than no pay. And people who're on the lower end of it all can actually *walk* to a lot of places they need to go- a truly remarkable concept... survival is entirely possible w/ no vehicle at all, making total cost of existence a lot lower...

Oct 30, 2004

I don't know what a modern depression would look like and I don't want to know. Unfortunately, we're probably going to find out and it's not going to be pretty.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Acanthus

I agree with you on some things dave.

But one of the more unfortunate realities is the people at the top dont really feel a depression...

I believe they will this time because so much of the economy is built on service only now.

They ruined their own infrastructure that supports their bad habits, very much like pissing in your Cheerios.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

I don't know what a modern depression would look like and I don't want to know. Unfortunately, we're probably going to find out and it's not going to be pretty.

True, even America's new chosen one is warning of the impending doom ahead:

12-7-2008 Obama: Economy 'a big problem, and it's going to get worse'

President-elect Barack Obama braced the country for more tough times Sunday, saying twice in an interview that the nation?s already dismal economy would continue to worsen in the months ahead.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

President-elect Barack Obama braced the country for more tough times Sunday, saying twice in an interview that the nation?s already dismal economy would continue to worsen in the months ahead.

Interesting also is his new stance of going back on campaign promises:
*bringing the troops home, and
*repealing the Bush tax cuts.

Get ready for more deficit spending!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: blackangst1

You should be thrilled then becaue he would be like Bush Jr part II.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Why is that? Can you link where Ive been thrilled with Bush? Tell you what...for every link you find where I have, I'll link where Ive lambasted him. If I cant link more cons of Bush to the pros I'll paypal you $50. Deal?

Chickenshit.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Why is that? Can you link where Ive been thrilled with Bush? Tell you what...for every link you find where I have, I'll link where Ive lambasted him. If I cant link more cons of Bush to the pros I'll paypal you $50. Deal?

Chickenshit.

No link necessary:

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
Living in the exurbs is becoming more expensive by the minute. $4 gas was just a taste of things to come, and insurance rates often reflect less than optimal fire and police services. Not to mention that vehicle maintenance costs are mileage based, as well. There's also the issue of time, which is essentially all any of us have on this earth. If you don't mind wasting a lot of it fighting traffic and weather, then moving out to the hinterlands won't bother you.

In a depression scenario, city life has a lot to offer. First off, the chances of picking up odd jobs are increased, even if the pay is lousy- it's still better than no pay. And people who're on the lower end of it all can actually *walk* to a lot of places they need to go- a truly remarkable concept... survival is entirely possible w/ no vehicle at all, making total cost of existence a lot lower...

I like how people think living 10 miles away from a big city is living "out in the hinterlands".