What a modern depression would look like.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
The mental-recession crowd on here loves to talk about how there aren't bread lines and soup kitchens like there were in the 30s, so everything is fine and dandy. Even if we do get a depression and unemployment hits 25% or something, you'd still not see much of that, because its completely unrealistic to expect society in 2009 to look like one in 1929 without taking into account all the changes over the last 80 years.

Here's an article that tries give a clear picture of what a depression would look like in the context of today's world, not the caricature world of the metan-recessionists.

Depression 2009: What would it look like? Lines at the ER, a television boom, emptying suburbs. A catastrophic economic downturn would feel nothing like the last one.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Martin
The mental-recession crowd on here loves to talk about how there aren't bread lines and soup kitchens like there were in the 30s, so everything is fine and dandy.

They will see for themselves soon enough.

There are even signs that many of them will experience it first hand as well.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Some decent bits.

Not the first time I've heard about a movement from Suburbia to Urban in droves, but I still don't buy it.

Lean times might kill off much of the taboo around buying hand-me-downs
Great idea. I already have mrsskoorb get me clothes from places that sell used and "sold for a buck" clothing. I don't even know if what I wear is new or not, but the same mentality that tells somebody a three year old car should be replaced works with clothes, too; people are brutal with their money and frivolous and foolish. For me, it's not because I cannot buy from a retailer but because it's a waste of money.
They may also, Nestle suggests, try their hands at growing and even raising more of their own food, if they have any way of doing so. Among the green lawns of suburbia, kitchen gardens would spring up.
No, the only time this would happen in appreciable numbers would be in a post-apocolyptic US where there are no alternatives. It's nonsense to think people's yards will turn into farms in any real numbers.

This article is more fun than based on anything; he has no sources, really. He could possibly write a script for a movie but I'm not really convinced on most of his points. He's right about TV, but doesn't really say what that means, so it's kind of a pointless prediction.

Psychological comments on the last page were interesting.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why do we even have to look back to the Depression?

The late 70s would be a much more timely comparison period.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: XMan
Why do we even have to look back to the Depression?

The late 70s would be a much more timely comparison period.

Yes it be nice if the depression talk was least held off until we get into a recession that was worse than that period.

nergee

Jan 25, 2000
533,000 more people are in a state of economic depression this month compared to last month.....It will get worse......

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: nergee
533,000 more people are in a state of economic depression this month compared to last month.....It will get worse......

BUT look on the bright side...in all this economic uncertainty...its nice to see people have their priorities straight.

Blackberry Storm

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
there are a lot more guns & a lot more people in the United States now.

also the general public has a lot less knowledge about food - how to grow it if the trucks don't pull into your local market for whichever reason.

but, just to be sentimental, you remember the George & Lenny characters in Grapes of Wrath ? one of them had a pet rat and did not score high on tests. so maybe it will be like that, except instead of a rat, he'll have an iPod.

i was initially surprised by the frank notes by Anand in the Core i7 MB round-up. 33 BIOS updates for 5 motherboards in a space of 2 months ? i have to wonder if the MB manufacturers are pushing the products out the door a little earlier than they normally would. getting a percentage of Nehalem revenues is part of a stay-in-business strategy in this economy.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Wheezer

BUT look on the bright side...in all this economic uncertainty...its nice to see people have their priorities straight.

Blackberry Storm

Why not? Plenty of people have not been affected and won't be. Is everyone supposed to stop spending and ruin the economy more?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

Blackberry Storm

Why not? Plenty of people have not been affected and won't be.

That's where you are wrong.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Blackberry Storm

Why not? Plenty of people have not been affected and won't be.

That's where you are wrong.

Wrong again Dave. Then why are so many people buying Blackberry Storms, iPhones, HDTV's, etc?

Why are some companies still hiring? Sure a number of people are affected by the economy but many aren't also.

Thanks for playing again Dave!

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Why are some companies still hiring?

Where?

Please do a good public service for a chnage and post these miraculous job openings.

Mickey D's and Walmart does not count.

My company and thousands of other's on Monster and Dice. Sorry Dave, we know you can't keep a job and your experience is limited to McDonald's and Walmart but some of us are educated, skilled, employed and do well for ourselves.

We're not stupid enough to buy $7 milk and believe that oil is going to $200.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999

Blackberry Storm

Why not? Plenty of people have not been affected and won't be. Is everyone supposed to stop spending and ruin the economy more?

no, not at all..as a matter of fact there were many areas that went relatively untouched the first time around.

In this day and age it would not be surprising if MOST of the nation goes lightly skimmed by this alleged depression.

But, the point is that part of the reason many people fall victim so readily to this kind of economic crunch is because of screwed up priorities in where to put their money.

If you have the money to buy a nice new shiny phone and the service that goes with it great...good for you.....just don't crybitch when you have a harder time putting food on the table or paying your electric bill.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Blackberry Storm

no, not at all..as a matter of fact there were many areas that went relatively untouched the first time around.

In this day and age it would not be surprising if MOST of the nation goes lightly skimmed by this alleged depression.

But, the point is that part of the reason many people fall victim so readily to this kind of economic crunch is because of screwed up priorities in where to put their money.

If you have the money to buy a nice new shiny phone and the service that goes with it great...good for you.....just don't crybitch when you have a harder time putting food on the table or paying your electric bill.

Gotcha. I remember the story of the woman making the sacrifice of not being able to buy herself designer jeans in order to buy presents for her children. Plenty of people don't save but spend it on luxury items. And if things do go bad for them, they'll be looking for a bail out.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Where?

Please do a good public service for a chnage and post these miraculous job openings.

My company and thousands of other's on Monster and Dice. Sorry Dave, we know you can't keep a job and your experience is limited to McDonald's and Walmart but some of us are educated, skilled, employed and do well for ourselves.

Milk already hit $6, oil already hit $147, gas already hit $5

You and your buds have already destroyed the country by design and on purpose.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Where?

My company and thousands of other's on Monster and Dice.

Sorry Dave, we know you can't keep a job and your experience is limited to McDonald's and Walmart but some of us are educated, skilled, employed and do well for ourselves.

Where?

I don't see a posting.

There are people looking right here on this site.

You're full of it as usual. Very sad.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Where?

Milk already hit $6, oil already hit $147, gas already hit $5

You and your buds have already destroyed the country by design and on purpose.

Me? How did I destroy this country Dave? You know that I'm a liberal democrat, right?

And Dave how long did those prices stay at? What's the avg price of those items for the year? Last 8 years? Last 16 years?

Then why have all of those prices dropped? And I thought milk reached $7? And gas nor milk ever reached those prices at a nation level, so please STFU. Your bullshit and stupidity is tiring. Don't post unless you understand the subject which means you shouldn't be posting in this forum anymore.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Me? How did I destroy this country Dave? You know that I'm a liberal democrat, right?

And Dave how long did those prices stay at? What's the avg price of those items for the year? Last 8 years? Last 16 years?

Then why have all of those prices dropped? And I thought milk reached $7? And gas nor milk ever reached those prices at a nation level, so please STFU. Your bullshit and stupidity is tiring. Don't post unless you understand the subject which means you shouldn't be posting in this forum anymore.

Liberal Democrat Bahahahahahahaha what a :laugh:

All this coming from an anonymous coward Bahahahahahahaha

What's the matter? Your lies exposed for all the country to see?

Did you really expect to not be called on the carpet??? :confused:

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Where?

My company and thousands of other's on Monster and Dice.

Sorry Dave, we know you can't keep a job and your experience is limited to McDonald's and Walmart but some of us are educated, skilled, employed and do well for ourselves.

Where?

I don't see a posting.

There are people looking right here on this site.

You're full of it as usual. Very sad.

:laugh: Now, that I have to pwn you again. Please leave and don't come back here you lying piece of dung. For some reason, you take pleasure in wanting to see the worse happen to this country. B/c you live such a miserable life, you think everyone's life is miserable. I could link all of the job openings from Monster and Dive but I'll probably be banned for spamming. But....

Over in ATOT:

Posted 12/5/08 - what would you do w/ a job counteroffer?

Posted 12/4/08 - Job Advice

Posted 12/1/08 - Just moved to Virginia from Alaska! Tell me about the area (DC Metro)

Posted 12/1/08 - I have an interview on Friday

Posted 11/30/08 - UPDATED - Got a job offer, but not sure if I should wait for a better one

Posted 11/13/08 - New Grad: Should I Take the Job?

Just my company:

<sniped>

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

:laugh: Now, that I have to pwn you again. Please leave and don't come back here you lying piece of dung. For some reason, you take pleasure in wanting to see the worse happen to this country. B/c you live such a miserable life, you think everyone's life is miserable. I could link all of the job openings from Monster and Dive but I'll probably be banned for spamming. But....

Over in ATOT:

Posted 12/1/08 - Just moved to Virginia from Alaska! Tell me about the area (DC Metro)

Posted 11/30/08 - UPDATED - Got a job offer, but not sure if I should wait for a better one

Just my company:

Job Title Location Department Sort descending Date updated
Principal Medical Writer Cambridge, MA Medical Writing 05-Dec-2008
Lead Engineer Cambridge, MA IT Services 05-Dec-2008

You've posted nothing of use here, absolutely nothing.

What do those threads in OT have to do with anything with you or your company or the jobs situation?

You're getting sadder by the second.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Over in ATOT:

Just my company:

Job Title Location Department Sort descending Date updated
Principal Medical Writer Cambridge, MA Medical Writing 05-Dec-2008
Lead Engineer Cambridge, MA IT Services 05-Dec-2008

You've posted nothing of use here, absolutely nothing.

What do those threads in OT have to do with anything with you or your company or the jobs situation?

You're getting sadder by the second.

:confused: People are getting new jobs dumbass. Are you that retarded? I said plenty of people are doing fine and you said I was wrong.

I posted to prove how much of an idiot you are and I also included all of the job opening at my company which you seemly ignored. Do I need to post the 100,000s of jobs on monster and dice?

Dave b/c you can't get or keep a job doesn't mean other's can't. How old are you? How long have you been a failure in life?

What's sad are you pathetic replies.