Welcome to the Distributed Computing Forum ... say Hello

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Hey everybody! I'm interested in joining the team. Other than switching my team affiliation on the specific sites (seti@home, milkyway@home) is there anything I need to do.

Ready to commit my Vega 64 and 2700x a few hours a day and a 2200g build 24/7.
Welcome! Be careful though, crunching can be habit forming! :)

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Hey everybody! I'm interested in joining the team. Other than switching my team affiliation on the specific sites (seti@home, milkyway@home) is there anything I need to do.

Ready to commit my Vega 64 and 2700x a few hours a day and a 2200g build 24/7.
Welcome, welcome. Pick any project(s) of your liking and happy crunching!
If you need some hardware-project optimisation or anything else, feel free to create a thread.

Welcome! Be careful though, crunching can be habit forming! :)
I seconded that. Avoiding any thread with "FB" and "challenge" word on it would be wise. But... you'll (probably) lose bragging rights by doing so. ;)

@Smoke I'm always glad to see you're still around, sir!

Reactions: TennesseeTony

VietOZ

Aug 3, 2019
Thanks for the warm welcomes, guys!
@Markfw : no i'm still with XS :)
I was browsing the internet trying to see if any new info on when the new TR is gonna come out. Then i found that thread. Saw the FUD so I posted my experiences with the CPU. :)
Not sure why so many negatives around Ryzen 3000s, so far it's been a blast for me.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Not sure why so many negatives around Ryzen 3000s, so far it's been a blast for me.
Welcome! And... exactly! Ryzen 3000-series is an awesome upgrade! (For DC'ers specifically, the AVX/AVX2 performance being extended to 256-bit hardware paths, is a welcome change.)

archeye

Aug 30, 2019
Hi,
I started supporting DC projects in 2013 and had a break for the few years after the second GPU in my XPS laptop died which I attributed (for both) to overheating when running Boinc tasks.

This XPS is long since gone and now with my current PC I found TThrottle to manage the GPU and CPU temps. So much more happier now that I believe my hardware is less likely to be destroyed.

Coming back to Boinc project support after a few years away it seems the Boinc teams are active with users crunching but the forums have very little activity.

For me, being part of a team is not just moving rocks from A to B but and more importantly conversing with others in the team. Maybe this is not the same for all of you but for me I feel a team should be more about being part of a community that is working together towards a common goal. The team forums I tried to join up to now required an admin permission. Well lets say, I am still waiting for admin responses.

I see now Team Anand Tech has a lot more to offer than just the DC part for Boinc or other DC projects.

Before I switch teams I wanted to "feel the water" and see how interactive this DC forum is.

Anyway, looking forward to tomorrow.
Today was a new adventure and tomorrow offers so many more possibilities :)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yep. we're pretty "interactive". I tend to hang in the shadows unless there's a race afoot. Been doing mostly some WCG and PrimeGrid, when I'm not mining (an activity largely frowned on by DC'ers at large, so I try not to bring it up. It's just that, it helps my monthly budget a bit. Having money for food is a good thing, after spending all of your free money for the month on a new GPU, for example.).

Anyways, welcome! And don't forget to stick around for the intra-team Folding@Home race in Dec., it's a lot of fun.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Welcome @archeye!

I think you'll find the group here to be pretty lively. Good people for sure!

I hope you didn't keep that XPS on your lap while crunching

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Welcome, you will find us a helpful bunch. It gets quiet here sometimes after a long period of intense racing, but then picks up again.
Pick your project(s), join the TeAm and enjoy the forums.:D