Welcome to the Distributed Computing Forum ... say Hello

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
With the Seti@Home WOW Event getting ready to start, it is a pleasure to welcome ao_ika_red aka Marcellius Ika Permadi and CFrench to TeAm AnandTech and specifically to Seti@Home, TeAm AnandTech.

We appreciate your crunch and would even more appreciate your company. So don't be shy, say hello to your new TeAm Mates! :)

Correction

Last edited:
Reactions: ericlp

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
With the Seti@Home WOW Event getting ready to start, it is a pleasure to welcome ao_ika_red, CFrench and Marcellius Ika Permadi to TeAm AnandTech and specifically to Seti@Home, TeAm AnandTech.

We appreciate your crunch and would even more appreciate your company. So don't be shy, say hello to your new TeAm Mates! :)
Actually Marcellius Ika Permadi is my SETI@home ID name. But because my ATforum account is registered for quite a while, I prefer to keep it that way.
I'm sorry for the confusion.

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
ao_ika_red, thank you for the clarification. :sunglasses:

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
Hello! I've just started up a couple Folding@Home clients on my newly built i5-6600k system and my spare G620 system, tomorrow I'll put them on the two office PC's at my shop :)

Reactions: Thebobo and Smoke

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
Welcome to the TeAm! Pull up a stool and have a :beermug:

Hothead

Sep 7, 2017
Hi!
I've been doing Seti@home since 1999, but later on joined other projects as well. A few days ago I got an invite from a member of pogs theskynet to join TeAm Anandtech. I've never been part of a team before but it's a first time for everything right? Do team Anandtech participate in other projects as well? I am currently active in these:
Einstein@Home 25,454,146 115,387 1 May 2005
MilkyWay@home 14,720,440 30,085 10 Mar 2010
theSkyNet POGS 2,493,063 8,148 4 Oct 2016
SETI@home 2,727,415 205 22 Jun 1999
climateprediction.net 1,233,496 152 16 May 2005
LHC@home 9,172 92 14 Oct 2015
ATLAS@Home 2,911 0 14 Oct 2015
Enigma@Home 3,467,600 0 26 Oct 2011
Collatz Conjecture 22,728,335 0 10 Mar 2010
On a personal note, I'm 45, from Norway and work as a qualified nurse. I've been gaming/building and generally fiddeling with computers since I was 12, and it's a great hobby to have! Nowadays work and family life eats most of my time though. Currently running a Ryzen 1800X with a FuryX GPU.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Hi Hothead, and welcome! We participate in all your listed projects, and many more as well! It's very nice to have another fellow hobbyist on the team, and now we have someone to ask about medical advice, too! (Just kidding, I would not do that to you!)

Reactions: Hothead

Hothead

Sep 7, 2017
Hi Hothead, and welcome! We participate in all your listed projects, and many more as well! It's very nice to have another fellow hobbyist on the team, and now we have someone to ask about medical advice, too! (Just kidding, I would not do that to you!)
Haha! Thanks for the welcome. :) I guess I'll join the team on the other projects as well, and then start roaming these forum pages.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Several new members. That's great welcome to the TeAm and thanks for you contribution.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Welcome to all the latest arrivals. It's a mellow place here and feels like home. Grab your favorite quencher from our fridge and fire up the key board. We are here to help the best we can.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
A Wolfie sighting:eek:
Still hanging in MN, cutting grass and plowing snow?
Good to know your still around:):cool:

Reactions: Smoke

Wolfie

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
OK! Smoke!
I am still plowing snow and cutting grass. It seems like it never ends. How many of us is there left? I see VirGe is still working for Anand...

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Hmmm, where do I begin? Well, the good news is, we are still alive! :D I just built a new rig first time in a LONG time of not really building any computers. I've done DC on and off. Mostly, interested in SETI. Then it dawned on me, that... We will probably NEVER find a signal, the Reason Why?

The universe is HUGE! Well, that's only part of the reason. The next reason is ... An advanced species "usually" will only use radio frequencies for maybe 100 years. Before it moves on to everyone being connected. Radio / TV broadcasting will only be around for 20-30 more years at best before everyone is just connected to the web. It will die quietly ... kinda like the news paper and record / cd players. Anyway....... That is a very small window to find a signal before alien life advances to something more faster and uses a lot less power to send information.

So, that's my theory. Kinda depressing when doing DC for so long and still haven't hit on anything yet. I know it's like winning the jackpot, but with VERY VERY LOW odds. Sigh. I was thinking of moving on to other projects .. but none really interest me much. Maybe I should do F@H since, heck, maybe I'll probably have better odds getting cancer than finding ET.

Oh was I suppose to introduce myself? Probably the only one here that live in Pahoa Hawaii. But, if anyone else by REMOTE chance lives on this rock ... let's meet up for a cup of coffee!

So, I just built a new AMD 1950X and with a 1080 ti card, tho, I think I need a tad better cooling, as it's not water cooled. I am thinking I need more fans in this rig! :D Maybe let the ThreadRipper have at it for awhile.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Hmmm, where do I begin? Well, the good news is, we are still alive! :D I just built a new rig first time in a LONG time of not really building any computers. I've done DC on and off. Mostly, interested in SETI. Then it dawned on me, that... We will probably NEVER find a signal, the Reason Why?

The universe is HUGE! Well, that's only part of the reason. The next reason is ... An advanced species "usually" will only use radio frequencies for maybe 100 years. Before it moves on to everyone being connected. Radio / TV broadcasting will only be around for 20-30 more years at best before everyone is just connected to the web. It will die quietly ... kinda like the news paper and record / cd players. Anyway....... That is a very small window to find a signal before alien life advances to something more faster and uses a lot less power to send information.

So, that's my theory. Kinda depressing when doing DC for so long and still haven't hit on anything yet. I know it's like winning the jackpot, but with VERY VERY LOW odds. Sigh. I was thinking of moving on to other projects .. but none really interest me much. Maybe I should do F@H since, heck, maybe I'll probably have better odds getting cancer than finding ET.

Oh was I suppose to introduce myself? Probably the only one here that live in Pahoa Hawaii. But, if anyone else by REMOTE chance lives on this rock ... let's meet up for a cup of coffee!

So, I just built a new AMD 1950X and with a 1080 ti card, tho, I think I need a tad better cooling, as it's not water cooled. I am thinking I need more fans in this rig! :D Maybe let the ThreadRipper have at it for awhile.

Welcome back I still do SETI mostly because I use to do SETI back in the early days eh and I'm old and set in my ways. BTW did you duck and cover last week? Also I have a good friend who lives in Kapaa.

Reactions: ericlp

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
BTW did you duck and cover last week?

Nah... Slept right though it. The air raid sirens didn't go off. Even if I happened to be awake and got the message on my cell phone (I did not) I would have treated it like every other warning that Hawaii gets. We get lots of hurricane, tsunami, flood, etc...etc.. Incoming IBM *cough* ... I rarely ever take action or even blink an eye.

1) I doubt NK could successfully deliver a missile to Hawaii.
2) The 'Big island' isn't the intended target, Oahu has tons of military bases and over a million people.

I think people enjoy being freaked out over here, and take these kind of warnings way too seriously.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Howdy, I’m focused on SETI@Home at the moment. I will upgrading and adding equipment soon to bust into the daily top 5 for the team. Came over from a dying Team Linux. They’ve lost a handful of members since I joined up. Your crew seems active as well as communicative!

hello.gif

Welcome!