Welcome to the Distributed Computing Forum ... say Hello

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
Howdy, I’m focused on SETI@Home at the moment. I will upgrading and adding equipment soon to bust into the daily top 5 for the team. Came over from a dying Team Linux. They’ve lost a handful of members since I joined up. Your crew seems active as well as communicative!

Hello Tom!

It is great to have you with us.

Reactions: ao_ika_red

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Thought I'd drop in to say howdy. I just joined the Team and am excited to get folding. I'm not running anything crazy, just a 1070ti, but I'm happy to contribute. I'm also hoping to get 3 of my buddies on board as well.

It's weird, but it says my username has run F@H for Anandtech years ago (2008). I seem to vaguely remember doing that for a bit, so I guess I've been on the team for 10 years and just not contributing, haha. Looking forward to changing that.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Thought I'd drop in to say howdy. I just joined the Team and am excited to get folding. I'm not running anything crazy, just a 1070ti, but I'm happy to contribute. I'm also hoping to get 3 of my buddies on board as well.

It's weird, but it says my username has run F@H for Anandtech years ago (2008). I seem to vaguely remember doing that for a bit, so I guess I've been on the team for 10 years and just not contributing, haha. Looking forward to changing that.
Welcome to the TeAm, Modular!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

tumblr_o5vqdbAPE31tpri36o1_500.gif

That 1070ti will pull somewhere around the neighborhood of 700,000k per day, so the team will always welcome that. :)

Reactions: Assimilator1

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016

Glad to have you here. We'll have annual internal f@h challenge on December.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Just joined the TeAm. Always wanted to try DC but never had the chance until now. I'll be doing WCG with an Athlon X4 845; not sure how useful it'll be but it's running 24/7.
Finally, another TeAm member with Carrizo to boot. Welcome onboard. I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

Hi-Fi Man

Oct 19, 2013
Still trying to get Linux up and running but I'm running into a few issues with Ubuntu booting to a GRUB prompt after install and Fedora with MATE just being really buggy. I'm curious, what do you guys use for running BOINC on Linux? I'll be trying Fedora again with another DE; probably will try LXQT.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Woohoo! Two new friends for Christmas! Howdy y'all!

@Hi-Fi Man, yeppers, we have had pretty good luck with Linux Mint around here, and also it is likely the only Distro all but two of us have experience with. ;)

Hi-Fi Man

Oct 19, 2013
Got everything up and running finally. Ended up going back to Debian with MATE because everything actually works and it's very lightweight. It gives me a time indication which I'm guessing is when that batch of work is estimated to be completed. Is that correct?

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Yes. I am assuming you are speaking of BOINC/World Community Grid, and that MATE is a GUI, not command line Linux. Sounds like you may have the BOINC client on 'Simple View' though. I prefer going to the tab labeled VIEW and selecting ADVANCED VIEW.

You may already know, but WCG has many sub-projects, by default you contribute to all of them. But you can pick and choose if you like.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
Hey everybody! I'm interested in joining the team. Other than switching my team affiliation on the specific sites (seti@home, milkyway@home) is there anything I need to do.

Ready to commit my Vega 64 and 2700x a few hours a day and a 2200g build 24/7.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hey everybody! I'm interested in joining the team. Other than switching my team affiliation on the specific sites (seti@home, milkyway@home) is there anything I need to do.

Ready to commit my Vega 64 and 2700x a few hours a day and a 2200g build 24/7.
Nice, welcome!

I think you just need to make sure that your Team setting in each project, is set to "TeAm Anandtech", or whatever the team's name is for that project. Then, crunch away!

I used to have my 2700 @ 4.0Ghz rig crunching WCG:OpenZika (for some race or another, I just let it continue), but it was tripping my breaker. :( :( :(

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
Welcome

"The friendliest place on the web"