We all know Newt is unelectable...

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
In defense of Rick Perry, with gaffes like the recent statements that the Supreme Court has 8 members, the voting age is 21 and unable to name Justice Sotomayor:

I've discussed the swing vote on the Supreme Court being Anthony Kennedy many times for years.

But recently I went to make a point about him being the right-wing member not radical like others, and just could not think of his name for the first time.

If I'd been on camera, it'd have been the 'um, um, um' thing. It happens.

And I had to correct the spelling of Sotomayor above.

Perry's an idiot, but I think it's fair to cut him a little slack.

It really distracts from discussing the real issues like his selling out the public on policy, to make the issue his not coming up with a name at times.

The fact he'd appoint a horrible judge is what matters far more than his inability to recall Sotomayor's name. Give me someone who can't remember it and will appoint better.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The fact he'd appoint a horrible judge is what matters far more than his inability to recall Sotomayor's name. Give me someone who can't remember it and will appoint better.

I think he is still in shock that anyone would consider Sotomayor to be good enough for the Supreme Court...let alone for her to actually make it there...

But I agree with what you are saying for the most part. It is like when reporters burst in and say "What is the capitol of Azerbajan?" then run off and post how the person is clueless about foreign affairs...

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I think he is still in shock that anyone would consider Sotomayor to be good enough for the Supreme Court...let alone for her to actually make it there...

We have a different opinion about that. She seems very good, while people like Thomas seem unqualified, and people lie Roberts have talent but a corrupt ideology.

But I agree with what you are saying for the most part. It is like when reporters burst in and say "What is the capitol of Azerbajan?" then run off and post how the person is clueless about foreign affairs...

I'm not talking about 'hard questions', which I haven't seen the media do as you describe.

That's Herman Cain's nonsense 'bekibekibekibebki stanstan'.

The examples I've seen are very basic errors, not media 'gotcha'.

Aug 14, 2001

She's very well qualified. Even the ABA rated her as highly qualified in their assessment. Now maybe you disagree with her judicial views, I disagree with say Scalia, but each of them are qualified Justices.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Modernly, someone who is vocal about being tough on terror and who maintains a substantial military and the willingness to deploy it. Certainly I think most Republicans embrace some form of neoconservatism in that way. Even among Democrats, Ron Paul's laissez-faire approach is more than I think most can bear. He is reminiscent of Neville Chamberlain in that way.

I'd agree with you in 2004, but with all of the military blunders as of the last few years, it seems people are more excited about a hands off policy. Obama was popular for the belief that he's against wars and more apt to use diplomacy.

McCain was singing the tough on terror tune, and he lost by a landslide.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'd agree with you in 2004, but with all of the military blunders as of the last few years, it seems people are more excited about a hands off policy. Obama was popular for the belief that he's against wars and more apt to use diplomacy.

McCain was singing the tough on terror tune, and he lost by a landslide.

Not really. First McCain didn't lose on that - he was ahead in the polls for a bit and the crash of the economy under Republican wet dirty love for deregulation hurt him.

Second, the McCain ticket made outrageous, irresponsible, dishonest attacks on Obama - "likes to pal around with terrorists" was popular - and they did because it got votes.

Third, it wasn't a landslide. It was a healthy win, with the economic disaster, but not a landslide and again was a lot closer/in McCain's favor in polls not long before.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
She's very well qualified. Even the ABA rated her as highly qualified in their assessment. Now maybe you disagree with her judicial views, I disagree with say Scalia, but each of them are qualified Justices.

Right view for not quite the right reasons. The ABA tends to rate any credible Supreme Court nominee as 'highly qualified' IIRC - it save less for disasters like Thomas.

Of course this is a reminder why it's very important not to vote for a Republican president, these appointments.

They don't like the ABA pointing out Thomas was less qualified, so Bush replaced the ABA with the radical right-wing ideological group 'The Federalist Society' for rating nominees.

Feb 10, 2000

The ABA gave Justice Sotomayor a unanimous "well qualified" rating, the same rating received by Roberts, Alito, and all of the other Justices, other than Thomas (whose qualifications were significantly less robust than any other current Justice - he had only been a judge for a sum total of a year when he was appointed, and he was a judge on the DC Circuit, which is not only the least busy Federal circuit but, due to its tiny size, arguably the least important/powerful appellate court in the United States).

Sotomayor graduated summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Princeton, was a top grad of Yale Law School (where she was editor of the Yale Law Review), and proceeded to spend her whole career in public service, including work as a prosecutor and many years in the Federal judiciary. George H.W. Bush appointed her to the federal bench for the first time as a District Court judge, and she served on the 2nd Circuit (one of the busiest Federal circuits) as an appellate judge for 11 years before being appointed to the Supreme Court. She is, in summary, among the elite legal minds of her generation and an exceptionally well qualified Supreme Court Justice.

So Justice Sotomayor was good enough for the elder President Bush, good enough to be a prominent Federal appellate judge for more than a decade, but not good enough to pass the cybrsage test? In what specific areas do you find her credentials lacking?

Last edited:

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

I don't think it's "gotcha" journalism to expect people who want to be President of the United States to have a grasp of foreign affairs and other important issues greatly exceeding that of the average person. And it's not so much that a President needs to know everything about everything as it is that it's hard to imagine someone who wants to be President for the right reasons yet is not at all interested in being engaged in or informed about the major issues of the day.

EVERY instance of some politician looking like an idiot I've ever seen comes not from people asking irrelevant questions like "What is the capitol of Azerbajan?"...it's asking questions that the person really SHOULD know the answer to if they want to be President.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Anyone with ties to the National Council of La Raza is unqualified to be a Supreme Court Judge by default.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Not really. First McCain didn't lose on that - he was ahead in the polls for a bit and the crash of the economy under Republican wet dirty love for deregulation hurt him.

Second, the McCain ticket made outrageous, irresponsible, dishonest attacks on Obama - "likes to pal around with terrorists" was popular - and they did because it got votes.

Third, it wasn't a landslide. It was a healthy win, with the economic disaster, but not a landslide and again was a lot closer/in McCain's favor in polls not long before.
On September 10–12, 2007 in an Associated Press-Ipsos poll of 1,000 adults conducted by Ipsos Public Affairs, 33% approved of George Bush's handling of the "situation in Iraq", while 65% disapproved of it.[2]

On December, 11-14, 2008 An ABC News/Washington Post Poll of 1,003 adults nationwide, found 64% felt the Iraq War was not worth fighting, with 34% saying it was worth fighting, with 2% undecided. The margin of error was 3%.[18]

1. Considering that McCain was popularly summarized as more of Bush in foreign relations, yes, his views on foreign relations was highly unpopular.

2. There is no strict definition of what a landslide is. We can argue semantics all day, but the fact is Obama won over double of the electoral votes compared to McCain, that's a landslide in my book(and many others).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popula...e_invasion_of_Iraq#cite_note-Polling_Report-1

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Was funny to watch stewart this week giving "friendly" advice to republicans on the show to, for their own good, not nominate Newt.

It's seriously depressing that the best the republicans can come up with are the current crop of guys. Ron Paul is the only one of decent character, whether you agree with him or think he's batsh*t insane at least he's got some apparent principles and isn't a total a**hole.