[WCCFTECH] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1180 leaked info and performance

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
Staying ahead of the value curve with a Titan is a really tough thing to do. IMO they have their value for about 6 months, but as soon as people find out about the Ti version coming out, no one wants the titan anymore, so staying ahead of the value curve with a titan is a really tricky business. If it were me I'd just keep it until the next Ti drops. I wouldn't even mess with it. I'm keeping my Ti until the next Ti.
This GTX1180 won't have enough performance to justify uninstalling my drivers let alone removing my card, regardless of resale value. I believe this 1180 will suck for anyone who has a 1080ti or better and it might even put GTX 1080 owners to sleep, especially for the hilarious price tag its sure to have.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to not buy a titan ever; they are overpriced, have inferior and cheap plastic blower coolers and a short longevity (enter Ti). The Ti will be the better bargain.

Secondly, Nvidia may have put the Titan in its own space, beginning with the Volta version, at the bottom of the professional cards.

As for myself, I was very eager to purchase an 1180 when it comes out and then move up to the Ti. However I have been considering to stick with my 1080 until the 1180 Ti comes out and save myself the headache of selling and buying an in-between card.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to not buy a titan ever; they are overpriced, have inferior and cheap plastic blower coolers and a short longevity (enter Ti). The Ti will be the better bargain.

Secondly, Nvidia may have put the Titan in its own space, beginning with the Volta version, at the bottom of the professional cards.

As for myself, I was very eager to purchase an 1180 when it comes out and then move up to the Ti. However I have been considering to stick with my 1080 until the 1180 Ti comes out and save myself the headache of selling and buying an in-between card.

I agree. I won't bother with in between cards like that. I understand Nvidia releases the mid range cards first at enthusiast price points and then dips into the enthusiast market again 9 months later with the real enthusiast product. I just choose now to stick to the enthusiast product and that's it. The 1180 can be ignored completely IMO.

Reactions: TheF34RChannel

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
One would think if they are not releasing anything new in next couple months, why are they not manufacturing enough Pascal to keep in stock? No 1080 or 1080ti in Nvidia store for quite a while. Typically they would wind down stocks of older gen cards, especially SKUs that would compete with or be on par with the new cards (ie, 1170, 1180). If Turing release is delayed till end of year or early 2019... again ... why are the Pascal inventories depleted so early? Yes, you may be able to get them at other etailers, but at rip-off prices. They would not be at rip-off prices if there were adequate stocks.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Roswell aliens gave WCCFTech's resident bigfoot this information. 10/10 solid.

It's probably a pretty solid guess, though. The performance boosts between Nvidia product generations are pretty consistent.

Hell, I could make a pretty bold prediction and say that AMD will have a competing product available 2 years from now as well :)

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Careful there ;)

One other very safe prediction - they’re going to launch/announce sometime before hotchips (because that really isn’t the sane venue.).

More speculatively I wouldn’t be all that surprised if they spend GTC talking about some crazy 7nm successor to the giant Volta compute chips and do the consumer stuff slightly later. Must be coming due pretty soon.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Careful there ;)

One other very safe prediction - they’re going to launch/announce sometime before hotchips (because that really isn’t the sane venue.).

More speculatively I wouldn’t be all that surprised if they spend GTC talking about some crazy 7nm successor to the giant Volta compute chips and do the consumer stuff slightly later. Must be coming due pretty soon.
GTC already occurred a couple days ago. JH keynote address was about AI, deep learning, no mention of Pascal successor.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
I meant Volta successor but the correction mostly stands :)

It would, I suppose, look rather bad if they announced the next, next gen compute chip before the next gen consumer one.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
I meant Volta successor but the correction mostly stands :)

It would, I suppose, look rather bad if they announced the next, next gen compute chip before the next gen consumer one.

I don't know if it would look bad, it's where their big money comes from.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
Is it? This shows the last quarterly earnings from gaming being nearly 3x the revenue of datacenter and 50% higher than all other markets combined.

That likely includes all the mining stuff which caused a surge. Just think of everything sold from Quadro to Tesla etc., I think it was a GN video where it was said that yielded the most cash.

The last time Nvidia detailed chip information at that event, they had already announced and released Pascal. I imagine this will happen again. That event isn't a forum to announce new products; it's an event to deep dive existing products.

Spot on! So they may launch come July after all.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010

Maybe the older Titans were like that, but not the newer ones. The Titan Xp is very well made and as soon as you pick it up, you can tell it's a premium product. The shroud is made from die cast aluminum as is the backplate (like the other reference models), plus it uses one of, if not the best vapor chamber coolers on the market. In fact, you are more likely to have inferior and cheap plastic shrouds with aftermarket GPUs nowadays. Also blower coolers have their advantages and disadvantages just like open air coolers. Neither is completely superior really.

I might buy another Titan card in the future, provided it's the full fat die and not some cut down version.

Reactions: TheF34RChannel

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
Maybe the older Titans were like that, but not the newer ones. The Titan Xp is very well made and as soon as you pick it up, you can tell it's a premium product. The shroud is made from die cast aluminum as is the backplate (like the other reference models), plus it uses one of, if not the best vapor chamber coolers on the market. In fact, you are more likely to have inferior and cheap plastic shrouds with aftermarket GPUs nowadays. Also blower coolers have their advantages and disadvantages just like open air coolers. Neither is completely superior really.

I might buy another Titan card in the future, provided it's the full fat die and not some cut down version.
mybe it looks good, but blower sucks.Aftermarket 1080TI will be faster and with far less noise and temperatures.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Is it? This shows the last quarterly earnings from gaming being nearly 3x the revenue of datacenter and 50% higher than all other markets combined.

Gaming revenue isn’t going anywhere so it makes sense for NVidia to target areas of growth for the company than to dedicate resources to a market they already dominate that doesn’t have the same growth potential.

Reactions: amenx

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
mybe it looks good, but blower sucks.Aftermarket 1080TI will be faster and with far less noise and temperatures.
Far less noise? The 1080ti fe is not loud.
fannoise_load.png

Is the fastest Overclocker....
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Ti_Gaming_X_Trio/33.html

It runs at 83c , but all the heat is blown out of your case.

Fe cards are good quality cards.

Reactions: Carfax83

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Why is everybody calling them aftermarket while the correct expression is third party?

You call aftermarket something like sales support.

Reactions: Ajay

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010

Saying the blower cooler sucks is ridiculous :rolleyes: You know, I hadn't used a blower card in probably 7 or 8 years before I bought my Titan Xp. When I started testing it, I could instantly see the benefits of the cooler, vs the aftermarket cooler on my Zotac Amp Extreme GTX 1080 which was dumping tons of heat in my case. Not that I had bad ventilation or anything, because my case has great airflow and it's large. But even so, I could easily see a big difference in the internal temperature of my case, and even my CPU temperature as a result of the heat being blown out of the backend of my case.