[WCCFTECH] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1180 leaked info and performance

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I haven't found them to he very reliable, and as always they're awfully cryptic with their 'sources', which smells like made up to me.

Also, no event has been announced - and Nvidia does like to out their gaming cards at their own events.

nVidia does have a keynote address at GTC Taiwan on May 30th. They could tease then and maybe 2 weeks later have an event to formally launch it.

Guru

May 5, 2017
I'm going to repeat myself again. there is no reason, logic, business sense, practical sense, financial sense, yolo sense to release new GPU's for desktop on 12nm. I'm 100% sure that Nvidia's next gen desktop GPU's are going to be 7nm and come late Q4 2018 or March 2019.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I'm going to repeat myself again. there is no reason, logic, business sense, practical sense, financial sense, yolo sense to release new GPU's for desktop on 12nm. I'm 100% sure that Nvidia's next gen desktop GPU's are going to be 7nm and come late Q4 2018 or March 2019.

We are already at a historically long gap between generations of nVidia GPUs... even longer than the Thermi disaster. Now mining was pretty much why nVidia waited to properly refresh but now that sales are slowing, it's time to refresh.

And I still think it's 10 nm Turing, not 12 nm Volta.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005

There is reason. It's called maintaining a predictable pace of your business operations. We've seen a cadence of multiple generations +40-50% Titan and +40-50% x80 perf gains from Nvidia releases, with the Titan in a gen releasing with 50% more cores than the x80 part, with or without competition from AMD.

The scuttlebutt is Nvidia paid to develop a custom 12nm process at TSMC. If anything they will want to amortize the cost of that development by getting usable products out of it.

Guru

May 5, 2017
There is reason. It's called maintaining a predictable pace of your business operations. We've seen a cadence of multiple generations +40-50% Titan and +40-50% x80 perf gains from Nvidia releases, with the Titan in a gen releasing with 50% more cores than the x80 part, with or without competition from AMD.

The scuttlebutt is Nvidia paid to develop a custom 12nm process at TSMC. If anything they will want to amortize the cost of that development by getting usable products out of it.
Its not like Nvidia can just magically improve architecture every 2 years and churn out 30% faster graphics. Most of the increase in speed is due to bigger die size or smaller process node, allowing more performance(higher clock rates) at the same power envelope.

The architectural changes can churn out 5-15% more performance usually, and unless there is a new technology like DX12 and Vulkan, architecture for DX11 has been optimized to the limits. Now the issue is balancing, to maintain near max level DX11 performance, while designing your architecture to be really efficient and good at DX12/Vulkan too.

I think overall it makes a lot more sense for them to skip 12nm and go straight to 7nm for desktop GPU's. New mobile, AI, computing chips, etc... they might do 12nm stuff, but in terms of GeForce gpu's, I just don't see it.

Plus if it supposedly only 2 months away from release, wouldn't there be some substantial leaks so far? They would have gotten sample gpu's to their board partners by now and from there we would have seen some substantial leaks.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Plus if it supposedly only 2 months away from release, wouldn't there be some substantial leaks so far? They would have gotten sample gpu's to their board partners by now and from there we would have seen some substantial leaks.

How much do board makers need to know? At launch it's FE cards only. Maybe that's where the Toms rumor comes from, that they were notified that the release is coming and they will get the details needed to build custom cooler designs soon.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Its not like Nvidia can just magically improve architecture every 2 years and churn out 30% faster graphics. Most of the increase in speed is due to bigger die size or smaller process node, allowing more performance(higher clock rates) at the same power envelope.

The architectural changes can churn out 5-15% more performance usually, and unless there is a new technology like DX12 and Vulkan, architecture for DX11 has been optimized to the limits. Now the issue is balancing, to maintain near max level DX11 performance, while designing your architecture to be really efficient and good at DX12/Vulkan too.

I think overall it makes a lot more sense for them to skip 12nm and go straight to 7nm for desktop GPU's. New mobile, AI, computing chips, etc... they might do 12nm stuff, but in terms of GeForce gpu's, I just don't see it.

We already have the Titan part this gen, 5120 cores. Why do you think it would be that hard for Nvidia to release a ~3584 core x80 card on 12nm?

Guru

May 5, 2017
We already have the Titan part this gen, 5120 cores. Why do you think it would be that hard for Nvidia to release a ~3584 core x80 card on 12nm?

More cores, bigger die size, bigger cost.

Ultimately its not hard to purely just make and release such a card, but they would need to release a whole series of cards under a new process. They will also have to equip them with the more expensive GDDR6, at least for the xx80 and xx80ti versions, the xx70 version with a GDDR5x, etc... The new process is less mature and likely will likely have significant amount of lower yields, and the node shrink from 16nm to 12nm bring about 15% performance improvement in the same power envelope, which would not be enough to entice gamers to upgrade.

It would feel like a weak refresh, rather than a substantial new launch. And would Nvidia want to piss off gamers with higher MSRP for same model numbers in order to get more profits as cards are selling much over msrp now, or would they have to place reasonable msrp once again to look positive in their image, but have smaller profits with the new GPU's as opposed to the current pascal lineup!

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
More cores, bigger die size, bigger cost.

Ultimately its not hard to purely just make and release such a card, but they would need to release a whole series of cards under a new process. They will also have to equip them with the more expensive GDDR6, at least for the xx80 and xx80ti versions, the xx70 version with a GDDR5x, etc... The new process is less mature and likely will likely have significant amount of lower yields, and the node shrink from 16nm to 12nm bring about 15% performance improvement in the same power envelope, which would not be enough to entice gamers to upgrade.

It would feel like a weak refresh, rather than a substantial new launch. And would Nvidia want to piss off gamers with higher MSRP for same model numbers in order to get more profits as cards are selling much over msrp now, or would they have to place reasonable msrp once again to look positive in their image, but have smaller profits with the new GPU's as opposed to the current pascal lineup!

Well one observation can be that companies release new products all the time that are marginally better and spend r&d and marketing money, because of buyer psychology of new products drives a burst in sales. The other thing is, they may want to lower prices to steal market share from AMD, but you can alienate your existing customers with a price cut of an existing product, whereas it's more palatable if you simply release a new SKU at a lower price that's as good or slightly better, and might even entice some to upgrade.

What I see is they could be timing new cards with the mining craze dying down so they can boost sales until they are ready to release cut down teslas/titan v cards as the ti model, as I'm sure they have a ton of partially or mostly functional dies that dont make the cut for gv100. Profit margins is one component of businesses but so is revenue stream (and gross profits)--sometimes if you need to boost one you may have to be willing to take a small hit in another.

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
OK so now that we are 4 days away and no 'good' leaks I think we can assume that there won't be a formal announcement (like with product specs, etc), but a teaser could still happen.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Wondering if I should sell my Titan Xp early and buy a GTX 1180 when it's available? These newer cards coming in at a lower price point but with superior performance will definitely lower the value of my card if I decide to wait and sell it later.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Wondering if I should sell my Titan Xp early and buy a GTX 1180 when it's available? These newer cards coming in at a lower price point but with superior performance will definitely lower the value of my card if I decide to wait and sell it later.

Do you have a backup?

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005

If money is your primary concern, stick to buying ti cards instead of titans.

Reactions: crisium and amenx

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

Staying ahead of the value curve with a Titan is a really tough thing to do. IMO they have their value for about 6 months, but as soon as people find out about the Ti version coming out, no one wants the titan anymore, so staying ahead of the value curve with a titan is a really tricky business. If it were me I'd just keep it until the next Ti drops. I wouldn't even mess with it. I'm keeping my Ti until the next Ti.
This GTX1180 won't have enough performance to justify uninstalling my drivers let alone removing my card, regardless of resale value. I believe this 1180 will suck for anyone who has a 1080ti or better and it might even put GTX 1080 owners to sleep, especially for the hilarious price tag its sure to have.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Staying ahead of the value curve with a Titan is a really tough thing to do. IMO they have their value for about 6 months, but as soon as people find out about the Ti version coming out, no one wants the titan anymore, so staying ahead of the value curve with a titan is a really tricky business. If it were me I'd just keep it until the next Ti drops. I wouldn't even mess with it. I'm keeping my Ti until the next Ti.
This GTX1180 won't have enough performance to justify uninstalling my drivers let alone removing my card, regardless of resale value. I believe this 1180 will suck for anyone who has a 1080ti or better and it might even put GTX 1080 owners to sleep, especially for the hilarious price tag its sure to have.

The real value proposition is to stick to the GTX *70 rotation. You buy into the second tier small core card, which launches first, and is usually equivalent to last gen's Titan/Ti at half or a third of the price. A GTX *70 should last the entire two year generation. The only reason I sold my 1070 was because after owning it for a year and half, I made a profit by selling it during the mining craze.

I used to chase the dragon with high end *80 series cards and SLI etc, but the 970 (even with its 3.5GB of RAM) and the 1070 have been phenomenal cards for the money. I'm sure they're great, and I wouldn't talk someone out of a Titan or Ti card, but I really don't think you can put either card in the same sentence as the word "value".

Reactions: Grubbernaught

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The real value proposition is to stick to the GTX *70 rotation. You buy into the second tier small core card, which launches first, and is usually equivalent to last gen's Titan/Ti at half or a third of the price. A GTX *70 should last the entire two year generation. The only reason I sold my 1070 was because after owning it for a year and half, I made a profit by selling it during the mining craze.

I used to chase the dragon with high end *80 series cards and SLI etc, but the 970 (even with its 3.5GB of RAM) and the 1070 have been phenomenal cards for the money. I'm sure they're great, and I wouldn't talk someone out of a Titan or Ti card, but I really don't think you can put either card in the same sentence as the word "value".

I agree. The X70 is by far the best value and certainly the sweet spot for price/performance. It also has the best longevity because like you said, you get it first and it will be fast enough to last the whole generation. I can't bring myself to end my high end habit just yet in the name of value though. I like that ultimate feeling of having the Ti card and I game at a high res with 100hz, so the Ti is a good place to be. I'm sure a 1070 would be OK too, but I just stopped going SLI each gen, so a single Ti is where I'm at for now. The good news is if I decide to go the X70 route, I can wait a whole other gen before upgrading, lol. I basically have 1170 performance right now most likely. But you know, when that GTX 1180Ti hype starts rolling in, it will suck me up like a tornado and wherever it spits me out, I will likely land with an 1180Ti in my hands. I can't resist. Although if Nvidia price creeps the Ti into Titan price territory, then I'm done with it. I'll go X70 all the way no problem. Not paying a grand for these stupid things just because Nvidia decides it would be nice to get more of my money.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Do you have a backup?

No. I sold all my spare cards, a GTX 980 Ti and a GTX 1080 when I bought my Titan Xp.

If money is your primary concern, stick to buying ti cards instead of titans.

It's not that money is a primary concern, it's that I want to sell my Titan Xp at the most opportune time to get as much money for it as I can, as I might buy another Titan class card.

I agree that the Titan's value plummets after the Ti card becomes available, but the Ti card is typically the last GPU to be introduced in the lineup. So that's why I'm thinking I should sell mine early and get as much for it as I can, so I can buy a GTX 1180 and eventually, a Ti or another Titan card.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005

No. I sold all my spare cards, a GTX 980 Ti and a GTX 1080 when I bought my Titan Xp.

It's not that money is a primary concern, it's that I want to sell my Titan Xp at the most opportune time to get as much money for it as I can, as I might buy another Titan class card.

I agree that the Titan's value plummets after the Ti card becomes available, but the Ti card is typically the last GPU to be introduced in the lineup. So that's why I'm thinking I should sell mine early and get as much for it as I can, so I can buy a GTX 1180 and eventually, a Ti or another Titan card.

The Titan Xp is a in weird place right now, it's so hilariously priced in relation to the 1080 Ti the Titan V looks like a good deal in comparison.

I would say if you just want to maximize your money and still play games without any down time, get as much as you can for the Titan Xp now, and get a 1080 Ti to tide you over until 1180 Ti, assuming there's enough of a gap there to entice you. The Titan Xp doesn't really justify it's price for gaming, maybe for mining as it's decently faster for that.

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
I agree. The X70 is by far the best value and certainly the sweet spot for price/performance. It also has the best longevity because like you said, you get it first and it will be fast enough to last the whole generation. I can't bring myself to end my high end habit just yet in the name of value though. I like that ultimate feeling of having the Ti card and I game at a high res with 100hz, so the Ti is a good place to be. I'm sure a 1070 would be OK too, but I just stopped going SLI each gen, so a single Ti is where I'm at for now. The good news is if I decide to go the X70 route, I can wait a whole other gen before upgrading, lol. I basically have 1170 performance right now most likely. But you know, when that GTX 1180Ti hype starts rolling in, it will suck me up like a tornado and wherever it spits me out, I will likely land with an 1180Ti in my hands. I can't resist. Although if Nvidia price creeps the Ti into Titan price territory, then I'm done with it. I'll go X70 all the way no problem. Not paying a grand for these stupid things just because Nvidia decides it would be nice to get more of my money.
X70 WAS best buy before pascal.GTX670 was super good and cheap(well it was 400USD, but it was barely cutdown vs GTX680 and OC vs OC it destoyed GTX580 by 30-50%).GTX970 was cheap.GTX1070 not so much....New cards for 450-500USD few months after launch and OC vs OC didnt beat old 980TI.
GTX1070 was something like ugly duckling in pascal generation.Its get worst perf uplift vs GTX970(only around 50%) meantime both 1080 and 1060 gets 60-70% gain vs 960 and 980.
Also price increase was from 300USD GTX970 to almost 500USDGTX1070.

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
X70 WAS best buy before pascal.GTX670 was super good and cheap(well it was 400USD, but it was barely cutdown vs GTX680 and OC vs OC it destoyed GTX580 by 30-50%).GTX970 was cheap.GTX1070 not so much....New cards for 450-500USD few months after launch and OC vs OC didnt beat old 980TI.
GTX1070 was something like ugly duckling in pascal generation.Its get worst perf uplift vs GTX970(only around 50%) meantime both 1080 and 1060 gets 60-70% gain vs 960 and 980.
Also price increase was from 300USD GTX970 to almost 500USDGTX1070.

The msrp of the gtx1070 AIB cards was $379 in June 2016, $399 for the FE version.
The gtx1080 was $599 and $699 for the FE at release 2 years ago.
10 months later in March 2017 they both received a price cut, gtx1070 for $349 and gtx1080 for $499.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccfte...70-1060-official-price-cut-specs-upgrade/amp/

It seems to me that the online stores due to mining and supply and demand rarely met these prices.
Prices were higher than the gtx980,970 series but you cant blame that solely on Nvidia, the market drove the prices through the roof by late 2017.
I bought,my gtx1070 around April 2017 for $385 after rebate for a gigabyte extreme edition, a year ago.

Price trends. Not accurate ,they are a little high but a good indicator.
https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/video-card/

Last edited:

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
The msrp of the gtx1070 AIB cards was $379 in June 2016, $399 for the FE version.
The gtx1080 was $599 and $699 for the FE at release 2 years ago.
10 months later in March 2017 they both received a price cut, gtx1070 for $349 and gtx1080 for $499.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccfte...70-1060-official-price-cut-specs-upgrade/amp/

It seems to me that the online stores due to mining and supply and demand rarely met these prices.
Prices were higher than the gtx980,970 series but you cant blame that solely on Nvidia, the market drove the prices through the roof by late 2017.
I bought,my gtx1070 around April 2017 for $385 after rebate for a gigabyte extreme edition, a year ago.

Price trends. Not accurate ,they are a little high but a good indicator.
https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/video-card/
GTX1070 FE MSRP was 450USD at release and nobody cares about 380USD unicorn AIB price.Every card cost same or more few months after release.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1070/

Reactions: crisium

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
GTX1070 FE MSRP was 450USD at release and nobody cares about 380USD unicorn AIB price.Every card cost same or more few months after release.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1070/
Bought my 1070 Aug 2016 for $350, slightly under I believe. AIB Gigabyte WIndforce OC from jet.com. There was a short window after the insane FE prices and the mining boom where prices were good. Granted that lasted all of about 3 months.

Reactions: ZGR

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
I get gainward 1070 GS at launch for almost 500usd/euro.It cost in EU pretty much same almost year.Then mining starts...