[WCCFTech] 290X Specs Confirmed and Benched

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seriously. I am disappoint if the R290X launches at $699. $599 is more reasonable for the rumored performance and $499 woud be even better. :D

As much as I wish the prices would fit your $600 and $500 the reality is that it was never going to be less than $600. Its a premium product aimed squarely at the 780/Titan cards.

My personal opinion is these prices are early price gouging and it should settle over the next couple months but I doubt it will be less than $650 and hitting $600 would be a decent goal considering what its up against.

I will state however that I honestly hope it settles down to the $500-550 range in the new year. That would be fantastic :)

Last edited:

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
As much as I wish the prices would fit your $600 and $500 the reality is that it was never going to be less than $600. Its a premium product aimed squarely at the 780/Titan cards.

My personal opinion is these prices are early price gouging and it should settle over the next couple months but I doubt it will be less than $650 and hitting $600 would be a decent goal considering what its up against.

I will state however that I honestly hope it settles down to the $500-550 range in the new year. That would be fantastic :)

$500 is just my wishful thinking. $599 seems like what AMD should shoot for. A little quicker and a little cheaper than the 780 would make sense.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
$500 is just my wishful thinking. $599 seems like what AMD should shoot for. A little quicker and a little cheaper than the 780 would make sense.

Still nothing about a preorder either. I have lost hope.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
It's a joke at this point. That live stream from Hawaii was a joke too. How incompetent can they be? I truly am baffled by what is going on.

+1

This is the weirdest launch I can remember. Not sure what AMD is trying to do here. I can't imagine putting money down on a card for which I have almost no performance information. What little official information we have is a Firestrike score of ~8000 which isn't all that awesome considering the prices floating around.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Its valid comparing between two nvidia gpus of the same chip though

Nope. Furmark is an invalid test for all GPUs. What it presents has nothing to do with real world power consumption of any GPU ever made because no real world app (compute, game, distributed computing, cuda app) will ever load the GPU and its VRMs to 99.9% simultaneously.

What can be seen from gaming is that 770's 10% increase in performance over 680 came at a cost of increased power usage. A reference 780 actually has superior performance/watt than a max overclocked 770.

58525.png

Last edited:

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
It's a joke at this point. That live stream from Hawaii was a joke too. How incompetent can they be? I truly am baffled by what is going on.

+1

This is the weirdest launch I can remember. Not sure what AMD is trying to do here. I can't imagine putting money down on a card for which I have almost no performance information. What little official information we have is a Firestrike score of ~8000 which isn't all that awesome considering the prices floating around.

Yep +2

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Its all very weird. We have a graphics card with preorders but no price and not much in the way of performance information. We have sound capabilities on a GPU. We have a new API with a flagship game, but the API wont be there when the game releases and it isn't clear what the future of the API is at all.

The message I am getting here is that AMD isn't really sure about what they are doing, they seem to be partially revealing information to build hype but at the same time its building distrust as the reveals we do have are suspicious. I can't help but feel a more direct paper product launch with alpha drivers and reviews would have been a better approach for building up interest in the product.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Nope. Furmark is an invalid test for all GPUs. What it presents has nothing to do with real world power consumption of any GPU ever made because no real world app (compute, game, distributed computing, cuda app) will ever load the GPU and its VRMs to 99.9% simultaneously.

What can be seen from gaming is that 770's 10% increase in performance over 680 came at a cost of increased power usage. A reference 780 actually has superior performance/watt than a max overclocked 770.

58525.png

the original point was that 770 does use more power than 680 due to primarily 1 ghz higher memory clock. a little further back we were wondering if R9 290x going with 512 bus + slower RAM would save power vs 384 bus + faster RAM and that is maybe the reason they went with the 512?

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
I don't get why they haven't released performance info either on the 290x for the preorders. Crazy imo and crazy as this sounds imo makes me think the 290x might perform better than most are expecting and AMD knows/feel preorder customers will be happy, and/or they are keeping tight on the info to keep Nvidia in the dark as long as possible until NDA is up of course.

I just couldn't order this card without performance info (no doubt) unless I really expected this card ($729) to be 5-10% faster than a Titan at the min (to be happy) and anything less would be kind of a disappointment at this price imo. Now if turns out to be 10+ percent I'd be even happier of course. :) I just can't see them doing a preorder with no info on performance unless the above performance percentages are there.

GL to all the preorder members hope the performance is 5-10% or 10%+ for the preorder guys per above which just might turn out to be the case on this no perf info preorder.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

But still most likely the most talked about launch to date.

Flame wars all over the web!

No official benchmarks with or without Mantle yet the battle carries on....Will be remembered for a long time.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
This tells me they are very concerned with an nVidia counter. Could be wrong. Could just be trying to build suspense, i suppose.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
My guess is that reviewers found some god awful bug that has pushed things back. I was fully expecting reviews to be out Oct. 3 to go with the preorders.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
This tells me they are very concerned with an nVidia counter. Could be wrong. Could just be trying to build suspense, i suppose.

The last time we had something like this was Bulldozer. I am starting to question the product. Because I am sure nVidia of all knows everything about it. However average forum user doesnt.

Price is high it seems, performance might not be so high. Preorder first, find out later.

The same with Mantle, overhyped. Yet no performance numbers released. It just doesnt add up.

Last edited:

Granseth

May 6, 2009
I got a feeling this was meant to be 20nm and a Christmas release, but since TSCM pushed the 20nm out into the second half of next year they redesigned it and are pushing it out on 28nm and therefor not everything in the release matches up, like mantle.

Or they might have hired the most confused marketing guy there is, except he got the talking going.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Last time I checked release date was oct 15th.
What part of "pre-order" you don't understand?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I got a feeling this was meant to be 20nm and a Christmas release, but since TSCM pushed the 20nm out into the second half of next year they redesigned it and are pushing it out on 28nm and therefor not everything in the release matches up, like mantle.

Or they might have hired the most confused marketing guy there is, except he got the talking going.

It got nothing to do with 20nm.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Fwiw (Accepting deposits now on the R9-290X preorder)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-015-AM

They are doing it for the 48 hours now. What's the deal? I feel like people are crying rivers left and right, but they didn't bother to check if their problem even exist.

Newegg had those too with "leaked price", and there was Swedish site aswell.

What's so unusual about that? Don't know specs and performance? Well, it is freaking pre-order. We don't know spec of the PS4, but hundreds of thousands of people already pre-ordered it.

And I have a feeling people that are the least likely to buy 290X cry the loudest!

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
What's so unusual about that? Don't know specs and performance? Well, it is freaking pre-order. We don't know spec of the PS4, but hundreds of thousands of people already pre-ordered it.

Actually we do know the the PS4's relative silicon specs. Clocks are still up in the air I think.

And I have a feeling people that are the least likely to buy 290X cry the loudest!

I'm pretty unlikely to buy one myself, but like others, I'm concerned about it's relatively conservative performance. Not having a part that pushes spec as far as they could've sooner can put a dent in investor and consumer confidence. I've been wanting a new GPU and the idea of paying the same or more for a rebadged card is annoying.

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
Overclocked R9 290x @ 1340/1950. Old driver & old GPUZ though, information is kinda mixed up.

Cat 13.6 doesn't support hawaii, fake, only cat 13.20 and above

http://videocardz.com/45324/possible-specs-of-the-amd-volcanic-islands-hawaii-gpu

If there's going to be a dual 290x card please call it Krakatoa or Tambora, I want it to blow out half of the side of my PC and cause another year without a summer because I'll be indoors gaming all year!

Vesuvius, it exists.

Just as likely as dual GTX780/Titan. About Zero.

Stock watercooling, Asetek design, I have used the card myself.

SiliconWars

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2012
Definitely the 290 specs, AMD have shown a slide of it. Should be ~10% slower than the 290X or right at the 780 performance point while being $100 cheaper.