Wasteland 2 First Gameplay Footage!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
No swearing, though. Things were different back then, there's no way it would have made it to release. Nowadays it seems almost like it's a selling point.
I think it is a selling point, it's honest and unfiltered. R rated movies have been using realistically foul language for years, no reason games shouldn't when their made for the same adult audience.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i agree, but we had our own 80s equivalent of the f* word, blood and carnage.

If Jesus Saves, does that means he only takes 1d10 of damage? because if he takes no damage at all, that makes him a Monk.

hmm, i guess that sounds about right.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
looks great. is it going to be "unforgiving" like XCOM? i haven't played the new XCOM yet, but that alone makes me scared to even start.

Huh? Having played the new XCOM, it has difficulty levels ranging from ridiculously easy to impossible. I imagine Wasteland 2 will have difficulty settings as well, like most games since... the dawn of time.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I think it is a selling point, it's honest and unfiltered. R rated movies have been using realistically foul language for years, no reason games shouldn't when their made for the same adult audience.

My only problem with this is that it seems like nearly all games have R rated themes. We seem to be missing the good PG13, PG, and G games. But like all fads, this over the top ultra-violence and swearing fad will fade.

I am impressed by what is available so far, with the exception of the UI. I wish they would make use of PC conveniences like scroll bars in lieu of the page up/page down buttons they have. Inventory sorting and other common mouse options would be great too. (Your standard windows sorting options).

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
If Jesus Saves, does that means he only takes 1d10 of damage?
he doesn't take any fire damage, the rest of the party does. (you got the joke right?)

regarding difficulty, in recent years i've found that playing first time with higher-than-normal difficulty is the way to go because games are so dumbed-down these days.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
My only problem with this is that it seems like nearly all games have R rated themes. We seem to be missing the good PG13, PG, and G games. But like all fads, this over the top ultra-violence and swearing fad will fade.

There are games in all those genres, they just tend to be console games, I think it is because PC's are not seen as a kids platform. But it you look on the consoles you will find games in ever category and for every audience. Some of those even get ported (badly) to PC.
I bet if you went to Steam you would find plenty of games that fall into each category.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001

"Ranger X empties a clip into the Martimus and he explodes like a blood sausage."

Wasteland was mature and violent long before it was a fad. Making it PG would not be true to the original.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
The original game was essentially a precursor to Fallout. I even think that at one point in its early development, Fallout was going to be a sequel to the original wasteland.

So for fans of the original Fallout games or people who prefer a top-down game that's more tactics-based, this is looking great.

I think it's also important in that it shows that supporting game creation via kickstarter is practical and can produce games that are just as enjoyable as those that are traditionally published.

It is my hope that it is also a win for games that aren't hammered into the 'Corporate' image that seems to proliferate games these days. It seems that almost anything coming out of the big name production houses are so watered down and genericized so as to sell the most copies with zero regard for quality, inventiveness or fun.

And the first one was just plain awesomeness.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2004
I played the original Wasteland some back in the late '80's and thought it was pretty cool. I read the Wikipedia article about Wasteland 2 and was struck by this comment in the Wikipedia entry:

There are currently no plans to support any consoles or handheld devices.

Whoo hoo! I love the proposed cover art, too.

Wasteland: Adventure in Post-Nuclear America.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
This is well worth the kickstarter pledge I made. I can't wait to play this game!!!

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
This is well worth the kickstarter pledge I made. I can't wait to play this game!!!

I'm getting pretty excited for this game as well. I wish I had the time to go back and play the original Wastelands, but my video game time is already stretched pretty thin.

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
This looks like a very fun game, but I'm not sure if my eyes can stand it. I still play Fallout 2 from time to time, but Wasteland 2 has a very dark and dreary atmosphere that doesn't go well with the top down look. If all of the environments are like that, I don't think I will bite on this one.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
I pledged early. I'm pumped. It's shaping up great! I only played the origional briefly, right before I headed to college. I (suprisingly) never went back to play all the way through. I'm going to have to fire it up so I get all the inside jokes and references!

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
this is what i remember of Wasteland.

1) using the no-save, disk swap trick to grind endlessly the Citadel for exp and power packs.

2) the fucking Scorpitron in central Las Vegas.

3) Rosebud.

4) "how many f* Bloodstaffs are in this fucking game"

5) Cloning vats, Helicopter Pilot, and Toaster Repair.

6) going back to slaughter the tribes at the Railroad camp. going back to slaughter the dudes at the Black Market. going back to slaughter the Police Station. etc ..

and of course
7) http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Paragraphs

L0ne

Feb 4, 2013
Has anyone played the original recently? It was before my time, but I would like to find it and try it out if it is still somewhat playable.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I have it on disk...and I remember loving it..however,I don't remember any of what I just watched..wonder if I was thinking of another game...going to have to load it up again...

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i have played the original in an emulator, but it's not just quite the same C64 version.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
There are only two things that I am not sure/or afraid of:

1. the line of sight of enemies, it's kind of weird in a really bad way, that when I am standing next to enemy, but his line of sight is so unrealistically thin, that he cannot see that I am literally breathing into his ear

2. the camera, there are just too many 3D top-down games that have a really bad camera, that I became paranoid.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
2. the camera, there are just too many 3D top-down games that have a really bad camera, that I became paranoid.
Yeah, I've come to prefer a fixed camera for many isometric games. At least with turn based combat, you have time to position the camera however you'd like, so I'm not too worried.