Wasteland 2 First Gameplay Footage!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by irishScott, Feb 9, 2013.

1. irishScott

irishScott Lifer

UPDATE: Thread got Necroed, so here's the latest footage, from August: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdmGthYqTbo

Just got the latest update from inXile. Still needs some finishing, but looks awesome overall!

#1 irishScott, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  2. thm1223

thm1223 Senior member

Pardon my ignorance, but what is supposed to be so great about this game?

3. irishScott

irishScott Lifer

It's one of the most successful kickstarter games to date, and it brings back traditional turn-based RPG gameplay and such, as well as various other mechanics that are almost entirely ignored by the big game publishers.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

4. styrafoam

styrafoam Platinum Member

5. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

The original game was essentially a precursor to Fallout. I even think that at one point in its early development, Fallout was going to be a sequel to the original wasteland.

So for fans of the original Fallout games or people who prefer a top-down game that's more tactics-based, this is looking great.

I think it's also important in that it shows that supporting game creation via kickstarter is practical and can produce games that are just as enjoyable as those that are traditionally published.

6. DaveSimmons

DaveSimmons Elite Member

Wow, this looks great so far. And they are keeping the feel as being rangers and the original Wasteland world rather than Fallout 2.5

7. SpacemanSpiff46

If you missed the kickstarter campaign you can still Donate and get the game off the official website.

Also a cool plus, the original Wasteland from '87 will be included if you purchase the game.

8. motsm

motsm Golden Member

Looking very good. Can't really complain about the gameplay so far, but I hope the animations are place holders, as they are rather atrocious.

9. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

I don't really care for turn based RPGs, but I'm glad this game exists for those that do!

10. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt Lifer

That's me on both counts and I'm very pleased. When I first heard about the project I was afraid they were going to make it like Fallout 3 or FNV. There are not enough games like Fallout 1 and 2, it's good to know there will be one more.

11. Stringjam

Stringjam Golden Member

I agree. Not really into turn-based, but it looks like a very cool game for those that are.

12. spittledip

spittledip Diamond Member

Try the original. Wasteland is still fun to this day and available as a free download... I am pretty sure it is legal, but that is probably something you should look into before searching for a download of the game on an abandonware site.

13. Rhezuss

Rhezuss Diamond Member

Damn that looks amazing! Turn based combat, theme, gameplay...awesome!
    Never played the first but this one is looking like a sure buy.

Thanks for posting OP!

14. Martimus

Martimus Diamond Member

It looks like a modern Fallout. Very cool.

15. AlexAL

AlexAL Senior member

Very high hopes for this. And get the UI right for this, pl0x.

16. you2

you2 Diamond Member

Huh? When I contributed via paypal; they gave away a free copy of tales of bard; but not kickstart from 87 (though to be honest i given the age I think I'll prefer what I got :) )

17. FirewolfX

FirewolfX Member

Looks like Fallout Tactics 2

18. DigDog

DigDog Diamond Member

ok, so this looks nice, but;

i honestly don't care about the graphics. i care about challenging gameplay, a great story (nothing over the top please), multiple solutions to problems, and non-linearity. as an original wasteland player (C64), i'm ready to sacrifice everything else to get these things.

19. StinkyPinky

StinkyPinky Diamond Member

The graphics look pretty basic to me. Basic but functional. How primitive do you want them? Ascii?

They have to make the game look presentable otherwise the casual player won't buy it.

20. bguile

bguile Senior member

Looks ok. I suppose I should break down and pre pay for the 25 dollar package. I am always skeptical of these kickstarter games, even more so when they are trying to do sequels to really old games. But the latest xcom turned out pretty good, so hopefully this will too.

My only gripe is the profanity. I don't recall them swearing in the original, but then that was 20+ years ago, so my memory could be hazy. I don't mind it every once in awhile, but when npc's start dropping the f-bomb every other sentence it puts me off.

21. irishScott

irishScott Lifer

It's the apocalypse. I imagine most of the survivors have shitty lives and are pretty pissed off. I'd probably be cursing left and right too.

22. SpacemanSpiff46

23. DigDog

DigDog Diamond Member

oh there was a lot of nastiness in the original; you could even get diseases from hookers.

@pinky
    i'm not asking for the garphics to be worse. i'm saying (actually, i thought i said it pretty well the first time around, but here it is again) that the graphics, whether gorgeous or poor, are irrelevant to me - and possibly to other wasteland players. What matters are the other elements, such as STORY, GAMEPLAY, etc .. what the previous post said.

i want more fallout 1 and less fallout 3

24. DistraughtSysop

DistraughtSysop Junior Member

The original Wasteland was groundbreaking in its time, and the same team was responsible for Fallout. For fans of those titles and that genre of RPG, it's a pretty big deal. Wasteland fans have also been waiting a long time for a proper sequel; projects have come and go over the years but nothing has really come to fruition until now.

For me, Wasteland was one of those games that really stuck with me; I still play it from time to time and it's still fun.

No swearing, though. Things were different back then, there's no way it would have made it to release. Nowadays it seems almost like it's a selling point.

25. Borealis7

Borealis7 Platinum Member

looks great. is it going to be "unforgiving" like XCOM? i haven't played the new XCOM yet, but that alone makes me scared to even start.