WARNING: May Contain Peanuts

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Medicine Bear
Originally posted by: torpid
I'm fairly certain it's a legal requirement for any product that might contain peanuts. The word may sounds funny but my guess is that people who are allergic to peanuts are used to seeing it that way, and the people who make the product probably save money by using one set of wording in all their products.
Still it is a sad reflection on the state of our society

Yeah I think anything with the word peanut in it shouldn't have to have the label. But I do think other products should have it. Especially if they don't otherwise seem to contain nuts.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: Wag
Originally posted by: Phoenix86

May? :confused:
Skippy?

What do they use if it is not peanuts..........

wait, i dont want to know the answer to that question

ha ha ha...what a wonderful thought now that I'm about to eat PB&J for lunch!

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
<---heads off to the kitchen to make a PB sandwich
Is it natural and being made on whole wheat bread ground and baked by hippies in Vermont?

:D

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Holy crap!!! There are peanuts in peanut butter? :shocked:

My wife actually thought there was butter in peanut butter. :laugh:

jds2006

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2005
Maybe it's because people might think it's fake peanutbutter, that it's only cream that tastes like peanutbutter but isn't actually peanutbutter. Kind of like the "I-can't-believe-it's-not-butter" butter brand.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: SagaLore

Skippy?
Actually it is some all natural brand my GF bought at a health food store. 3/4 of the stuff in my house is from there. I keep telling her I don't give a crap if something is all nautral or not, but she is little miss organic. Eh, oh well.

Thank your girlfiend for adding a few more years to your life.
Hooray! I get to live in diapers for a few extra years!

Does she tell you that brown eggs and cage-free and free-range eggs are healthier than the white eggs you get at a grocery store?
Yes, yes, and yes. She really is little miss organic. Most of the time I don't care, but some of it borders on the insane. Organic toothpaste, soap, shampoo, etc. Sometimes I feel like I'm living with the Professor from Gilligan's Island.

Last Thanksgiving she wanted an organic, fresh turkey. So I say ok, we go to get it. Damn bird was $60 and didn't taste a damn bit different to me.

All that being said. Chocolate Silk rules!

Hehehe, I bought a free range turkey once and it didn't taste any different than the frozen butterball turkeys you get at the supermarket. It did cost 3 times as much though.

sonz70

Banned
Apr 19, 2005
Originally posted by: pinkeywear
Maybe it's because people might think it's fake peanutbutter, that it's only cream that tastes like peanutbutter but isn't actually peanutbutter. Kind of like the "I-can't-believe-it's-not-butter" butter brand.

way to throw logic into an ATOT topic :|

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Is it natural and being made on whole wheat bread ground and baked by hippies in Vermont?

Fvck no, Big ole jar of Sams JIF and Wonder Bread....

Medicine Bear

Banned
Feb 28, 2005

Well, apparently you are a greasy bastard and are going to die at 45. Welcome to the club! :thumbsup:

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

Well, apparently you are a greasy bastard and are going to die at 45. Welcome to the club! :thumbsup:

I might actually try that organic pb next time around. What would ATOT be without me???

:evil:

Medicine Bear

Banned
Feb 28, 2005

I might actually try that organic pb next time around. What would ATOT be without me???

:evil:
It isn't bad at all. If you go to a health foods store they will probably have almond butter and cashew butter as well. Give those a try. Almond butter kicks ass

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah, she's pretty well brainwashed. Brown eggs come from brown chickens, and cage-free and free-range is better for the chicken, not for you. I'd eat cage-free and free-range eggs, but it blows my mind that people assume brown eggs are healthier because they're brown.

That's because white eggs are just bleached brown eggs, duh! ;)

Medicine Bear

Banned
Feb 28, 2005
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Yeah, she's pretty well brainwashed. Brown eggs come from brown chickens, and cage-free and free-range is better for the chicken, not for you. I'd eat cage-free and free-range eggs, but it blows my mind that people assume brown eggs are healthier because they're brown.

That's because white eggs are just bleached brown eggs, duh! ;)
Ohhhh noooooooo!!!!

Medicine Bear

Banned
Feb 28, 2005
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: SagaLore

Skippy?
Actually it is some all natural brand my GF bought at a health food store. 3/4 of the stuff in my house is from there. I keep telling her I don't give a crap if something is all nautral or not, but she is little miss organic. Eh, oh well.

Thank your girlfiend for adding a few more years to your life.
Hooray! I get to live in diapers for a few extra years!

Does she tell you that brown eggs and cage-free and free-range eggs are healthier than the white eggs you get at a grocery store?
Yes, yes, and yes. She really is little miss organic. Most of the time I don't care, but some of it borders on the insane. Organic toothpaste, soap, shampoo, etc. Sometimes I feel like I'm living with the Professor from Gilligan's Island.

Last Thanksgiving she wanted an organic, fresh turkey. So I say ok, we go to get it. Damn bird was $60 and didn't taste a damn bit different to me.

All that being said. Chocolate Silk rules!

Hehehe, I bought a free range turkey once and it didn't taste any different than the frozen butterball turkeys you get at the supermarket. It did cost 3 times as much though.
Only 3x as much? You got a cheap one!

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: akubi
every disclaimer on the label == one less lawsuit to think about
I understand that. I mean after all we live in an ultra wussy, uber litigious society, but damn. Peanut Butter may contain peanuts? Is that warning really necessary? If you are stupid enough to eat peanut butter and you have a peanut allergy then you probably deserve to die.

natural selection. :thumbsup:

stonecold3169

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Acanthus
Originally posted by: akubi
every disclaimer on the label == one less lawsuit to think about
I understand that. I mean after all we live in an ultra wussy, uber litigious society, but damn. Peanut Butter may contain peanuts? Is that warning really necessary? If you are stupid enough to eat peanut butter and you have a peanut allergy then you probably deserve to die.

natural selection. :thumbsup:

Now, see, the other side pops up... what do you mean my pb might NOT contain peanuts???

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
Was it smooth or crunchy? I won't eat the smooth. I only eat crunchy. Just thought you would like to know.

I grew up with and always ate SUper Chunky. My wife only likes smooth. Guess what we eat now...

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
You can get Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter from WalMart or Krogers in smooth or chunky and it's not much more than Skippy, Jif, etc. You have to stir it good when you open it and it does say to refrigerate after opening. I think it tastes better than the regular stuff.

EMPshockwave82

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
Have fun when your daughter hits puberty at 9 and gets pregnant at 12 because of the hormones in meat!

wtf is wrong with you? :confused:

actually i've heard they have linked hormones in meat and crops and hormones in the water supply have been linked to females maturing earlier, hitting puberty at an earlier age, etc

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: pinkeywear

That stuff rules!

Medicine Bear

Banned
Feb 28, 2005
Originally posted by: montanafan
You can get Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter from WalMart or Krogers in smooth or chunky and it's not much more than Skippy, Jif, etc. You have to stir it good when you open it and it does say to refrigerate after opening. I think it tastes better than the regular stuff.
GF tried that once since it was more readily available. Didn't like it as well as the stuff she gets from the health food/natural food store.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
So I'm making a PB&J sandwich for breakfast this morning. Healthy huh? Well as I'm opening the jar of peanut butter I notice on the side where the nutritional information is listed that is also says "WARNING: May Contain Peanuts" WOW!! You mean my peanut butter may contain peanuts? Who woulda thunk it? Good lord are people so f'ing stupid these days that they don't realize peanut butter is made with peanuts?

It may be a legal requirement.

some people are very allergic to peanuts, so much that it can put them in the hospital/kill them.

Its just a legal thing.