Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray exclusive

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
I'll tell you one thing...... I will "NOT" be buying a SONY based Blu player if this turns 100% Smurf sided!

:)

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Jugernot
Am I the only person who thinks online download will NEVER overtake traditional media? How do you let a friend borrow a movie if it's on your 360 on through Netflix? How do you rent movies if you're on a business trip without your 360/computer/internet? Why wait 2 days for a movie to download on slow internet to watch it when you can go rent it in 10 minutes? Why limit yourself to a computer or a internet connected appliance (I have a tv/dvd in my garage that isn't anywhere near my internet).

WHY is streaming better?

I'm not going to say NEVER. In fact I think it's quite inevitable for downloading to overtake physical media for movie watching. Available bandwidth keeps going up, while there comes a point when video bitrate increase won't give any perceivable increase in quality. That is until there is some kind of radical development in display technology that's probably far off.

But I'm not convinced it's going to happen soon. Broadband coverage is still nowhere near ubiquitous, while many broadband connections barely qualifies as broadband. A lot of areas are over-subscribed, forcing companies to implement all sorts of traffic limiting throttling policies. It looks like there's a long way to go yet before most people are able to get HD movies over the wire as quickly as they can grab a disc from the nearest retailer/video store.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: CorCentral
For over 8 million PS3's out there, you would think the Smurfs could snuff more than a 2 to 1 ratio win........ Even 3 to 1 looks bad when you have that many Blu players out there!!

Maybe you can use some common sense to realize not everyone who purchased a PS3 will connect it to a high def TV or use as a blu ray player.

that is like asking why only 350k people out of out 14M XBOX360 owners use an add-on drive to watch HD DVD's...

why are you worrying how bad BD sales ratios look when the outlook for HD DVD looks far worse...

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Genx87
What does a set top represent? The problem I have with that quote is it can be taken in many contexts. We have seen this before on both sides of the camp. They say something and a journalist mis quotes or mis understands what they are saying.

If they said Stand alone it would be more reliable. But a set top can mean a PS3 as well, which is misleading at best.

Text

Meanwhile, industry observer "Media Wonk" (aka Paul Sweeting) has also posted an interesting feature over at Content Agenda, in which a couple of points that we've been making lately here at The Bits are confirmed by Warner's Sanders. First, Blu-ray stand alone players outsold HD-DVD in December. Here's the quote:

good enough for ya???

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: torpid
Originally posted by: yllus
Don't believe so, but I could be wrong. HD-DVD pulls it off because both DVD and HD-DVD use red laser technology.

HD DVD uses a blue laser with rare exception. You can in theory author a red laser / traditional DVD in HD format, but it only stores 85 minutes at most (on a dual layer disc).

I thought there was some software suite out there already that burned HD content to regular DVDs... I seem to recall a thread on it recently.

I have burned footage from my Canon HV20 HD camcorder with Pinnacle Studio 11 in an AVCHD format (blu ray) with a blank DVD and it plays flawlessly in my PS3...there is option to create HD DVD formatted disks also...i tried one but it would not play in my 360 add on drive.

a single layer DVD holds about 35 minutes of footage...

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: spacejamz
For over 8 million PS3's out there, you would think the Smurfs could snuff more than a 2 to 1 ratio win........ Even 3 to 1 looks bad when you have that many Blu players out there!!

Maybe you can use some common sense to realize not everyone who purchased a PS3 will connect it to a high def TV or use as a blu ray player.

that is like asking why only 350k people out of out 14M XBOX360 owners use an add-on drive to watch HD DVD's...

why are you worrying how bad BD sales ratios look when the outlook for HD DVD looks far worse...

I'm just saying, for the almost 9 MILLION PS3's that have been sold, the numbers should be better for the Smurf camp. 2:1 = Crap! If even one person bought a blu movie, it would sell LIKE HELL!

Maybe someone can elaborate better than me, but that's a pretty decent argument.

Jun 27, 2005

I'm just saying, for the almost 9 MILLION PS3's that have been sold, the numbers should be better for the Smurf camp. 2:1 = Crap!

Maybe someone can elaborate better than me, but that's a pretty decent argument.

If you're counting PS3s as a BR Player then yes. But really, a PS3 is a toy. Odds are it's not going to be used as the centerpiece of a home theater. If you discount the 80% of PS3s that are NOT being used as DVD players then the numbers even out a bit and the 2:1 ratios make sense.

That said, the HD-DVD promo group has canceled their booth at CES. It's looking like HD-DVD might just be on the way out.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: pmoa
so does this mean hd dvd FTL?

I'd hold on.

You've ridden a rollercoaster right?......... It's not over yet. Just on a curve with blood from the brain.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
What does a set top represent? The problem I have with that quote is it can be taken in many contexts. We have seen this before on both sides of the camp. They say something and a journalist mis quotes or mis understands what they are saying.

If they said Stand alone it would be more reliable. But a set top can mean a PS3 as well, which is misleading at best.

Text

Meanwhile, industry observer "Media Wonk" (aka Paul Sweeting) has also posted an interesting feature over at Content Agenda, in which a couple of points that we've been making lately here at The Bits are confirmed by Warner's Sanders. First, Blu-ray stand alone players outsold HD-DVD in December. Here's the quote:

good enough for ya???

No. They are taking what the original quote from the same guy who said "set top players".

If anybody can find me actual numbers it would be great. Not some rehashed interpretation from an exec at Warner trying to justify his job and his company's decision.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Text

good enough for ya???

No. They are taking what the original quote from the same guy who said "set top players".

If anybody can find me actual numbers it would be great. Not some rehashed interpretation from an exec at Warner trying to justify his job and his company's decision.
And this matters why?

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

Text

good enough for ya???

Text

We're also hearing today that stand-alone Blu-ray Disc hardware is now outselling stand-alone HD-DVD players, on the strength of the recent price drops by Sony and Samsung, as well as the introduction of Panasonic's new BD-30 profile 1.1 player. You can expect to hear more on all this, as well as word of strong sales of Sony's PS3 in November and December, at CES on Sunday and Monday.

Let's see what numbers are made available during CES...

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Why is everyone so defensive about certain formats? It's not like one format is significantly better than the other. Why is it so important that Blu-Ray or HD-DVD "wins"?

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

Text

good enough for ya???

Text

We're also hearing today that stand-alone Blu-ray Disc hardware is now outselling stand-alone HD-DVD players, on the strength of the recent price drops by Sony and Samsung, as well as the introduction of Panasonic's new BD-30 profile 1.1 player. You can expect to hear more on all this, as well as word of strong sales of Sony's PS3 in November and December, at CES on Sunday and Monday.

Let's see what numbers are made available during CES...

today, Toshiba announced that they have 49% of the standalone market (BD has 48% and dual format players have 3%)...this data was as of 12/22/07.

Last October, Toshiba said they had 53% standalone market share.
In a two month timespan, they lost 4% market share. No volumes were given, but this should prove that BD standalones have been outselling HD DVD standalones that were priced much cheaper

As of June 2007, Toshiba had 60% marketshare of stand alone players.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Why is everyone so defensive about certain formats? It's not like one format is significantly better than the other. Why is it so important that Blu-Ray or HD-DVD "wins"?

one format = all movies released on that format alongside DVD releases... not this deal where if you only own one format, you can't enjoy all movies. That's a product of a format war: battle till death with studio exclusives, then one format is defeated and the other earns all studio support as victor.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000

Early adopters of HD-DVD may have spent a significant amount of money on a player + movies, and may be upset that they will now need to buy another player to continue to enjoy HD movies.

Since the HD-DVD players will continue to work even if the format disappears, and also considering the fact that Blu-ray does not have vastly superior PQ to HD-DVD, I don't think those who have amassed a sizable HD-DVD movie collection would have any need to rebuy their collection in BD format.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

because some people have invested some serious $$$ on the format they thought would win. You would be a little ticked if you spend $400-500 on player and bought 100-200 movies at an average of $25 a pop and found out that WB chose the other format.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Special K

Early adopters of HD-DVD may have spent a significant amount of money on a player + movies, and may be upset that they will now need to buy another player to continue to enjoy HD movies.

Since the HD-DVD players will continue to work even if the format disappears, and also considering the fact that Blu-ray does not have vastly superior PQ to HD-DVD, I don't think those who have amassed a sizable HD-DVD movie collection would have any need to rebuy their collection in BD format.

that's why, for quite a few years after one format reigns supreme.. there will be a large market for dual-format players. Stand alone BD prices will fall with the emergence of new market players, and the dual-format player scene will surge in demand. People are going to want to own a single player that can play their old HD DVD library, alongside the ability to play the new BD's they'll be buying due to the move to a single format. And if those come down in price, that's exactly what a lot of people will end up doing. Hell, they may end up buying a stand alone at first, and then grow tired with having two different optical decks.

little elvis

Sep 8, 2005
Disclaimer: I do own a PS3, however, I didn't buy it for the games or blu-ray, but to hack around with Linux on (not happy with Sony's backpedaling on Linux support, especially with the latest firmware).

Toshiba only spent 3 minutes on HD-DVD during it's CES presentation, and canceled the Q&A portion.

What's really telling, that even with the price drop on HD-DVD players, Toshiba was only able to capture ~49% of the market for standalone players, just under 1 million units (as per their CES slide). Note, Toshiba does not include PS3's in it's market share calculations.

HD-DVD may not be dead, but it is certainly on life-support.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

Right, but when I point out that PS3 is the reason Blu-Ray has more 'players' installed even if it is an unrealistic number I am told this is a lie. I'd love to see the attachment ratio per player for both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD including ALL PS3s sold. I just don't see how Blu-Ray can keep up if you include all PS3s as both players AND in terms of attach rate calculations.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Also, no 4th generation HD-DVD player announcements today.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: pmoa
so does this mean hd dvd FTL?

I'd hold on.

You've ridden a rollercoaster right?......... It's not over yet. Just on a curve with blood from the brain.

HD DVD: No Way For It To Come Back Against Blu-ray

Oh... I bet if they suddenly started selling the players for $50 and the HD-DVD's for $15 a piece that would help. Too bad it's not gonna happen, though :(

scttgrd

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
I just don't trust sony with the next gen format. I learned my lesson with apple and sony to avoid them if there is any possible way. I guess I will wait this out for awhile longer. I don't care who wins as long as sony has no part to play in it.

little elvis

Sep 8, 2005
Originally posted by: scttgrd
I just don't trust sony with the next gen format. I learned my lesson with apple and sony to avoid them if there is any possible way. I guess I will wait this out for awhile longer. I don't care who wins as long as sony has no part to play in it.

You do know that Sony doesn't control Blu-ray, right? Sony is just one member of the Blu-ray consortium, that includes, LG, Phillips, Samsung, etc. Heck, Sony doesn't even hold the majority of patents on Blu-Ray technology.