Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray exclusive

vrbaba

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2003
Announced recently on TV ...

Being a recent owner of HD-DVD Player(s), this blows. However, I am still hopeful that studios will start releasing in both formats as a compromise soon(er).

EDIT: http://www.cnbc.com/id/22507036

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I wonder how much their check was for.
Either way, the A2 does a pretty nifty job with upscaling :)

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't give two shits which format wins, I just wish one would already.

vrbaba

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: trmiv

Me neither, but after watching HD-DVDs, I just wish to watch every movie in Hi Def. I chose HD because more of my favorite titles are in HD.

Now since I have chosen that, I am rooting for it, or at least hoping they should all get along and make all movies available on either.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Sucky for me too, I just got a Toshiba HD-D3 player. Ah well, considering it was $99 and I got 7 movies with the player I don't really care. :)

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Having two HD DVD players myself, I'm all for it becoming the victor, but this just gives me a bigger push to buy a PS3 to add to Xbox360. :)

Or perhaps Microsoft will release a dual format drive for the 360? That would be best of both worlds and would keep me from buying a PS3.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Thanks, PS3!

I would have gotten a PS3 regardless of the format wars, but it would certainly be nice if I didn't have to go out and buy something else....

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
yay :)
now the damned war just needs to end so all the companies can work together to collectively lower the cost and increase sales for BD, as one unit. Multiple companies creating BD players = individual competition, no longer team competition = win for the consumer. Get all studios to start releasing movies on BD, and sales should follow suit and start approaching the popularity of DVD (approach, not rival... still aways away from even being considered 'approaching').

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Is there such a thing as a Blu-ray combo disc like there is with HD-DVD? I like the fact that I can buy a combo disc and watch it in HD in the living room, but still watch it on any other DVD player in the house as well.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Is there such a thing as a Blu-ray combo disc like there is with HD-DVD? I like the fact that I can buy a combo disc and watch it in HD in the living room, but still watch it on any other DVD player in the house as well.

Don't believe so, but I could be wrong. HD-DVD pulls it off because both DVD and HD-DVD use red laser technology.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: trmiv

Same here.

I don't care at all which it is, just as long as there is one clear winner so I don't need two players or a combo player.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: destrekor
Get all studios to start releasing movies on BD, and massive royalty checks to Sony should follow suit

Fixed! :p

I'm gonna have to really stock up on HD-DVDs when they start liquidating. Probably have to pick up an A3 when their prices go down for whenever my A2 bites it.

AmpedSilence

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
boo! (I like HDDVD better)

but, hey, for the first time in history Sony's format might actually win a "format war". That alone might be worth seeing.

vrbaba

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2003
now the damned war just needs to end so all the companies can work together to collectively lower the cost and increase sales for BD, as one unit. Multiple companies creating BD players = individual competition, no longer team competition = win for the consumer. Get all studios to start releasing movies on BD, and sales should follow suit and start approaching the popularity of DVD (approach, not rival... still aways away from even being considered 'approaching').

Having just Blu-ray will definitely NOT lower the prices. Reduced competition = increased prices. The business model is not one of Walmart's

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: vrbaba
Having just Blu-ray will definitely NOT lower the prices.
If that was true, how on earth did we get $29 DVD players? DVD had to compete against VHS, and manufacturers competed against each other, to produce cheaper players and media.

Blu-Ray still has to compete against DVD. Blu-Ray has multiple hardware manufacturers with competing players, which will drive down prices.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: yllus
Don't believe so, but I could be wrong. HD-DVD pulls it off because both DVD and HD-DVD use red laser technology.

HD DVD uses a blue laser with rare exception. You can in theory author a red laser / traditional DVD in HD format, but it only stores 85 minutes at most (on a dual layer disc).

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003

Having just Blu-ray will definitely NOT lower the prices. Reduced competition = increased prices. The business model is not one of Walmart's

I disagree. I think that once all manufactures start producing Blu-Ray, it'll increase demand for parts. More companies will increase production to make the lasers. That will cause more quantity with better price points for mass distribution lowering the overall cost to make a player. The market will become saturated with players, and it will drive the price down. More people will buy players. Disc sales will increase. More discs will be made. Market will become saturated, and prices will drop.

It makes sense to me at least. :confused:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: torpid
Originally posted by: yllus

HD DVD uses a blue laser with rare exception. You can in theory author a red laser / traditional DVD in HD format, but it only stores 85 minutes at most (on a dual layer disc).

I thought there was some software suite out there already that burned HD content to regular DVDs... I seem to recall a thread on it recently.

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Having just Blu-ray will definitely NOT lower the prices.
If that was true, how on earth did we get $29 DVD players? DVD had to compete against VHS, and manufacturers competed against each other, to produce cheaper players and media.

Blu-Ray still has to compete against DVD. Blu-Ray has multiple hardware manufacturers with competing players, which will drive down prices.

isn't the equipment to play Blu-Ray players much more expensive than HD-DVD to manufacture?