Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray exclusive

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: dainthomas
Aren't those the crippled profile 1.0 players?
Depends on your definition of crippled.

They can play any Blu-Ray movie on the market. Check.

They can play any WB title after March 2008. Check.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton

May 2008.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

and there not crippled if you don't plan on using the 'new' features. PIP? I won't touch it. Hell no. Black bars are enough of a screen real estate waster, I don't want another picture intruding on my movie. And I am not a huge extras person, unless its for a seriously epic or mindblowing movie that is just insane. I'll probably dig through the extras for The Fountain and 2001: A Space Oddity, but beyond those titles, it better have some huge draw to the extras if I am expected to watch them.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

Link

Link

JasonCoder

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Jugernot
Am I the only person who thinks online download will NEVER overtake traditional media? How do you let a friend borrow a movie if it's on your 360 on through Netflix?

What if your friend has BluRay and you have HD DVD? Then you're screwed anyways. Want to share badly? Get it on DVD and hope your bro has an old player or a BR/DVD twin player.

How do you rent movies if you're on a business trip without your 360/computer/internet?

This question is kind of weird. Haul your tv with you on business? Right, so stay somewhere that has good streaming options. Obviously if it were standard most joints would have it in your room. Just avoid the Super8.

Why wait 2 days for a movie to download on slow internet to watch it when you can go rent it in 10 minutes?

You need faster intarwebz. Netflix PC watching starts pretty quickly... like a couple of minutes I think.

Why limit yourself to a computer or a internet connected appliance (I have a tv/dvd in my garage that isn't anywhere near my internet).

You have HD hooked up out there in the garage? Sorry, don't see your point here. If you want to watch New Yankee Workshop while you build something it will always be on DVD. Physical media isn't going anywhere soon.

WHY is streaming better?

I was just suggesting it because I dislike format wars. But I do think it's the future. But I also think physical disks will be around for awhile. But maybe if it wasn't perceived as important as I think Sony and Toshiba thinks it is the format war would have never happened.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
I wonder how much their check was for.
Either way, the A2 does a pretty nifty job with upscaling :)

groan...

probably as much as Toshiba paid Paramount. Why do people keep calling foul when normal business happens?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: yllus
Is there such a thing as a Blu-ray combo disc like there is with HD-DVD? I like the fact that I can buy a combo disc and watch it in HD in the living room, but still watch it on any other DVD player in the house as well.

Don't believe so, but I could be wrong. HD-DVD pulls it off because both DVD and HD-DVD use red laser technology.

there aren't.

also, the HD DVD combo discs tend to have major compatibility problems. most "long-time" HD DVD users have avoided them like the Plague after enough bad experiences.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: vrbaba
Originally posted by: destrekor
yay :)
now the damned war just needs to end so all the companies can work together to collectively lower the cost and increase sales for BD, as one unit. Multiple companies creating BD players = individual competition, no longer team competition = win for the consumer. Get all studios to start releasing movies on BD, and sales should follow suit and start approaching the popularity of DVD (approach, not rival... still aways away from even being considered 'approaching').

Having just Blu-ray will definitely NOT lower the prices. Reduced competition = increased prices. The business model is not one of Walmart's

as was argued in AVS forums:

-what did having one format (DVD) do to prices?
-the studios price their releases, not the format.

what we will most likely see is a reduction in the recent BOGOs, but expect very cheap HD DVDs in the near future.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: zinfamous

groan...

probably as much as Toshiba paid Paramount. Why do people keep calling foul when normal business happens?

and face it, it is necessary at this stage in the format war. Warner's words were spot on: in order to have a better chance for either format to earn a serious enough market share, a single format needs to continue so there is no longer confusion.

If Warner was indeed paid off, I'm glad. Why? Because we're that much closer to an end, and hell... it would be over if Paramount wouldn't have went HD DVD exclusive. Just imagine, Universal being the only major studio exclusive to HD DVD. It could be dead before May. Oh well. Maybe some more sparks will happen and Toshiba and the DVD Forum will bow out, and the DVD Forum could maybe accept BD as the successor to DVD. Not sure if the DVD Forum will continue or not, or if the BDA will be the new 'Forum.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Am I the only person who thinks online download will NEVER overtake traditional media? How do you let a friend borrow a movie if it's on your 360 on through Netflix? How do you rent movies if you're on a business trip without your 360/computer/internet? Why wait 2 days for a movie to download on slow internet to watch it when you can go rent it in 10 minutes? Why limit yourself to a computer or a internet connected appliance (I have a tv/dvd in my garage that isn't anywhere near my internet).

WHY is streaming better?

how do you think OnDemand works?

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003

Wrong. They cannot. All of the Samsung Blu-ray players are having problems playing the latest Blu-ray discs, including their new profile 1.1 dual format player.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Am I the only person who thinks online download will NEVER overtake traditional media? How do you let a friend borrow a movie if it's on your 360 on through Netflix? How do you rent movies if you're on a business trip without your 360/computer/internet? Why wait 2 days for a movie to download on slow internet to watch it when you can go rent it in 10 minutes? Why limit yourself to a computer or a internet connected appliance (I have a tv/dvd in my garage that isn't anywhere near my internet).

WHY is streaming better?

how do you think OnDemand works?

Ok, I'll bite.... what does ondemand (yes I release you download ondemand content, much like streaming) have do with getting rid of physical media? Also, it ignores all of my points.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

groan...

and face it, it is necessary at this stage in the format war. Warner's words were spot on: in order to have a better chance for either format to earn a serious enough market share, a single format needs to continue so there is no longer confusion.

If Warner was indeed paid off, I'm glad. Why? Because we're that much closer to an end, and hell... it would be over if Paramount wouldn't have went HD DVD exclusive. Just imagine, Universal being the only major studio exclusive to HD DVD. It could be dead before May. Oh well. Maybe some more sparks will happen and Toshiba and the DVD Forum will bow out, and the DVD Forum could maybe accept BD as the successor to DVD. Not sure if the DVD Forum will continue or not, or if the BDA will be the new 'Forum.

of course they were paid off; that's my point. I don't understand why people bitch and moan when business is being done. People have been acting like children over this stupid war.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I don't think most internet providers can support a lot of customers watching streaming HD content. It's 5-10gb for an hour of content. That's, what, about 10 mbits/sec at the low end?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003

Link

Link
Nowhere do I see those articles mention the Samsung P1400, or Sony S300, which were the two players on sale.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
now the damned war just needs to end so all the companies can work together to collectively lower the cost and increase sales for BD, as one unit. Multiple companies creating BD players = individual competition, no longer team competition = win for the consumer. Get all studios to start releasing movies on BD, and sales should follow suit and start approaching the popularity of DVD (approach, not rival... still aways away from even being considered 'approaching').

Having just Blu-ray will definitely NOT lower the prices. Reduced competition = increased prices. The business model is not one of Walmart's

reduced competition? seriously? It'll be go-for-the-throat competition.
Think of it like this: all the companies manufacturing HD DVD players, well now they are going to have to start manufacturing dual-format players and/or BD players.
Now all of these companies are flooding the market with their own BD player, and guess what.. you gotta do something to stand out, to attract the customers. How do you do this? Well there is only so much room on the innovation front, so you start lowering your prices. Well soon, the top dogs who are still vying for those sales will answer and lower their prices to stay relevant.

It's virtually guaranteed a single-format market will force player prices to fall. As player prices fall, the media prices will fall too, especially if its a single market because then all companies are firing on all cylinders to make sure they have plenty of BDs to use in their factories, so shortages will likely not happen. As there is more demand for BD titles, production will increase and thereby lower overall operating and production costs, and as time goes on in general production will cheapen. This means the cost to the consumer for a single BD movie will be much cheaper.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Well this is fantastic. I've pretty much given up. Obviously people don't give a sh!t about consumer rights. This is an awful day, and should be remember as the day fair use was abolished by the studios. I love how people chant for ONE format regardless of the consequences. You think this will bring down Blu-Ray prices? You can already get Blu-Ray/HD-DVD movies for <$20, they're not going to sell them for $10 MSRP. The only thing this will do is give Sony the power control the media YOU bought even more so. If it was up to Sony, we'd still be screwing around with CDs or mini disc players instead of MP3 players. You want a complete online media storage system where all your machines can access all your HD movies from one central location in your home? Too bad, kiss that good bye. You'll need to purchase one of Sony's 300 disc Blu-Ray mechanical libraries at a ridiculous price and is slow as hell to load. Yeah, that's great progress. You want to watch Blu-Ray movies on vacation from your laptop? Well, get ready to pack up your Blu-Ray movies, because you definitely aren't watching compressed digital HD movies off your hard drive due to the DRM on Blu-Ray movies. And you definitely aren't making backup copies. So if something happens to your originals, too bad. Go buy another one. Fantastic.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

reduced competition? seriously? It'll be go-for-the-throat competition.
Think of it like this: all the companies manufacturing HD DVD players, well now they are going to have to start manufacturing dual-format players and/or BD players.
Now all of these companies are flooding the market with their own BD player, and guess what.. you gotta do something to stand out, to attract the customers. How do you do this? Well there is only so much room on the innovation front, so you start lowering your prices. Well soon, the top dogs who are still vying for those sales will answer and lower their prices to stay relevant.

It's virtually guaranteed a single-format market will force player prices to fall. As player prices fall, the media prices will fall too, especially if its a single market because then all companies are firing on all cylinders to make sure they have plenty of BDs to use in their factories, so shortages will likely not happen. As there is more demand for BD titles, production will increase and thereby lower overall operating and production costs, and as time goes on in general production will cheapen. This means the cost to the consumer for a single BD movie will be much cheaper.

not really. theres still dvd. and if the studios are greedy as they always are they'll keep bluray disc prices high as long as possible to milk the market of early adopters and to differentiate it from dvd milking that market as well for future potential double dips. as long as the media costs a lot and doesn't have price pressure on it theplayers don't have much incentive to drop prices very far.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Even if HD goes away, I doubt bluray discs will get any cheaper for many years. DVD movies are still $20-30 when they come out, and DVD is not likely to go anywhere for years. I don't think production costs are an issue at all. There is no way that the production costs of a blu-ray or HD disc are $10-20 more than a DVD.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: JackBurton
Well this is fantastic. I've pretty much given up. Obviously people don't give a sh!t about consumer rights. This is an awful day, and should be remember as the day fair use was abolished by the studios. I love how people chant for ONE format regardless of the consequences. You think this will bring down Blu-Ray prices? You can already get Blu-Ray/HD-DVD movies for <$20, they're not going to sell them for $10 MSRP. The only thing this will do is give Sony the power control the media YOU bought even more so. If it was up to Sony, we'd still be screwing around with CDs or mini disc players instead of MP3 players. You want a complete online media storage system where all your machines can access all your HD movies from one central location in your home? Too bad, kiss that good bye. You'll need to purchase one of Sony's 300 disc Blu-Ray mechanical libraries at a ridiculous price and is slow as hell to load. Yeah, that's great progress. You want to watch Blu-Ray movies on vacation from your laptop? Well, get ready to pack up your Blu-Ray movies, because you definitely aren't watching compressed digital HD movies off your hard drive due to the DRM on Blu-Ray movies. And you definitely aren't making backup copies. So if something happens to your originals, too bad. Go buy another one. Fantastic.

Blu-Ray has already been cracked.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

as was argued in AVS forums:

-what did having one format (DVD) do to prices?
-the studios price their releases, not the format.

what we will most likely see is a reduction in the recent BOGOs, but expect very cheap HD DVDs in the near future.

I remember when DVDs first came out they were $14.99 maybe $16.99 at the high end. For some crazy reason, when DVDs became more popular (VHS started to fade into the sunset), the average price jumped to $19.99 and it was common to find DVDs for $22-$25. Only NOW, have DVDs dropped in price to where you can get new releases on sale for ~$14.99. So no, one format doesn't translate to cheaper prices for the consumer. It equates to higher profits for the studios. That's all.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Queasy

It has, but to my knowledge, BD+ has not. And IF it has, I don't believe it is a silver bullet like HD-DVD. Sony still has the ability to crank up the protection on BD+.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Queasy

It has, but to my knowledge, BD+ has not. And IF it has, I don't believe it is a silver bullet like HD-DVD. Sony still has the ability to crank up the protection on BD+.

AnydvdHD BD+ cracked

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

:roll:

alright mr. anti-drm, you have heard of HDCP right? That's not Sony at all. And you do understand DRM is pretty much the wave of the future when it comes to digital video, right? Nobody likes it or wants it, but all the studios sure do.

Besides, the DRM will likely be cracked some time down the road, and regardless, you do NOT need personal backup discs for BD movies, unless you plan on basically tossing your disc into a microwave or snapping it in half. BD coating is pretty much unscratchable, pretty sure you won't be scratching any BDs any time soon.

and um... how hard is it to carry a couple BD's with you. I'm sure if your planning on watching a movie on your laptop, you are already carrying some kind of travel bag. Hmm, BD movie cases are so slim, you could fit a couple in any travel bag. Hell, you could probably toss the disc itself, no sleeve or anything, into the bag and end up with a scratch-free disc still.

AND... hating Sony is so 2007.