WAR is here! Where will everyone be?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
wow, got into skull throne 10 seconds after it opens, saw 100's of people crammed into newbie area... you had to join a party just to make it easier to complete the first few quests. the mobs have a life span of a few seconds.

i had no waiting queue for the next 12 hours of playing. (gave my wife all the episodes of 'the cleaner' to watch on her laptop). i heard people were waiting for upwards of 1 hour to get in... crazy.

level 13 right now,... but seems like there are people who had more free times than i do, with level 17s and up.

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
So what's the deal with what server I should join? A possible guild with other Anand players would make this game a lot better.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
I'm down with an AT guild, I'm definitely going to be playing the head start as order, but I'm not sure if I will shell out for the game come the 18th. (I got the target preorder thing for $.99)

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: drebo
Originally posted by: VashHT
The game will run passably.

You'll probably get performance numbers similar to what you'd get in Oblivion (they use the same engine: Gamebryo).

Warhammer uses the gamebryo engine? I never wouldve known...

DAoC does, and I have no expectation that Mythic would adopt something new.

DAoC used NetImmerse. NetImmerese later became Gamebryo. WAR uses the latest Gamebryo Engine. It doesnt look as good as Oblivion because when you have a shit ton of people and a shit ton of NPCs they cant be extremely high poly. Ive had over 100 characters(between players and NPCs) on my screen before and the game ran as smooth as silk. Thats needed in a PvP type MMOG.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Phobic9
Playing a warrior priest on Phoenix Throne (RP). I don't RP but I haven't seen anyone RP at all. *shrug*

It's not that you'll be required to speak in High English (thees and thous) or anything like that. It's more so that there's recourse against people who make stupid names like IpwnzJoo the Black Orc or something. You're more or less required to stay in line with what your character is as far as naming goes. So, naming a Marauder "Sir Psycho Sexy" wouldn't really fly.

Coincidentally, I'll be rolling a zealot on Phoenix Throne.

RP is simply stated when you sign into a RP server.

You have to have a proper name, and you cannot talk about certain things in open chat.

Basically the RP/Open RvR gets rid of all the dumbfvcks that are otherwise on the OpenRvR servers.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I got my account working yesterday, currently playing a White Lion on Bechafan. I wish some of my friends wanted to play order because I love playing White Lion and squig herder just isn't as fun for me since he's ranged. Unfortunately it seems like everyone wants to be destruction which I don't get. High Elves may look pretty lame to start but they look pretty badass in their later game armor imo. They look more grim than elves in other games imo, probably due to their homeland being ravaged or something.

I didn't notice any lag when I was playing, the only small bug I was getting was with my pet where he would actually be somewhere else other than where he was being displayed. The graphics look great for me, it seems like forcing AA with ATI cards works now so I have it set to 1920x1200 with 16xAA and it looks great. The lighting is really nice, the characters start looking better once you get a few pieces of armor. Overall I'm still enjoying the game and I'm happy with the improvements they've made since the time I started in beta.

buzzsaw13

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2004
For those of you in the beta, do you know if you have to reinstall when it's officially launched?

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
as usual the wal-mart and staples in my town still don't have stock. it probably won't show up for weeks.

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Scouzer
as usual the wal-mart and staples in my town still don't have stock. it probably won't show up for weeks.

The game isn't officially release until the 18th.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Judgement
Originally posted by: Scouzer

The game isn't officially release until the 18th.

orly? guess wal-mart and staples has pwned me.

buzzsaw13

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2004
According to the san jose mercury fry's ad, it will be available for sale on the 17th at noon.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: buzzsaw13
According to the san jose mercury fry's ad, it will be available for sale on the 17th at noon.

People that didnt pre order wont be able to play until Sept 18.

Dec 27, 2001

You'll probably get performance numbers similar to what you'd get in Oblivion (they use the same engine: Gamebryo).

Ultima Online, which mythic now runs, will also be on Gamebryo when the next expansion pack launches.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Seeing how all the online places has WAR on ready to ship status, I thought it's available at B&M too. Went to gamestop and the guy told me it won't go on sale until 17th. But the servers won't be open for everybody until the 18th. Doesn't make any sense having release date and server open on different dates.

I'm gonna see if I can pick up a copy at Target tomorrow.

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
I got a call on my cellphone today from Texas (I live in NY) and I didn't bother answering it. Turns out that the game will be in GameStop today (Wednesday), so I'll swing by there at some point and pay the rest on my pre-order.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

Ultima Online, which mythic now runs, will also be on Gamebryo when the next expansion pack launches.

They really need to work on making a new Ultima Online instead of milking the original even more.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I got my account working yesterday, currently playing a White Lion on Bechafan. I wish some of my friends wanted to play order because I love playing White Lion and squig herder just isn't as fun for me since he's ranged. Unfortunately it seems like everyone wants to be destruction which I don't get. High Elves may look pretty lame to start but they look pretty badass in their later game armor imo. They look more grim than elves in other games imo, probably due to their homeland being ravaged or something.

I didn't notice any lag when I was playing, the only small bug I was getting was with my pet where he would actually be somewhere else other than where he was being displayed. The graphics look great for me, it seems like forcing AA with ATI cards works now so I have it set to 1920x1200 with 16xAA and it looks great. The lighting is really nice, the characters start looking better once you get a few pieces of armor. Overall I'm still enjoying the game and I'm happy with the improvements they've made since the time I started in beta.

True!.... seems to be a problem everybody wants to go destruction which is an issue IMHO,I went Order even though we are outnumbered and some of our classes are weaker at the lower levels.

I hope they balance out the player base on both sides.

Even the Scenerio's in RvR have balance issues sometimes(on both sides),maybe because anybody can go in and its free for all I guess, but when you got 6 range on one side with a healer and mage and the otherside has 3 tanks, two mages,healer and shaman,DoK things get out of balance quicktime.

One time I went in everybody on my side was Shadow Warrior lol.

Few bugs sometimes too like invalid target when you target a live enemy player thats is annoying especially if they kill you later.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
none. played the beta and canceled my pre-order. while it's not bad, it's just nothing new that makes me want to keep playing.

Warhammer gets better the longer you play it,I played Open beta and was not sure back then ,however after trying out some serious exploring and doing as much as possible in head start there's enough in the game to keep my interest.

MMORPGs nowadays have a few things in common so its expected to see similar content to a point.

Yes I'm having fun in RvR etc ..

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Mem
Originally posted by: pontifex
none. played the beta and canceled my pre-order. while it's not bad, it's just nothing new that makes me want to keep playing.

Warhammer gets better the longer you play it,I played Open beta and was not sure back then ,however after trying out some serious exploring and doing as much as possible in head start there's enough in the game to keep my interest.

MMORPGs nowadays have a few things in common so its expected to see similar content to a point.

Yes I'm having fun in RvR etc ..

I've heard this as well. The more you play the more you realize there is to do. I know when I played the beta it felt pretty shallow but the more I've talked to someone who has played it a lot the more interested I get.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Mem

True!.... seems to be a problem everybody wants to go destruction which is an issue IMHO,I went Order even though we are outnumbered and some of our classes are weaker at the lower levels.

I hope they balance out the player base on both sides.

Even the Scenerio's in RvR have balance issues sometimes(on both sides),maybe because anybody can go in and its free for all I guess, but when you got 6 range on one side with a healer and mage and the otherside has 3 tanks, two mages,healer and shaman,DoK things get out of balance quicktime.

One time I went in everybody on my side was Shadow Warrior lol.

Few bugs sometimes too like invalid target when you target a live enemy player thats is annoying especially if they kill you later.

This brings up one aspect of RvR that I didn't really like about DAOC. How do they plan to control realm balance? I'm not even talking about class balance here because that can always be tweaked. However, if 75% of the players on a given server decide to go one faction and the other 25% go to another, won't the 75% pretty much always win whenever they feel like it?

tsolin01

Sep 2, 2008
It's still too early to tell how the realm balance will play out. Right now I think a lot of servers favor the destruction side but there are also servers that favor Order so it really depends on the server you choose.

The T1 scenarios are pretty fun but it would be foolish to use them as a basis for viewing the whole RvR picture, especially balance. Since you can go in at level 1 with limited abilities against level 10s with more abilities and gear, of course it's not balanced if you look at it like that. Even then if you're an organized group against a PUG, you shouldn't get owned too easily. Destruction won all the scenarios I entered last night but only maybe 1 or 2 were total blow outs, and the rest were fairly close with Order leading in the beginning of a few of them. I will say though as a Chosen, even at level 9 I was at the top of the damage charts and didn't die that often, so I'm expecting a nerf there at some point...

You can only do so much to try to balance realm population though. The reality is that people want balance but a lot of times that means population caps or maybe locking out certain classes if there's too many and that would cause more problems I think. Best thing is to just live with it and have fun, which btw it's been extremely fun so far in head start and the game has played smooth with no crashes/lag or problems graphically.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: tsolin01
. Best thing is to just live with it and have fun, which btw it's been extremely fun so far in head start and the game has played smooth with no crashes/lag or problems graphically.

I'm with ya on the idea of focusing on fun factor for now. I'm just wondering how fun it will be for those who chose a server at launch only to find out a month from now that they are hopelessly outnumbered. I hope this isn't possible in WAR which is why I'm asking the quesiton. ;)