Want to sneak booze on a cruise

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
are all of you guys really that cheap that you won't just buy a drink by the pool if you want a rum and coke?! :confused: :eek:
You are on vacation, enjoy yourself without worrying if you are going to get caught smuggling booze on board.

edit to say... usually lemonade and ice tea are complimentary too.

just trying to find a way to beat the man baby. :D

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
are all of you guys really that cheap that you won't just buy a drink by the pool if you want a rum and coke?! :confused: :eek:
You are on vacation, enjoy yourself without worrying if you are going to get caught smuggling booze on board.

edit to say... usually lemonade and ice tea are complimentary too.

I know a lot of pretty wealthy people that still bring their own on board. If you are one to just have a few drinks here and there then it's not worth it. It's the principle of the matter that alcohol on-board a ship is usually a rape.

If you place a few bottles in your luggage usually you do not have problems. If you are caught it's just disposed of.

If you are used to well drinks or beer/wine, it's pretty hard to bring it due to quantities, but liquors/spirits go a longer way.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: LolaWiz

edit to say... usually lemonade and ice tea are complimentary too.</end quote></div>

I know a lot of pretty wealthy people that still bring their own on board. If you are one to just have a few drinks here and there then it's not worth it. It's the principle of the matter that alcohol on-board a ship is usually a rape.

If you place a few bottles in your luggage usually you do not have problems. If you are caught it's just disposed of.

If you are used to well drinks or beer/wine, it's pretty hard to bring it due to quantities, but liquors/spirits go a longer way.

I guess rape needs to be defined? A bottle to drink onboard is insane to buy, I agree, but drinks by the glass are cheap. As Lola mentioned, I was paying $10 for a glass of 30 year scotch on oufr last cruise. It's not that bad when you consider that a bottle goes for almost $300 stateside. Drinks have been reasonable on the cruises we have been on. Even the liquor you can buy and drink in cabin has been cheaper than liquor stores we've been to in Hawaii. Just my observation, FWIW.

Skeeedunt

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
You can bring WINE and champagne, but no hard stuff or beer.

If this is true, a $2 wine bottle filled with quality liquor sounds like the way to go, assuming you can re-foil it convincingly.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: nerve
Oh and their magaritas are more like 10-12 bucks..

every 2 drinks i got I had to sign for like 22-26 bucks.</end quote></div>

what??? what crazy ship is that that they are so over-priced?

And, my husband and i can throw down too ;)
but our bar tab has never been that crazy and when we are on vacation (esp. on a cruise) we don't skimp. If i want Belvidere or Grey Goose vodka with every drink, i get it. If he wants 30 year scotch, thats fine.
Our bill for two of us has never been more tha 300$ for a week-long cruise.

Then, no offense, you can't throw down like the OP is looking to do. I think the perspective of this thread is folks who would split a case to pregame, or people who buy their liquor by the handle. And the liquor they're drinking doesn't have a story behind it, sometimes not even a label.

Plus, there's something more fun about pregaming with the handle of Aristocrat you managed to sneak onboard, its inexplicable :)

laurenlex

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2004
Put a 1.5 liter PLASTIC bottle in your CHECKED luggage. 50 oz for $20.

Or buy 50oz of booze on the ship. 50oz at 1.5oz per drink = 33 drinks * $7.50+ gratuity = $284.63

They won't bother confiscating it, and the room cleaner people don't give a Sh!t, as long as you tip 'em.

indamixx99

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2006
Last year, my buddies emptied out a few shampoo bottles, cleaned em out real well, and filled em with alcohol. Security never caught the bottles.

kinev

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
I could bring a huge black rubber dildo with balls, carve the inside out, fill it with booze, seal and replace the back with the previous removed balls, and then sneak the booze on in that.
Or I could do the water bottle thing. But I would have to buy the water bottles.

Very subtle way of saying that you wouldn't have to buy the...?

...I've said too much.

;)

ColdFusion718

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2000
Use a needle syringe to extract the liquid out, then use it to put booze in. Seal the tiny hole with hot glue.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I packed two large bottles of vodka in my suitcase on my Royal Caribbean cruise 9/2006.

My suitcase arrived as planned. We would fill up our drinks (water bottles or their official Coke mug) in our stateroom, and drink all over the ship as we pleased.

Do not try to smuggle it on in your carry on, or on your carry on after you visit an island.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
i've never been on a cruise before... like do they search all of your belongings AND frisk you before going onboard? in that case... whoa!!
i would definitely go for the sprite/evian/toiletry ideas though
if you're feeling lucky shove a 40 up your arse and hope they don't make you squat! ;) :lol;

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I emptied a bottle of mouthwash and used that to sneak it aboard. Booze was somewhat expensive on my cruise (princess).

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: BigJ
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: LolaWiz

edit to say... usually lemonade and ice tea are complimentary too.</end quote></div>

They could be big drinkers. I hate going out to bars sober because that means to get nice and sauced (and there's no special) it's going to cost me 15 x the price of whatever I decide to drink that night. Beers will be $3-$6; shots and mixed drinkers will be $5-$10.

Comparably, if I hang out with people beforehand and pregame, 12 pack of generic light beer = $6.

If I'm drinking $8 bourbon and cokes, that's $120 w/o tip in a night. Couple that with a few days on the cruise of drinking, we're talking about an alcohol bill the price of the cruise ticket.

Yup, friends of mine went on a cruise and spent more on the alcohol than airfare+cruise. They didn't even get hammered, just steadily drinking throughout the day.

wnangle

Mar 14, 2007
My wife and I cruise every other year. We've been on most all the various cruise lines. We always take two things. Coke and Vodka. Since they charge for soft drinks we pack a 12 pack or more of 20 oz Coke bottles, and also a 6 pack of Dasani water. We like the Dasani bottles because they are slightly colored. We use the screw driver trick to lift up the ring and fill two of the 6 bottles with Vodka. Yes, it might be a bit of extra trouble, but the drinks along with everythign else is so high on a Cruise that we don't need a $400 or $500 drink tab at the end of our cruise. When you compare this price to one bottle of good Vodka, perhaps $20, that is a big price difference. It's a shame that cruises charge for soft drinks, but they do. $2.50 per Coke with each meal can also get very expensive. Lately, the cruise lines have created a softdrink pass, where you pay something like $25, and you can have all the soft drinks you want. Not a bad deal.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: wnangle
My wife and I cruise every other year. We've been on most all the various cruise lines. We always take two things. Coke and Vodka. Since they charge for soft drinks we pack a 12 pack or more of 20 oz Coke bottles, and also a 6 pack of Dasani water. We like the Dasani bottles because they are slightly colored. We use the screw driver trick to lift up the ring and fill two of the 6 bottles with Vodka. Yes, it might be a bit of extra trouble, but the drinks along with everythign else is so high on a Cruise that we don't need a $400 or $500 drink tab at the end of our cruise. When you compare this price to one bottle of good Vodka, perhaps $20, that is a big price difference. It's a shame that cruises charge for soft drinks, but they do. $2.50 per Coke with each meal can also get very expensive. Lately, the cruise lines have created a softdrink pass, where you pay something like $25, and you can have all the soft drinks you want. Not a bad deal.

Screwdriver trick?

wnangle

Mar 14, 2007
The screwdriver trick: To pry gently the cap of a Dasani water bottle so as not to break the seperator ring, thus not giving the impression of the bottle ever having being opened, thus not to give the impression that it is actually full of Vodka. Scatter all the bottles throughout your luggage. Each bottle should amount to a savings of about $100.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: wnangle
The screwdriver trick: To pry gently the cap of a Dasani water bottle so as not to break the seperator ring, thus not giving the impression of the bottle ever having being opened, thus not to give the impression that it is actually full of Vodka. Scatter all the bottles throughout your luggage. Each bottle should amount to a savings of about $100.

Well I plan to put them in a safety bag just in case they break open or something.
How can I get it to reseal properly as not to leak after opening the bottle? I know the cap and ring may still be together, but the seal will never be as strong as it was. Perhaps a little bit of adhesive at the top or something?

wnangle

Mar 14, 2007
A friend of mine just got back from a cruise. He took special notice about how the luggage was checked. He told me that he saw a special device being used by security on sealed and unsealed water, mouthwash, and other bottles. He enquired about the device and the security guy showed it to him. It is an electronic device which can detect the type of liquid through the plastic or glass. The brand name is: Scanna, Liquid Scan, and their web site is at:

http://www.scanna-msc.com/scan...xplosives_detector.htm

With devices like this, a person must think twice about trying to smuggle booze on board.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
i was going on a cruise and my buddy gave me a little tip on what worked for him. A hydration bladder. I took the 3L hydration bladder in my backpack and filled it up all the way with tequila. It worked perfectly. After it was nearly empty, on one of our off boat excursions I brought the backpack with me, bought 2L of tequila off-boat and poured it into the hydration bladder yet again. Got back in swimmingly. After my first cruise I doubt I'll take another - they are stupid - but that hydration bladder trick should work. This was about 5 years ago.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Holy necro thread Batman!

Indeed.

Though if you like wine many cruise lines allow you to bring two bottles onboard per stateroom and are very lax about reporting which staterooms have brought their two wine bottles on board. Hypothetically you and a SO could check in separately - each bringing your two wine bottles on board. Then you could go back ashore, buy two more bottles of wine and go back through security. Hypothetically...