Wall and Border Security in exchange for Gun Control

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
A Border wall (like the original 25 billion proposed concrete) in exchange for a national gun control law similar to the New York State "SAFE ACT" would you be in favor of it??

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Nope.

I'm in favor for opening the government, then sitting down and talking (with experts of all sorts, including the border patrol themselves) about what kind of actual crisis we have. Then we can discuss the most effective solution for it, if anything other than what we have is needed.

I don't think that is too much to ask of the government. Hell we pretty much do things that way in a mid-size IT department. Identify the problem/goal, establish the scope, determine a cost, estimate time needed, do the work!

These issues are complex enough on their own, we don't need to conflate them.

Feb 4, 2009
Issues are too far apart to be connected thru a deal.
Better deal is 5B for now with a permanent DACA fix, permanent not we’ll delay deportations until next year and we’ll figure something out by then.

Reactions: pcgeek11

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Issues are too far apart to be connected thru a deal.
Better deal is 5B for now with a permanent DACA fix, permanent not we’ll delay deportations until next year and we’ll figure something out by then.

Anything less than citizenship for DACA at this point is unlikely to fly with the Dems.

Trump isn't interested in any give and take on immigration. Only take.

Idiot could have made the wall deal last year but blew that or gotten the GOP congress to give him the money (didn't even ask).

Nov 8, 2012
Anything less than citizenship for DACA at this point is unlikely to fly with the Dems.

Trump isn't interested in any give and take on immigration. Only take.

Idiot could have made the wall deal last year but blew that or gotten the GOP congress to give him the money (didn't even ask).

Hasn't that already been offered? At this point Dems are just making this a bigger issue than it needs to be considering the microscopic budget of this.

I'm fairly sure they have been lenient on offering concessions related to DACA.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Hasn't that already been offered? At this point Dems are just making this a bigger issue than it needs to be considering the microscopic budget of this.

Nope.

Trump had a DACA for wall money deal last year with Schumer but after they agreed Trump came back and demanded cuts to legal immigration and the deal collapsed.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

As another poster already pointed this was already on the table and Trump fucked it up.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Gun control is a worthy goal as is an answer on DACA. The wall is largely symbolic at this point.

Reactions: lsd

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
A Border wall (like the original 25 billion proposed concrete) in exchange for a national gun control law similar to the New York State "SAFE ACT" would you be in favor of it??
This would be a gross muddying of the waters and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory should a Democrat in Congress propose it. Gun control is a losing issue for the Dems and most of them have figured that out.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I say vote for the wall if Trump hangs himself. Save the country the money of his eventual impeachment, criminal trial, and sentencing for treason. That'll pay for a chunk of the wall itself.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
No. A wall and border security and immigration reform and e verification with teeth in exchange for amnesty and path to citizenship for illegals currently here with no criminal records. That’s a fair trade on things very relevant to one another.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Nope.

I'm in favor for opening the government, then sitting down and talking (with experts of all sorts, including the border patrol themselves) about what kind of actual crisis we have. Then we can discuss the most effective solution for it, if anything other than what we have is needed.

I don't think that is too much to ask of the government. Hell we pretty much do things that way in a mid-size IT department. Identify the problem/goal, establish the scope, determine a cost, estimate time needed, do the work!

These issues are complex enough on their own, we don't need to conflate them.

It sounds like you think this asshole is an actual leader and not a toddler.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
No. A wall and border security and immigration reform and e verification with teeth in exchange for amnesty and path to citizenship for illegals currently here with no criminal records. That’s a fair trade on things very relevant to one another.

a wall is never a fair trade. Never. You really do have to be protected against your own vain stupidity. You seriously do. The people roundly voted against this idea, in 2016 and again in 2018. It is thoroughly unpopular, and anyone that is mildly literate understands that it won't work. It is a waste.

Stop defending plain idiocy.

Reactions: Paladin3

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Nope.

Trump had a DACA for wall money deal last year with Schumer but after they agreed Trump came back and demanded cuts to legal immigration and the deal collapsed.

5 billion for the magical wall in exchange for DACA citizenship AND Safe Act. Let's see how much Donny really loves his magical wall.

1547172391642.jpeg

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Due to President Trumps behavior this really isn’t about the wall anymore.

It’s about hostage taking.

If the democrats give in now then holding the government hostage works.

Look I’m affected by this shutdown as much or more than almost anyone on this board. If the Dems gave in i go back to work and I get paid for the work I’m doing for free now, so I have a lot to gain. The reason I’m against that (besides it being a waste and against our ideals) is because I understand that the next time Trump wants anything we're furloughed again.

This isn’t a rubber stamping House any more. They are not going to give him more tax cuts for the rich, fire Muelller and make Jared the next special prosecutor, vote for Trump Primae-Noctis or whatever crazy shit Rush Limbaugh tells him to do. So he’s going to have plenty of reasons to want to fallback on what’s worked in the past. So it needs to not work.

The United States doesn’t negotiate with hostage takers. If he wants to negotiate he can do it like every other President.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I can't fathom that as a country you are contemplating spending $30 billion on a completely useless wall. At all. It's just so stupid.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Look I’m affected by this shutdown as much or more than almost anyone on this board. If the Dems gave in i go back to work and I get paid for the work I’m doing for free now, so I have a lot to gain. The reason I’m against that (besides it being a waste and against our ideals) is because I understand that the next time Trump wants anything we're furloughed again.

This isn’t a rubber stamping House any more. They are not going to give him more tax cuts for the rich, fire Muelller and make Jared the next special prosecutor, vote for Trump Primae-Noctis or whatever crazy shit Rush Limbaugh tells him to do. So he’s going to have plenty of reasons to want to fallback on what’s worked in the past. So it needs to not work.

The United States doesn’t negotiate with hostage takers. If he wants to negotiate he can do it like every other President.

Basically this.

The idea that the Democrats were going to roll over for him if he just blustered enough shows his deep political inexperience. An experienced person would have cut a realistic deal.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
*glances sideways at Brexit*

Well, could be worse.

Heh. Brexiteers would want a wall, too, if they didn't have the English channel... They could build one in Northern Ireland, I suppose...

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
For reference, I am pro-gun and anti-Donald.

I do not want any money spent on a wall. it wont work and it will be a huge waste of money. And not just 5.7 billion dollars either. When Donald see its not working he'll ask for another 2 billion to pay extra border guards, then helicopters and ground sensors and thermal cameras every 500 feet. Its a giant money pit, and since Donald is a fuckin moron and incredibly selfish as well, he'll just burn thru more & more cash until the day he leaves office.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

hell yeah dude. fuck that bitch.