=w=girl's guide to having a conversation with a girl

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Dear weezergirl,

I really like the word "hooters". I just like how it rolls off the tongue and it makes me tingly. :) Umm, do you have any advice on how I can work "hooters" into the conversation without creeping girls out?

I luvs hooters
sandorski

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Things I've learned:

Compliment her on how good she looks. Things like "You look good in that dress" or "You have a lovely smile" are good. Things like "I love the way that dress shows off your boobs" ISN'T!

Take things slow at first. In this gotta have it yesterday world of ours people tend to go too fast. Take it slow. Talking about getting married 15 minutes into your first date is going too fast. Take is slow and easy. Get to know each other. Don't expect anything either. If you don't kiss on the first date don't worry. Watch her signals and body language. As guys many of us are pretty blunt and don't see the subliminal stuff unless we are looking very hard for it.

Get her to smile. If you have a halfway decent sense of humor use it, it's always good to see your date smile.

Try to find out what she likes to talk about. For me while my wife is computer literate she doesn't exactly want to hear how great the p4 1.6a overclocks. Find some common things you're both interested in and talk.

Don't feel a need to blather nonstop. There is nothing wrong with a quiet pause to organize your thoughts.

Hmm can't think of much else at the moment.
Remember, the person you're dating doesn't know you. They are looking to get to know you and watching to see how you act. Be on your best behavior. There are things that if your date eventually becomes your wife that she might tolerate, but she will walk when she doesn't know you.

Last of all if you're serious about finding that special one for you it doesn't hurt to read and learn. What you learn may suprise you and help you not make an ass of yourself.
One of my favorites in this is Mars and Venus on a date by John Gray. This guy is the knowitall on dating in my opinion.
Remember the world needs more geeks, not jerks. So get out there and meet that nice woman, and put some more geeks in the world! :)

Edit: Oh yeah another thing. CONFIDENCE!!!!!!! Women can smell fear a mile away. "would..would you...ummm...go out..out on on a dddddate with me?" does not work unless the woman you're asking has seen something special in you before. Practice being confident. Walk up to a girl, start a bit of conversation, talk some. Lines like "I was wondering if you'd like to go out to a dinner and a movie with me Friday night?" aren't too bad. If she's not interested she will politely reject you. (If she is rude just walk away, you don't need to deal with jerks) Be careful what you take for rejection though, sometimes she is testing you or the time you've picked is bad. Something like "Well how about Saturday night then?" She will either accept or reject. If she rejects you can try things like "Hey gimme a try, I promise a night you'll remember." Be a little careful how you say this, you want her to get the feeling you're going to treat her to a really great date that she'll enjoy, not she'll remember it because you tried to get into her pants. If she seems "undecidedish" a little convincing can't hurt. If she firmly tells you no though, wish her a nice day or something similar and walk away. At the very least she'll know you're polite. On the off chance, she may think about it and later decide to take you up on your offer. She's only going to do this if you were polite. If you called her names and walked away she's never going to talk to you again.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: BD231
Originally posted by: weezergirl
Girls dont' want a guy who's too easy. :p

Pfffft, please. Come on down to Cali and I'll have you thinking twice about that statement in no time. There is an equal amount of horn dog women out there as there are men. I hate it when chicks act like guy's are the only sluts on this earth :disgust:, gives the decent ones a bad repp. Highschool was so much worse than it had to be simply because SO MANY GIRLS wanted s*x!, and this is coming from A GUY. America has got me thinking of moving to Islam simply because the ladies are not allowed to be sexually free!, although I never would move there, the THOUGHT has gone through my head more than once. What ever happend to the walks on the beach and nice dinners? a movie here and there?, a trip to some far away place for fun? NOOOOOO, it has to be about s*x, emotional trauma, break up's and sour grape's. I'll pass
rolleye.gif
, maybe one day I'll run into a ladie who could care less about s*x from the get go, no luck as of yet.

This person can't even spell the word sex out, like it's naughty word or something. Too much catholic school?

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
Originally posted by: BD231
Originally posted by: weezergirl
Girls dont' want a guy who's too easy. :p

Pfffft, please. Come on down to Cali and I'll have you thinking twice about that statement in no time. There is an equal amount of horn dog women out there as there are men. I hate it when chicks act like guy's are the only sluts on this earth :disgust:, gives the decent ones a bad repp. Highschool was so much worse than it had to be simply because SO MANY GIRLS wanted s*x!, and this is coming from A GUY. America has got me thinking of moving to Islam simply because the ladies are not allowed to be sexually free!, although I never would move there, the THOUGHT has gone through my head more than once. What ever happend to the walks on the beach and nice dinners? a movie here and there?, a trip to some far away place for fun? NOOOOOO, it has to be about s*x, emotional trauma, break up's and sour grape's. I'll pass
rolleye.gif
, maybe one day I'll run into a ladie who could care less about s*x from the get go, no luck as of yet.

This person can't even spell the word sex out, like it's naughty word or something. Too much catholic school?

I was thinking the same thing. Dude needs to lighten up. I sense some major repression here. BD231, I don't know WHERE you grew up, but I've known my fair share of girls and yes, I will agree that some enjoy sex a lot, most would kill for a guy who doesn't have his schlong waving all hither and dither. Maybe you need to take a step back and reexamine what you consider a "sex starved nympho" as you seem to consider all girls. Are you considering any girl not into "saving herself for marriage" as a slut?

Oh, and while your catholic school did a great job with sending you on your way to righteousness through celibacy, they obviously forgot basic English grammar lessons. Plural nouns generally do NOT use apostrophes.

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
I'm a lazy guy... I try to get the girl to talk as much as possible so I don't have to talk as much. Is that wrong? :D

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000
Originally posted by: KokomoGST
I'm a lazy guy... I try to get the girl to talk as much as possible so I don't have to talk as much. Is that wrong? :D

Works well if you've got a girl who's in love with the sound of her own voice.

But sometimes they like to hear you say a few things to.

I've never been on a date, but I would say, let her do more of the talking, but not all of it.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Freejack2 wrote: Things like "I love the way that dress shows off your boobs" ISN'T!

What if one exchanged the word "boobs" with "hooters" or "hoots"(thanks kevin, every word needs a good contraction :)).

eg: "I love the way that dress shows off your hooters/hoots" ISN'T!

See what I mean, it's like poetic butter! :)

SubZeroX

Oct 24, 2001
I tend to let the girl do most of the talking since I tend to have nothing much to say.

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Secretly, girls REALLY *do* like those big fart exhaust pipes on those jelly bean shaped cars. They are also especially fond of bolt on spoilers. The taller the better.

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
lol, its actually one of the turnoffs I find in women, some just talk talk and talk, they just don't shut up. They're like the energizer bunny or something. Sometimes thoughts don't go in before the words come out, hehe. I'm more of the quiet keep to myself kind of guy. Somewhat shy, but can get pretty crazy sometimes when the occasion calls for it, or I just feel like being a nut that day.

Another turn off is if she's talking about her bf or ex bf in front of me. It's alright if she's talking down on him though, that's a-ok with me :)

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Being a geek has NOTHING to do with ability to converse with memebers of opposite sex; it is merely an excuse that geeks make to explain their lack of self-esteem and confidence. Want a surefire way to impress a woman? Be confident; not arrogant and not cocky, just confident. Confidence is a 50% of your success, the other half - your listening skills.

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Few things...dont' compliment the smile or the dress...they've all heard that before. Compliment something diff...not like you have really nice nips....usually something personality related is what I do...

2 compliments max...the first time you compliment her, shes not into it fine, do it again....if shes still not into it shes a selfish broad and all you've seen is the tip of the iceberg

Oh yeah and in my experience chicks just want someone whos gonna show interest in them...you hvae no idea how many chicks I've talked to wehre tehy're like yeah..hes not that good looking but he showed interest in me and I like being w/ him...

The last thing is chicks really do like a cocky guy even thought they won't say it...this isn't really easy to explain but most chicks see a cocky guy as some guy thats all weird and is all like you know you want to kiss me...or who tries to touch her...this is usually the guy that doesn't see that the chick isn't interested and keeps pushing...
Real cocky gets girls...cocky such as pro athletes...or frat boy cocky gets chicks..if a dude isn't weird and the chick is into him..the girl won't see this as cocky...she'll see it as confident...

chicks like different...be your own person...be different

dfi

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2001
This is what I've noticed. Girls seem to like it when you taunt/tease them, smile a lot, and act interested in what they have to say. Of course, all of this takes a lot of effort.

Off the top of my head, these 3 scenarios come to mind when a guy approaches girl:

1) You find a girl who you can actually carry a conversation with. Conversation is effortless. I'm sure you won't have any problems on your date.

2) She's nodding her head and smiling a lot, but not saying much. You're trying to think of more witty things to say (and an excuse to get the hell out of there). If you like torturing yourself, then you might ask one of these girls out. And it'll probably be the most awkward date ever.

3) She looks at you with a "why the hell are you talking to me" look on her face. Ya, that's a no go.

The worst is when you're with a few other guy friends. Then it's a big competition as the guys are all trying to out-flirt each other. Of course, the girl loves it.

Eh, what do I know...?

dfi

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski
Dear weezergirl,

I really like the word "hooters". I just like how it rolls off the tongue and it makes me tingly. :) Umm, do you have any advice on how I can work "hooters" into the conversation without creeping girls out?

I luvs hooters
sandorski

i know a guy whose euphemism is "rack" and he'll say it to anyone.

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000
Originally posted by: CrazyDe1
Few things...dont' compliment the smile or the dress...they've all heard that before. Compliment something diff...not like you have really nice nips....usually something personality related is what I do...
So just becuase she's heard it before you can't say it? Hmm...how do you know what she's heard before?

Do you have to ask if she's heard a compliment before you can say it?

First of all Rat, you never let on how much you like a girl. "Oh, Debbie. Hi." Two, you always call the shots. "Kiss me. You won't regret it." Now three, act like wherever you are, that's the place to be. "Isn't this great?" Four, when ordering food, you find out what she wants, then order for the both of you. It's a classy move. "Now, the lady will have the linguini and white clam sauce, and a Coke with no ice." And five, now this is the most important, Rat. When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV. -- Mike Damone

Actually, aside from the above joke quote, it's my experience you have to really listen when a girl talks. You can't just nod your head and let it fly out the other ear. I found repeating the keyword or phrase every 5 or 6 sentences works well, but you have to do it with feeling or you will get caught.

Her: "The Rob told Beth that she ought to think about moving out...."
You: "HE TOLD BETH THAT??? What a jerk!"

Don't talk about guy stuff, because most girls don't give a crap about computers, cars, tech, etc... Even if they do they certainly don't want to talk about it during a date.

Don't brag. Don't be insecure, and don't try to overcompensate for insecurities by being a jerk. Always look her in the eye, be assertive but not pushy.

I feel that most girls like to talk a lot just because they have stuff they like to get off their chest and bouce off guys. Guys don't really like to talk about stuff like that. It's all a tradeoff. You have to at least try to talk about that kind of stuff and be sincere about it.

It's pretty easy overall, but first dates usually suck. Speaking of which, I need to get off my ass and find a date.

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000
you never let on how much you like a girl. "Oh, Debbie. Hi."
Never quite could figure out why that is. Someone care to explain why you are suppose to do this?

Two, you always call the shots. "Kiss me. You won't regret it."
Pondering...is it actually good to come off as arrogant and commanding? I suppose if the girl you are with is very submissive...

Again, to be taken with a grain of salt, since I've never dated...but I would suggest, Confidence rather than Arrogance. Being really self-concious and totally lacking in self-esteem is not attractive, and I can see where Arrogance would be preferable to that. But Confidence I think, would be better than either.

When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV.
What the hell for?

;) Sorry I'm bored :p

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Good effort Weezergirl but I am not going to read any of that...

I am presenting myself on a date, not some template... hopefully my stupid date ideology won't hurt me on my date next weekend :)

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
Again, to be taken with a grain of salt, since I've never dated...but I would suggest, Confidence rather than Arrogance. Being really self-concious and totally lacking in self-esteem is not attractive, and I can see where Arrogance would be preferable to that. But Confidence I think, would be better than either.

I think the most attractive men are humble even though they can blow anyone else out of the water. They just are secure enough to not constantly flaunt it, they realize they are not the center of the universe. People that boast and brag are usually either greatly exaggerating/lying or so full of themselves that they borderline on sociopathic.