VP watch thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Most Americans don't know Biden. He doesn't come in a nice pre-existing package to be able to easily shore up Obama's weak areas. However, someone like Wesley Clark would not require much effort.

I must assume you are fairly young.

Biden has made serious Presidential runs several times.

Many middle age and older voters know him.

Fern

Several times? He had short-lived campaigns in 1988 and 2008. Many voters do know of him, just like they know of Lieberman, Kerry, and other politicians. However, the Democrats & Obama need to appeal to Americans beyond the politically knowledgeable. Biden may be a great choice if all voters were intelligent and knowledgeable. Unfortunately, they aren't. They need to go with the marketing potential.

Poll: Many Americans Don't Know Biden

Good luck with marketing that man - generic Washington politician #2983.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
I chose Clinton. It makes the most sense. Think about it and mark my words ...... so mote it be.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
my guess is that the text spam (and lol @ anyone who signed up for the DNC spam list) will be going out early this morning. seems like a good way to dominate the news going into the weekend for the perfect lead-up to the convention.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: loki8481
as to McCain's VP... really no clue. I'm going Pawlenty or Stanford, but I'd be fine with anyone who's not coming from the religious right.

As long as it isn't Ridge, Romney, Guiliani, or Lieberman.

What's wrong with Ridge?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
There is supposed to be a joint apperance this weekend, so if it doesn't hit by tonight it should be rather early tomorrow. If I knew he'd resign as govenor I'd stop by the BHO hack, er supporter meeting next door today and cheer for kaine's selection.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Skitzer
I chose Clinton. It makes the most sense. Think about it and mark my words ...... so mote it be.

As unlikely as this seems now, it was once thought that if Obama did not have a huge lead in the polls he would have to pick her.

Everyone seems to be thinking Kaine, a choice I don't understand?

Fern

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I've never even understood the case as to why Hillary would even want the job. she'd have no power at all except whatever BO is willing to give her (and she's seen a powerless VP close-up with Gore) and she'd be making it so that she could never run for office again (whereas if she stays in the senate, campaigns vigorously for Obama, and secretly hopes that he loses, she can run an "I told you so" campaign in 2012)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
(CNN) ? The political world may not yet know who the next Democratic vice presidential candidate will be, but Barack Obama does.

The Illinois senator told USA Today Thursday he has made up his mind on who he will ask to join him on the Democratic presidential ticket.

"Yes," Obama said matter-of-factly when asked if the decision had been made.

But Obama refused to say whether the newly-minted Democratic VP had been informed yet. "I won't comment on anything else until I introduce our running mate to the world," he said. "That's all you're going to get out of me."

Obama is expected to appear at a rally with his running mate in Springfield, Illinois Saturday. It remains unclear just when the campaign will announce the VP choice via text message.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: bdude
I'm calling Tim Kaine.

I really don't understand that choice?

While Obam will be *doubling down* on "Change", he's also doubling down on inexperience and therefor risk.

I guess this Kaine is also very charasmatic? It sure can't be his great track record.

Fern

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
This is only a somewhat educated guess, but if Obama picked Kaine I think:

- the Obama campaign truly feels it is in a much stronger position than current polls indicate
- he has previously said he wants someone from outside the beltway, or something along those lines (i.e. governor, not senator)
- he apparently works very well with Kaine and they are good friends
- rather than bringing in one specific state, I would think his role might be to reassure Clinton supporters who are still uncomfortable with Obama (i.e. bring back Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania back to 2004 baseline)

If the race is truly tied, or he is behind, I would think he would be forced to pick Clinton because only she can heal the wounds she inflicted on him during the Democratic primaries. Upside in states like Ohio and Michigan (don't know about Pennsylvania) would have to be weighed against how her choice might dampen enthusiasm and turnout among the youth in November.

IMO, if Obama can 1) match the Kerry 2004 turnout numbers, and 2) make sure the youth show up to vote on November 4, what McLame does is totally irrelevant because he won't be able to overcome the overwhelming force of Obama's ground game.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Lothar
as to McCain's VP... really no clue. I'm going Pawlenty or Stanford, but I'd be fine with anyone who's not coming from the religious right.

What's wrong with Ridge?
Ridge is pro-choice.

Doesn't bother me, but it bothers a lot of other people.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

What's wrong with Ridge?
Ridge is pro-choice.

That's it? :confused:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

What's wrong with Ridge?
Ridge is pro-choice.

I think Ridge is too tainted by the Bush admin to help McCain appeal to the center, and too liberal on important issues to appeal to the right.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002

I am no Obama fan but;

The problem with Clinton is Obama needs a VP that will play the subordanent roll to him and she is too strong thus I think they would be perceived more as co-leaders and would likely bang heads a lot, she would be making a lot decisions on her own accord etc? making for a volatile presidency.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
On McCain;

I would like to see Romney, however I got to admit if he picks Lieberman it would be very interesting, I mean everyone is wanting "change" and Rep+Dem ticket is about as big a "change " in this country as it gets politically.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Socio

I am no Obama fan but;

The problem with Clinton is Obama needs a VP that will play the subordanent roll to him and she is too strong thus I think they would be perceived more as co-leaders and would likely bang heads a lot, she would be making a lot decisions on her own accord etc? making for a volatile presidency.

He needs her base ..... he isn't doing as well as expected in the polls and he knows it. He needs someone more centrist and more experienced than him in foreign policy. And her being a woman and the wife of Bubba doesn't hurt either.
I guess we'll find out today ...... he's stated that he has made his choice and tomorrow is the day the VP makes their presentation at the Capital.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Socio
On McCain;

I would like to see Romney, however I got to admit if he picks Lieberman it would be very interesting, I mean everyone is wanting "change" and Rep+Dem ticket is about as big a "change " in this country as it gets politically.

With the economy becoming the main issue, a young highly qualified economic mind of Romney would be a good choice, just not sure if Romney would want it though as if he plenty young enough to wait for his turn as the top name.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Chet Edwards name is being thrown around now for Obama.. I'd never even heard of the guy before.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Farang
Chet Edwards name is being thrown around now for Obama.. I'd never even heard of the guy before.

Clear sign that John Edwards was going to be the VP nomination before his scandal. Obama doesn't want to spend the money to reprint all the Obama-Edwards signs and other campaign paraphernalia.

I kid. I kid. ;)

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001

What's wrong with Ridge?
Ridge is pro-choice.

Ridge being pro-choice is not my issue. It's the fact that he headed up the Homeland Security Department and other baggage that he carries.