VP watch thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The glooves come off after the conventions. McCain has been laying low because quite frankly he lacks the funds to do an all out campaign since June. Sept\Oct he will burn money like there is no tomorrow.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
From a Republican POV Kaine of VA would be the best pick while Byah would be the worst.

If Obama's wins then Biden would most likely be the best choice due to his experience on foreign affairs.

Yeah, Kaine looks to have almost no experience. Some say Obama personaly favors him, but it would really highlight the inexperience thing.

I think recent events in Georgia favor Biden as the choice.

Fern

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
The glooves come off after the conventions. McCain has been laying low because quite frankly he lacks the funds to do an all out campaign since June. Sept\Oct he will burn money like there is no tomorrow.

Actually, McCain has to burn through all his private funds now. He won't be able to use them after the GOP convention. His campaign actually has alot of cash on hand. McCain and the RNC have about as much cash on hand together as Obama and the DNC.

DukeFan21

Jan 15, 2002
I'm pulling for Biden. I strongly supported his presidential bid and I truly believe that Obama has a lock on the presidency (barring an October surprise) with Biden as his #2. He would be a great attack dog, and even better, he takes away any perceived foreign policy edge that McCain has over Obama. While some people see his big mouth as a negative, I think the only way it could do harm is if he performs too well on the campaign trail and in debates and somehow overshadows Obama himself, which I doubt will happen.

All signs point to Biden though (although this may mean something different). Time's Mark Halperin has some interesting items that may point to Biden on The Page: http://thepage.time.com/

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
added an Obama poll since we'll actually find out this week and the pool seems to have narrowed on basically 3 people (B/B/K)

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Queasy
-snip-
McCain and the RNC have about as much cash on hand together as Obama and the DNC.

Yeah, I've been watching this. During the primary Obama's huge lead in fundraising was hyped. It's pretty much dropped out of sight and the mater is rarely mentioned. That alone has made me suspicious.

From what I can tell, while individually Obama is doing well, McCain and RNC have more cash on hand than Obama + the DNC.

That's a huge turnaround for the RNC. Early on there much talk about how poor their fundraising was - people were fired etc. Now, very little is said.

I suppose while there may be tepid support for McCain, Obama may driving Repubs to contribute to the RNC. Perhaps there is some strategic purpose as well? Given the FEC limits McCain must deal with perhaps many just give to the RNC?

Fern

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern
-snip-
McCain and the RNC have about as much cash on hand together as Obama and the DNC.

Yeah, I've been watching this. During the primary Obama's huge lead in fundraising was hyped. It's pretty much dropped out of sight and the mater is rarely mentioned. That alone has made me suspicious.

From what I can tell, while individually Obama is doing well, McCain and RNC have more cash on hand than Obama + the DNC.

That's a huge turnaround for the RNC. Early on there much talk about how poor their fundraising was - people were fired etc. Now, very little is said.

I suppose while there may be tepid support for McCain, Obama may driving Repubs to contribute to the RNC. Perhaps there is some strategic purpose as well? Given the FEC limits McCain must deal with perhaps many just give to the RNC?

Fern

I just think the news story has gotten a bit old. Every report I've seen has Obama continuing to crush McCain in fundraising, by 200-300%.

The RNC has had far more cash on hand than the DNC from the beginning, this is nothing new. In fact as far as I know RNC fundraising has been consistently good. What are you referring to? The RNC has about $60 million more on hand then the DNC but that will have to be spread around quite a bit, especially considering the crushing advantage of about $50 million that the DCCC has over the NRCC, and the $20 million or so advantage the DSCC has over the NRSC. In order to avert an even larger catastrophe in Congress, the RNC is going to have to help them a lot.

So in short the RNC will be able to help McCain close the fundraising gap a bit, but it has a lot of other obligations to meet. I imagine by the end Obama will have about twice the campaign cash at his disposal that McCain will.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: eskimospy
-snip-
In fact as far as I know RNC fundraising has been consistently good. What are you referring to?

From he middle of last year:

The Republican National Committee, hit by a grass-roots donors' rebellion over President Bush's immigration policy, has fired all 65 of its telephone solicitors, Ralph Z. Hallow will report Friday in The Washington Times.

Faced with an estimated 40 percent fall-off in small-donor contributions and aging phone-bank equipment that the RNC said would cost too much to update, Anne Hathaway, the committee's chief of staff, summoned the solicitations staff last week and told them they were out of work, effective immediately, the fired staffers told The Times.

Link

Fern

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
-snip-

Fern

I just think the news story has gotten a bit old. Every report I've seen has Obama continuing to crush McCain in fundraising, by 200-300%.

The RNC has had far more cash on hand than the DNC from the beginning, this is nothing new. In fact as far as I know RNC fundraising has been consistently good. What are you referring to? The RNC has about $60 million more on hand then the DNC but that will have to be spread around quite a bit, especially considering the crushing advantage of about $50 million that the DCCC has over the NRCC, and the $20 million or so advantage the DSCC has over the NRSC. In order to avert an even larger catastrophe in Congress, the RNC is going to have to help them a lot.

So in short the RNC will be able to help McCain close the fundraising gap a bit, but it has a lot of other obligations to meet. I imagine by the end Obama will have about twice the campaign cash at his disposal that McCain will.

Only problem is, that door swings both ways. Because of the DNC money troubles, Obama is going to have to help the DNC out. They've started selling seats at Invesco for $1,000 a pop and luxury suites for unions and PACs for Obama's acceptance speech. This is the same 'soft money' that Obama previously criticized.

And money donated to Obama is money that isn't donated to the DNC to help out their candidates.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
heh

As Delaware Sen. Joe Biden left his home a few minutes ago, golf clubs in tow, he was asked where he was going to be on Saturday.

Biden replied, "Here" and pointed down to his driveway.

As he pulled out of the driveway in the driver's seat of his car he then said to the press gathered near his gate, "You guys have better things to do. I'm not the guy."

Well, you wouldn't expect him to give it away would you? :laugh:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
-snip-

Fern

Only problem is, that door swings both ways. Because of the DNC money troubles, Obama is going to have to help the DNC out. They've started selling seats at Invesco for $1,000 a pop and luxury suites for unions and PACs for Obama's acceptance speech. This is the same 'soft money' that Obama previously criticized.

And money donated to Obama is money that isn't donated to the DNC to help out their candidates.

Why is money donated to Obama not money donated to the DNC? The two aren't mutually exclusive. Also, the door doesn't really swing both ways much at all. The outlays that Obama might give to the DNC would be tiny, considering the DNC doesn't really need to help the DCCC and the DSCC much at all. (as the DSCC has about 2x the money on hand as its counterpart and the DCCC is approaching about 10x the amount of cash as the NRCC)

So, what does Obama really need to do to help the DNC out? I mean other than the convention their needs are minimal. It's pretty much just a given that Obama and the Democrats in general will have a huge financial advantage.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
-snip-
In fact as far as I know RNC fundraising has been consistently good. What are you referring to?

From he middle of last year:

The Republican National Committee, hit by a grass-roots donors' rebellion over President Bush's immigration policy, has fired all 65 of its telephone solicitors, Ralph Z. Hallow will report Friday in The Washington Times.

Faced with an estimated 40 percent fall-off in small-donor contributions and aging phone-bank equipment that the RNC said would cost too much to update, Anne Hathaway, the committee's chief of staff, summoned the solicitations staff last week and told them they were out of work, effective immediately, the fired staffers told The Times.

Link

Fern

Oh, in the middle of the immigration debate more than a year ago about 6 months after a crushing electoral defeat. That's not surprising, but during the actual serious presidential campaign season they've been just fine from the beginning.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
If y'all are going to start putting down range .22 shots about snippets to use against Obama I'll break out the .50 caliber snippets about McCain, let's not do that.

Roofles Skoorb! :laugh: Although a .22 is mighty generous of you in regards to their "ordinance."

Be careful! They've got Red Ryders!!! ;)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
when polls are saying that McCain is better suited to handle the crisis in Russia/Georgia by 2:1 margins and 80% think that McCain has the right amount of experience compared to 48% for Obama, I'd be genuinely surprised if Obama picked Kaine.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
That's simply because the American Public at large don't know the real John McLame yet (his bus buddy corporate media are basically giving him a free pass to create the impression of a close race).

My impression is all of the negative campaigning by the RNC has just brought their base back to their party. Any significant damage in this race was done by the Clinton campaign (e.g. push enough Democratic voters away from Obama to give the state of Ohio to McCain), and how well they can truly heal that rift will determine how close this race eventually becomes (polls now are meaningless because margin of error is really something like 7%, and that doesn't even taken into account disingenuous polling methodology where polls are worded to skew results in a desired direction - i.e. a close race). Gotta see where polling settles out after the conventions and at least one nationally televised presidential debate.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
when polls are saying that McCain is better suited to handle the crisis in Russia/Georgia by 2:1 margins and 80% think that McCain has the right amount of experience compared to 48% for Obama, I'd be genuinely surprised if Obama picked Kaine.

Except McCain completely mishandled the Georgian crisis, both in policy and by subjugating the authority of the sitting President of the US.
And note that I use the past tense, because the situation there is already over.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: loki8481

Except McCain completely mishandled the Georgian crisis, both in policy and by subjugating the authority of the sitting President of the US.
And note that I use the past tense, because the situation there is already over.

it's not about aptitude, it's the way you're viewed ;)

considering the statistics regarding VP candidates being able to bring their own states to the president, it just seems unlikely that Obama wouldn't try to create a balanced ticket instead of doubling down on his inexperience in an attempt to increase his existing lead in VA.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Just saw this...

"On Tuesday, Biden drove a white pickup truck past a group of reporters and said only: "I'm not the guy. See you.""

Looks like maybe Bayh now? I was thinking Biden but looks like its not him. I hope its not Kaine.

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
Bayh would Pwn serious ass. He's a conservative democrat and would tend to balance out the "Obama means libruls in charge' mantra from the right..

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
looks like bayh or kaine....

obama refers to that person as a "he"
and biden denied he's the guy...

then again, kaine did said he was not interested awhile back...

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Most Americans don't know Biden. He doesn't come in a nice pre-existing package to be able to easily shore up Obama's weak areas. However, someone like Wesley Clark would not require much effort.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Most Americans don't know Biden. He doesn't come in a nice pre-existing package to be able to easily shore up Obama's weak areas. However, someone like Wesley Clark would not require much effort.

I must assume you are fairly young.

Biden has made serious Presidential runs several times.

Many middle age and older voters know him.

Fern