VP watch thread

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
looks like it's basically confirmed that Obama will announce his VP this week (wednesday-thursday?) and McCain will announce on August 29th, the day after Obama's convention speech.

any last predictions?

update: CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News are all saying that they've confirmed that it will NOT be Bayh or Biden. the expected official announcement will reportedly be via spam at 10 am saturday morning

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Kaine kaine kaine! (With only mild amusement that he has now annouced upcoming statewide budget cuts due to the current economy, only weeks after finishing his tour of the state trying to get support for tax increases. :). )

And I do like the female name being tossed into the latest short list, positively no bone being tossed for the former hillary base there.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Not really sure. I hope Pawlenty gets the nod as he is a good moderate and very charismatic. Plus being from MN it is nice to see another Minnesotan in the presidential race.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I've maintained for a while that despite not knowing about Biden, I liked how he carried himself in the Debates. He came off as humorous and intelligent and charismatic. It may be a good thing if Obama goes with him. I think he knows what he's talking about, too, and I did like what he said. Apparently he is on the short list and may get the nod.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
I'm thinking Obama will go with Bayh, but we'll see.

I still think Pawlenty or Crist are most likely for McCain. If it's Palin, well, that will be interesting.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Yep IMO Obama has it down to Biden or Bayh.

I think Biden is a stronger person and would make a better VP/Prez but Bayh could win a state that has gone red for a long time and offer a middle of the road for politics to fight off the "Obama is just another North Liberal..."

But its not as clear for McCain. Most of his picks are either too "liberal" or very religious/right wing. So on one hand he picks up a lot of middle voters but the other he keeps the base. Question is which one would he lose by not taking a VP that fits that mold?

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
I always thought Tim Kaine created a very goofy initial impression, but after I saw his interview on Charlie Rose, I've got to say I am really impressed with his command of the material. Don't know how he would affect electoral math, but he appears like he would make a very substantive vp that would work well with Obama.

As for McCain, if how he runs his campaign is a reflection of his abilities as an executive, what does it say that he is supposedly going to announce his VP on August 29, the 3 year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina?

bobcpg

Nov 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
Not really sure. I hope Pawlenty gets the nod as he is a good moderate and very charismatic. Plus being from MN it is nice to see another Minnesotan in the presidential race.

I would rather have Pawlenty as my Governor and not as my VP. Only because I will be able to feel his affects more if he is my Gov.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I thought Romney was a shoe-in (sic?) for McCain's VP? He's loved by the religious right and he has experience up to his magic underwear.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
For the record a VP has not helped flip his home state since LBJ in 1960.

It could happen this year in VA, IN or MI but those are states where the perspective candidate is already doing well.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
Clinton/Gore won Tennessee twice after it had gone for Bush in 1988.

Though considering Gore couldn't win it on his own in 2000 it probably wasn't really due to his influence.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
personally, I'm hoping for Bayh, but I'd be happy with Biden... I feel like picking someone from Hillary's camp would be pretty good for the party (though if Hillary herself were chosen, I'd be voting for McCain).

as to McCain's VP... really no clue. I'm going Pawlenty or Stanford, but I'd be fine with anyone who's not coming from the religious right.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
as to McCain's VP... really no clue. I'm going Pawlenty or Stanford, but I'd be fine with anyone who's not coming from the religious right.

As long as it isn't Ridge, Romney, Guiliani, or Lieberman.

Nov 30, 2006
I'll go out on a limb here...my crystal ball says McCain will pick Lieberman. That's my two cents for what it's worth.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
From a Republican POV Kaine of VA would be the best pick while Byah would be the worst.

If Obama's wins then Biden would most likely be the best choice due to his experience on foreign affairs.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
From a Republican POV Kaine of VA would be the best pick while Byah would be the worst.

If Obama's wins then Biden would most likely be the best choice due to his experience on foreign affairs.

It'll be funny though because Biden ran his '88 campaign on his experience saying something to the effect that you don't learn on the job.

The GOP will be able to stretch that line out for a good while.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
^ If he said that in any debates I am sure we will see it repeated in a TV ad.

We can only hope :)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
If y'all are going to start putting down range .22 shots about snippets to use against Obama I'll break out the .50 caliber snippets about McCain, let's not do that.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
If y'all are going to start putting down range .22 shots about snippets to use against Obama I'll break out the .50 caliber snippets about McCain, let's not do that.

Oh, the Dems are lining up their snippets to use against McCain just like the GOP is lining up their snippets to use against Obama. Just wait until after the conventions and both sides are going to absolutely unload on one another. They may not even wait until after the conventions.

I was merely pointing out an attack angle with Biden.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I think they wait till after the conventions. Call it etiquette. The opposition tends to lay low during the other sides conventions. One of the few gentlemanly things our parties do these days.