Voter turnout

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
So, Dems get Senate and Republicans get house.

So, 2 years of nothing will occur, right?

If that happens expect a flurry of investigations into every little aspect of the Obama Admiinstration (GWB Administration will continue to be spared their overdue bringing to justice) culiminating in, if the GOP gets it's fantasy wish, another blowjob impeachment.

Meanwhile the economy and country will continue to slide. Isn't gridlock grand?

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Gridlock is great. I don't want the federal government to do anything. They fuck up everything they touch. People who "need" the government to do something are probably lowlifes

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I voted at around 11A and there was only one retired couple in front of me and a construction worker walked in as I was leaving. Maybe more people voted earlier or will later this evening but that is a very light turnout around here.

I called my mom in New England and she said that there were a hundred people in line when she arrived at around 9A and about the same number in line when she left. This is the heaviest turnout she has ever seen in a place she has lived for close to 60 years. She said the line was almost entirely senior citizens and a couple of "kids." For her this means voters in the mid-20's.

We both live in heavily Democrat areas and places where the Republicans have had little chance to win. To me this kind of a turnout, anecdotal as it may be, means that the Dems are going to experience a massive loss today.

I am going out to buy my bottle of champagne!

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
To rehash what I posted in another thread, I voted earlier there was already about a 22% turnout for my area based on registered voters and my ballot number. Plus I asked lol.

I'm in a heavily democratic area, my wife also voted and when she went a few minutes ago turnout was around 50%

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
I voted at about 4:30 PM, in the most solidly Republican part of South Carolina. No wait, no line, much lower turnout than even 2006 (I was voter # 165). Drove by another polling place nearby, similarly empty parking lot.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I voted about 8:00 AM this morning and was number 62. All voting stations were full. I typically vote later in the day so I don't know how to interpret this. My wife voted on her way home from work and was number 538. Once again, I don't know the typical turnout here. We have two voting locations, the area is very rural and most people are on acreage. Low density with few voters.

What does this mean? Beats me.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
The early returns show so far that a number of Democrats are coming out and we are on pace to maintain the majority in the House of Representatives," Nancy Pelosi 11/2/2010.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
It took me about an hour to vote after work today. Not sure how many people were there or anything just how long it took me to get through the line(s).

This was from about 6PM - 7PM at a location in middle TN.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I saw a lot of people coming and going today. A lot more were on the roads today during lunch hours etc compared to the usual. I'm going to bet it was pretty good here in California.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i was in and out in about 20 minutes (5pm). i really didn't like my governor candidates, but i voted for house/senate and local govt positions.

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
i was the last person to vote in my district (keystone, hamilton county, indiana). we had over 50% turn out. i won two free cookies for being the last one to vote.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We voted at about 5:30 this afternoon. Talked to one of the poll workers who said turn out had been pretty good all day. No big lulls, but no big crowds either.
One odd thing, as I stuck my ballot into the machine, there came a loud peal of thunder from the cloudless sky...and the ground shook just a bit.
Boomer actually voted for a Republican today...for the first time since I started voting in 1972. I just couldn't vote for Kamala Harris as AG for the state, and none of the 3rd party candidates seemed to be viable. (I feel so dirty) :p

Feb 19, 2001
Because I was lazy and did not do research ahead of time, I did not finalize my votes til this morning and had to drop of my absentee ballot.

I walked in with 1 other lady and the polling place was empty. Then again I've never voted in person, but I've seen polling places with lines before. Maybe everyone in my neighborhood works and stuff so votes absentee. After all absentee voting is gaining traction in CA and most states.