pandarock32

Jul 5, 2017
Hi everyone
I recently bought an Asus VivoPC X. It's a good little gaming pc, but the pc design means it is not supported at the front, with a gap between it and the table, just with rubber feet at the the back. This means sometimes when I press the power button, even the slightest bit of accidental pressure from my hand makes the pc tilt forward, even just resting it to try and not move the pc, as it is very lightweight. I would use it in vertical but I don't have room (it's on a cabinet.) The first time this happened I got a shock and quickly took my hand off, meaning it sprung back to its normal position, since then I'm always careful but it still sometimes springs back slightly when the button is pressed. The rubber feet seem to absorb any impact and the PC seems fine, but I'm worried that the 'springing back' may have shocked the HDD. The pc tilted about 15 degrees forward. Do you think the HDD will be ok? It seems securely mounted, but since the pc is really new I'm thinking I may return it if the design issue may affect the HDD over time. Thank you! :)

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Ok when pc is not running, dangerous when pc is. Two fixes:
1. Find a location for that pc where movement is not such a concern.
2. Swap the hard drive for an ssd, since that's the most likely component to be damaged by the movement.

pandarock32

Jul 5, 2017
Thanks, I'll try and put it somewhere else but this is the best place in terms of space and airflow. I looked at the specs and it says it's a 'notebook class HDD'. Does that mean it's better suited to movement? Unless it's vertical or I put something underneath the gap which I'm guessing would interfere with the airflow, it tilts or moves just from the small button press. The only place I can put it vertically would be on the floor, and I have a crazy dog who would knock it over as soon as he got near it, and closed doors aren't an issue for him :)

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
A "notebook class" hard drive is a 2.5" drive, verses the 3.5" found in most drsktops. That spec, on it's own, holds no bearing on how it would suvive a drop, just as to size. Some will come with an app that can stop disk rotation as soon as it detects movement ovet x number of g's, so you might want to look for that.

pandarock32

Jul 5, 2017
I found more info and the HDD is rated for a shock tolerance of 400g when operational and 900g when on standby. The PC only tilts forward by about 2" and goes back without a large thump, so I should be good. Thanks for your help!