Question Virus

Preet98

Apr 18, 2020
Please anyone help me as soon as possible, so i was downloading something from internet, and it delivered some viruses, not it corrupted all my pc files , images, videos, setup-files, almost everything, i can't find anything to open these, like images are currupted, no way to open exe files anything , please help me eeee 😩😩😩😭😭😭😭

jameny5

Aug 7, 2018
Run RKill and Malwarebytes Anti-malware in safe mode. I've done this before and was able to remove viruses from my machine. You can go to www.cnet.com/downloads to find them. While in safe mode - choose safe mode with networking. This will let you get on the web to download those items. I also did a system restore to go back to a previous state. Those are my methods of getting rid of viruses. Hope this helps! Also an article: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/pro-tip-7-ways-to-access-safe-mode-in-windows-10/

jameny5

Aug 7, 2018
I wasn't paying attention to the date when I replied with a solution. (I caught that myself.) The solution is very invaluable in case it happens to another person's computer. We really don't know if the person solved their problem - as the person did not state so. And there are many, many people who don't know one iota about virus removal except to call Geek Squad or getting taken by an over priced computer repair shop!

Is this called Necro posting? Where a person continues or comments on an old post? Guilty!

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Please anyone help me as soon as possible, so i was downloading something from internet, and it delivered some viruses,

If it is something downloaded, rather than a browser exploit, then I would download the same thing again but NOT run it, rather submit to virus total or elsewhere to identify it and what it does.

This may need to be done on another system or make a new OS install in your current system leaving the infected drive disconnected for the time being.

not it corrupted all my pc files , images, videos, setup-files, almost everything, i can't find anything to open these, like images are currupted, no way to open exe files anything , please help me eeee 😩😩😩😭😭😭😭

If it is a type of malware that encrypts your files and holds them hostage trying to extract money from you, paying money usually will not help, the files are gone either way unless you can identify a specific tool that knows the encryption key.

However, the best way to tackle this, since you wrote "no way to open exe files", or really even if you could, is to not boot the infected OS installation at all. Hook the drive up to a different system with autorun disabled, and run NOTHING from that drive, instead use the clean system (or new OS installation on same system) to scan the drive for malware and clean it. Also look for new files by modification or creation date as those tend to be some of the malware files. It is possible the old OS installation is beyond repair or at least beyond worth the time to do so, especially if any valuable user data (pictures, docs, or whatever) was encypted and unrecoverable.

This is why you should always have a full OS partition (at a minimum) backup so you can nuke it from orbit. Determine how much you can lose based on activity over a period of time and that tells you how often to make that partition backup. It can be done automated on a schedule, even in the background while you use the system for tasks that aren't performance critical, then stored on a bootable (to restoration program) offline drive so the malware can't touch it.

There are also bootable media malware scanners so again you aren't booting the infected OS to try to clean it, but having a full, clean windows installation and the infected drive hooked up gives you more options including copying files off if you need some that aren't damaged.

Last edited: