[Videocardz] Nvidia updates GeForce GTX 780 to GHz Edition

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
Hmmm. I would almost say 780>290....780GHz=290X and then top card would be 780Ti.

The 780 GHz is probably just an overclocked 780 shipping straight from the AIB's as a new sku from Nvidia so it can compete with the 290X stock vs stock.

Last edited:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Hmmm. I would almost say 780>290....780GHz=290X and then top card would be 780Ti.

The 780 GHz is probably just an overclocked 780 shipping straight from the AIB's as a new sku from Nvidia so it can compete with the 290X stock vs stock.
read the link?

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
read the link?

I read what it said, but I have a different feeling on the matter.

I don't think Nvidia would leave the 780 priced above the 290 if it was slower. No way AMD is going to price the 290 @ $500...More like $399 like they said then AIB aftermarket versions up to $449 maybe.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I read what it said, but I have a different feeling on the matter.

I don't think Nvidia would leave the 780 priced above the 290 if it was slower.

Thats what i read into it too, but the 780 is already cheaper no?, $150 off, the Ghz edition will be the equal of 290x perhaps at same price?, Ti to be the old 780 price at $650?

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
I don't think they are releasing a "GHZ ed" SKU but rather the old A1 silicon GPUs will be replaced with B1s. So pretty much the newer GTX780s, especially the ones that come with custom coolers and PCBs will probably given priority vs reference ones (so they can dump old stock).

Must admit.. it really does make that GTX780 that much more attractive with the recent price cut.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Thats what i read into it too, but the 780 is already cheaper no?, $150 off, the Ghz edition will be the equal of 290x perhaps at same price?, Ti to be the old 780 price at $650?
780 ti was announced to be $700, that's the only thing concrete right now. NV is going to gouge for that (extra?, we don't know yet) performance, like usual.

He's talking 290, not 290x. 290x clearly beats the 780 by 10%+ already. The 290 was leaked to tie/slightly beat the 780 too.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
780 ti was announced to be $700, that's the only thing concrete right now. NV is going to gouge for that (extra?, we don't know yet) performance, like usual.

He's talking 290, not 290x. 290x clearly beats the 780 by 10%+ already. The 290 was leaked to tie/slightly beat the 780 too.

<shrugs>, top dog always carries a premium, always has done, and the Ti should surpass the Titan TBF.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
a 780 for $500 or less sounds fair.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
780 ti was announced to be $700, that's the only thing concrete right now. NV is going to gouge for that (extra?, we don't know yet) performance, like usual..
How is it gouging when people have a choice of several cards in (roughly) that tier/class? 290/290x/780/780ghz/780ti? I guess this is the thing that upsets some people, when Nvidia can command higher prices and people buy them over what the competition has. There are many, many products, CPUs, watches, Hi-Fi, smart-phones, etc, etc where seemingly equivalent or slightly better products command a premium price. People may associate quality with these products which also pushes them up the desirability scale. If a business has such products, and knows that they may be more coveted than the competitions, and is selling them in large numbers at the higher price, then it would be ridiculous for them not to do so. Would probably piss off quite a few shareholders as well who should rightfully demand a change in management.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
How is it gouging when people have a choice of several cards in (roughly) that tier/class? 290/290x/780/780ghz/780ti? I guess this is the thing that upsets some people, when Nvidia can command higher prices and people buy them over what the competition has. There are many, many products, CPUs, watches, Hi-Fi, smart-phones, etc, etc where seemingly equivalent or slightly better products command a premium price. People may associate quality with these products which also pushes them up the desirability scale. If a business has such products, and knows that they may be more coveted than the competitions, and is selling them in large numbers at the higher price, then it would be ridiculous for them not to do so. Would probably piss off quite a few shareholders as well who should rightfully demand a change in management.

Speaking of shareholders, you certainly seem to speak on their behalf in defense of the absurd pricing.

Shouldn't the 290x be $1010+ since it's actually slightly beating the titan (uber 1600p+)? They can't just keep raising prices whenever they want without consumers noticing and speaking up. It's been almost 2 years that this generation has been out, new performance should be coming without raising the prices (and titan is not the normal price bracket). :rolleyes:

The pricing gouging this generation is absurd, that you (and a few loyal green fans) find it necessary to defend raising the prices is striking.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Speaking of shareholders, you certainly seem to speak on their behalf in defense of the absurd pricing.
How is it absurd if they sell by the shit-load anyway? And when there is great demand for it? Do I speak on their behalf any more than you speak for AMD's PR dept? :rolleyes:

Shouldn't the 290x be $1010+ since it's actually slightly beating the titan (uber 1600p+)? They can't just keep raising prices whenever they want without consumers noticing and speaking up.
If AMD could do that, they would and SHOULD. But I doubt they think they can. Again, if they could, they WOULD. And if I was an AMD shareholder I would smack their CEOs face with a dead fish if they could but didnt.

It's been almost 2 years that this generation has been out, new performance should be coming without raising the prices (and titan is not the normal price bracket). :rolleyes:

The pricing gouging this generation is absurd, that you (and a few loyal green fans) find it necessary to defend raising the prices is striking.
I would never have bought a Titan because I always thought it was poor value for money - no let me clarify that, VERY poor value for money. But if you think that all products should be subject to the same value for money scale, regardless of price, and regardless of those who can afford them, then in your world there would be no Ferraris, Rolexes, Riva speedboats, B&W speakers, etc. I would probably have to put on my Mao hat for you. :p

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004

Shouldn't the 290x be $1010+ since it's actually slightly beating the titan (uber 1600p+)? They can't just keep raising prices whenever they want without consumers noticing and speaking up. It's been almost 2 years that this generation has been out, new performance should be coming without raising the prices (and titan is not the normal price bracket). :rolleyes:

Not sure if serious?...The Hawaii chip is awesome, but the design and build quality aren't even close...Why are you even comparing it to the Titan?
Appears amenx is right on the money!.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Hmm strange,aibs are offering this already and a few are close to it.g card overload:p.just checked not quite as fast but whats the point?.

Last edited:

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
nVidia is not updating the GTX780. Custom cards use the B1 version of GK110 since one month or so. That's the reason why so many cards are out with a base clock of 1000MHz+.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
How is it absurd if they sell by the shit-load anyway? And when there is great demand for it? Do I speak on their behalf any more than you speak for AMD's PR dept? :rolleyes:

If AMD could do that, they would and SHOULD. But I doubt they think they can. Again, if they could, they WOULD. And if I was an AMD shareholder I would smack their CEOs face with a dead fish if they could but didnt.

I would never have bought a Titan because I always thought it was poor value for money - no let me clarify that, VERY poor value for money. But if you think that all products should be subject to the same value for money scale, regardless of price, and regardless of those who can afford them, then in your world there would be no Ferraris, Rolexes, Riva speedboats, B&W speakers, etc. I would probably have to put on my Mao hat for you. :p

So you speak from the shareholders point of view, are you one or do you have other ties to NV?

I have nothing to do with AMD - no ties whatsoever, I just speak from the consumer point of view. Nothing you say lines up with the buyers point of view, it's all from the point of view of someone who benefits from higher prices (not the consumer).

If the high end card has been $550ish for the past few generations, how is it beneficial to anyone except the company/employees/shareholders etc. to raise the prices to $650, $700, $1000?

If you are an NV shareholder/ties I don't care, it just explains your rationale when trying to pretend higher prices is good. Strawman if AMD this, they would do that... doesn't matter nor justify it either.

It's actually absurd some posters pretend to be "enthusiasts", yet they claim raising prices is somehow justified and good. There is no way that is true unless you have ties to the company.

Not sure if serious?...The Hawaii chip is awesome, but the design and build quality aren't even close...Why are you even comparing it to the Titan?
Appears amenx is right on the money!.

Not sure if you're serious.

The 290x gives the titan a run for it's money and ties/slightly beats it at 1600p.

Going higher resolution gives it a substantial win. Why would they not be looked at with equal standards? Sure the reference cooler sucks, and we'll see the effect of aftermarket cards soon. Why the double standard (rhetorical question which I know will be avoided), supposedly the fastest commands ever higher premiums? Perhaps the cooler can knock $50 off the value? It's still equal to or beating the titan. I know it's hard to look at both companies objectively, however if you are claiming price premiums are good, keep it objective and not only "good" if they are team green.

There is no way it's beneficial to the consumer so I'm not going to argue and watch the deflections. Unless you have something worthy of discussing I'm going to try avoid pointless back and forth since you clearly don't have the consumer in mind (which I am). Feel free to objectively discuss it and correct me if I'm indeed wrong.

Last edited:

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Is there any other website that can verify this? Are all 780's going to be updated to ghz or are we going to be looking at 3 different 780 skus?

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
So you speak from the shareholders point of view, are you one or do you have other ties to NV?
Nope, dont have ties with Nvidia. But do have an affinity for common sense which recognizes some products are beyond the price/value scale, especially 'luxury' or premium grade products that cannot fit into that but where you insist they must on your own very narrow terms.

I have nothing to do with AMD - no ties whatsoever, I just speak from the consumer point of view. Nothing you say lines up with the buyers point of view, it's all from the point of view of someone who benefits from higher prices (not the consumer).
What consumer POV is that? Doesnt seem to include those who can afford higher priced products while knowing of cheaper alternatives but buy them anyway due to preference and a need to have what they perceive is 'the best' money can buy.

If you are an NV shareholder/ties I don't care, it just explains your rationale when trying to pretend higher prices is good. Strawman if AMD this, they would do that... doesn't matter nor justify it either.
You have a penchant for call outs which seems oblivious to your own position (denied or not) with that of an AMD PR rep. So mind the pot-kettle-black approach because it makes you look silly.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Nope, dont have ties with Nvidia. But do have an affinity for common sense which recognizes some products are beyond the price/value scale, especially 'luxury' or premium grade products that cannot fit into that but where you insist they must on your own very narrow terms.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. On the other point I can recognize premium branding etc. I apologize for implying that you are.

What consumer POV is that? Doesnt seem to include those who can afford higher priced products while knowing of cheaper alternatives but buy them anyway due to preference and a need to have what they perceive is 'the best' money can buy.

It isn't about can you "afford" something, it's if suddenly the price is jacked up 100% for literally no reason whatsoever. A lot of us can afford to drop $1k on something, however when the price was $550 for consecutive years and releases, raising it to $1k doesn't mean there is any reason to take the increase.

You have a penchant for call outs which seems oblivious to your own position (denied or not) with that of an AMD PR rep. So mind the pot-kettle-black approach because it makes you look silly.

What did/do I say that lines up with AMD (PR or otherwise, again I have no ties to AMD)? I'd also like to know where I am switching goalposts since I try not to (Claiming titan is worth $1k but 290x which ties/beats it, is not worth it, is switching a goalpost as an example). I try to be consistent between the brands, I just find NV's gouging annoying.

It feels like the forums are, no actually they are, crawling with a ton of posters who switch goalposts every generation and it makes me question their motives (not aimed at you). Perhaps I just take the bait.

Last edited:

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
Is there any other website that can verify this? Are all 780's going to be updated to ghz or are we going to be looking at 3 different 780 skus?

There is no "GHz" edition. AIBs are using the new revision for their custom cards. And they're doing it since one or two months.

Slomo4shO

Nov 17, 2008
$100 premium for a "GHz" edition when there are already factory overclocked models with the same or higher clocks for $30-50 more than the reference 780 price of $499... Unfortunately, there will be morons that still buy this card.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
The source states that this will not be a new SKU, as in, AIB makers can add "GHZ" to their card title but it's not a new SKU that nvidia offers on a reference level. I think it's INNO3D only, I mean, most aftermarket 780s are already boosting well past 1000. It would be pointless. Unless the card is catering to morons who aren't aware of existing aftermarket 780s as the above poster mentioned....

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
This is a pile. There are different revisions of GK110 already used in current GTX 780s. One of my cards has one, you can tell because your BIOS will indicate 'B'.

An interesting note: The new revision overclocks worse than the old one does for me. It may be that it can run a reasonable clock at a lower voltage though, IDK, but it was disappointing compared to the card it replaced.

Last edited:

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I wonder if this new stepping will really allow for higher overclocks and lower power consumption? If it even is a new stepping...