[VC] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Specifications Leaked, Faster than RX 480

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
The only exception that is rational and not based on fanboyism or childish emotional attachments to a hardware company is if your PSU couldn't supply the power difference between 960 and 290, and you were ok losing 50% performance for not changing PSUs.

Yep this was the #1 rational argument for buying a GTX 960. But there was another argument. There are several versions of the 960 that are literally whisper quiet under full load. That is a major selling point for me at least. The reference 480 is not a quiet card. The custom versions are not likely to be fully quiet either because it becomes relatively costly to make a >150W card be super quiet.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Yep this was the #1 rational argument for buying a GTX 960. But there was another argument. There are several versions of the 960 that are literally whisper quiet under full load. That is a major selling point for me at least. The reference 480 is not a quiet card. The custom versions are not likely to be fully quiet either because it becomes relatively costly to make a >150W card be super quiet.

By the time the 960 came out there were very quiet 290s, namely the XFX DD and the Sapphire Tri X, so at the time that argument was just another smokescreen to hide the real reason which was emotional investment. Or stockholder investment. Hard to be sure.

Today, I agree that neither reference cooler is good. I'd avoid both and wait for the AIB v AIB matchup

Reactions: Grazick

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Your way, or the highway. Got it. Standing 100% by your statement doesn't mean much when you talk in absolutes.

Focusing on the method of arguing and not the argument's content. The last resort when there is no counter argument to be had.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Focusing on the method of arguing and not the argument's content. The last resort when there is no counter argument to be had.

Again, another absolute statement.

Dude, you were just instantly shown by another member a reason why somebody would choose a 960. That,was within minutes of your black and white post. There is no content to argue. Your "content " is close minded and absolutely one sided. Content does not apply.

Last edited:

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008

Dude, you were just instantly shown by another member a reason why somebody would choose a 960. That,was within minutes of your black and white post. There is no content to argue. Your "content " is close minded and absolutely one sided. Content does not apply.

You do realize I said that first... right? Lol. This is hilarious. My content is correct. You have no content. You keep complaining about how I post, not what I post.

You haven't mentioned your own opinion on the 960, 290, 480 or 1060.

Let me know when you come up with a point that relates to the topic.

Last edited:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
You mean 1060 specs leaked, faster than 480? That topic? Or GTX 960 recommendations topic?
LOL.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
By the time the 960 came out there were very quiet 290s, namely the XFX DD and the Sapphire Tri X, so at the time that argument was just another smokescreen to hide the real reason which was emotional investment. Or stockholder investment. Hard to be sure.

Those were not quiet cards. They were quieter. But not quiet. 38 dB is quiet.

60576.png

And besides, was the Sapphire Tri X 290 just $50 more expensive than a 960?

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
I'm a 6800GT buyer, not 6800 Ultra. Im a Ti 4400 buyer, not a Ti 4600. I'm a GTX 970 buyer, not a 980 buyer.

Yet your sig shows a Titan X, the worst price for performance card available.

perfdollar_3840_2160.png

perfdollar_2560_1440.png

People buying budget cards care about price for performance. That is the biggest selling point to them.

They won't be running gameworks features, because those features are so unoptimized that they will destroy their framerates. Not to mention most gameworks features have been optimized by AMD and run just as well on their cards as comparable Nvidia ones. Only exclusives like Flex, but it destroys FPS even on 980 TIs and such so there is no chance that a weak mainstream card can run those effects.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

perfdollar_3840_2160.png

perfdollar_2560_1440.png

People buying budget cards care about price for performance. That is the biggest selling point to them.

They won't be running gameworks features, because those features are so unoptimized that they will destroy their framerates. Not to mention most gameworks features have been optimized by AMD and run just as well on their cards as comparable Nvidia ones. Only exclusives like Flex, but it destroys FPS even on 980 TIs and such so there is no chance that a weak mainstream card can run those effects.

What does that have to do with gpus I purchase?

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
This is getting confusing.
Nvidia focus group members get free hardware in exchange for promoting NV online iirc so the Titan X probably wasn't a budget concern.
You are ill-informed.
What does that have to do with gpus I purchase?
What is the last GPU you purchased? Also can you shed some light on the 1060 not having any option for SLI is this true?

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009

60576.png

Your graph is showing overclock noise. The tri-x is basically one of the best gpu coolers on the market. It can't be heard at full load on my 290 oc card.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
looking back all the x60 cards since the 6600GT had a SLI connector right?

it would be really strange to remove it now,

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004

You do realize I said that first... right? Lol. This is hilarious. My content is correct. You have no content. You keep complaining about how I post, not what I post.

You haven't mentioned your own opinion on the 960, 290, 480 or 1060.

Let me know when you come up with a point that relates to the topic.

You guys better stop arguing or you will both be gone for 30 days. I am not kidding either.

-Rvenger

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Well, there are 1060 pics posted at various sites, and the card does not have an SLI connector.

Now, it could be a 3gb model, and maybe that one doesn't have the connector because 3gb of VRAM won't go well with SLI?

However, the pic seems to be labeled as a regular 1060 with 6gb of ram.

So, who knows?

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Well, there are 1060 pics posted at various sites, and the card does not have an SLI connector.

Now, it could be a 3gb model, and maybe that one doesn't have the connector because 3gb of VRAM won't go well with SLI?

So, who knows?

maybe it's just to fast in SLI and to cheap? :eek:
they are protecting the 1080! :eek:

or maybe they save some money and know that almost no one uses SLI with the x60 cards?

or... bridgeless sli?

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013

So, who knows?

You are talking about the 1060 pics where there is no 6 pin visible or the ones where the 6 pin is outside the pcb área?

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
A 1060 with two different pcbs, one with a SLI connector, and one without, does not seem very likely.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Has anyone found a picture of the front side of the pcb with the cooling solution removed? I would like to see how the wires from the 6-pin are soldered to the board. Since you cant see anything resembling a 6 pin through-hole header from the back, I assume its a surface mount attachment.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008

60576.png

There was a time in early 2015 when both the Tri X and XFX DD went on sale for $250 when the 960 4GB was still $200, and people still recommended 960's, which I do agree is difficult to believe. But I remember it happening which was ridiculous.

Have you used the Tri-X before? The only way to describe it is quiet. 41db under load was one of the quietest cards you could buy at that time. It hardly makes any noise at all in a case at normal distances away from the user. You'd only be able to notice it if you have very low noise case fans and sit close to it. I've used a few of them and they were fantastic cards. 41db noise floor is pretty difficult to actually achieve in a real gaming rig. 41dba according to common equivalencies out there = quiet office, light rainfall level noises. I'm not sure how far away Anandtech measured that 41db. If its at one inch or other close measurement, you'd hear even less as it has to travel to your ears in a normal seated position. I believe they measure at one foot away though which is closer to the real perceived level. I imagine most users are sitting ~3 ft from their cases (case on floor next to desk, person seated in chair)

I hope we don't see another situation where the inferior price/perf card is recommended on incredibly flimsy grounds to smoke screen for brand loyalty with the 1060 like we did with the 960/290. If the rumors are true, and the 1060 is faster but more expensive then it won't be the same situation as the 960/290.

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
Last edited: