Vatican defends pope condoms stand, criticism mounts

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: lupi
If you don't like the label then don't do the actions; of which the op is one of the worst.

Besides, I'm only going by the merriam webster definition,

There is a rational discussion going on here about the Catholic Church's position on AIDs and the crisis in Africa. If you'd like to actually participate, that's great, but otherwise stop trying to foment anti-religious posts.

Thanks.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: ZeGermans
The pope is as evil as the organization he represents

so, not evil at all?

yeah the church ain't evil! its OK to mollest little boys. its OK to hide the priest aht did it. its OK to claim bankruptcy to get out of paying for damages from it. Its OK to move a known pries to a diffrent church so he can start over again..then continue to do that for years...

no the curch is nto Evil at all...

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: waggy

so, not evil at all?

yeah the church ain't evil! its OK to mollest little boys. its OK to hide the priest aht did it. its OK to claim bankruptcy to get out of paying for damages from it. Its OK to move a known pries to a diffrent church so he can start over again..then continue to do that for years...

the bureaucracy of the church and some of its obtuse dogmas such as these is what's bringing it down. the catholic church does alot of great charity work around the world as well.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: evident

so, not evil at all?

the bureaucracy of the church and some of its obtuse dogmas such as these is what's bringing it down. the catholic church does alot of great charity work around the world as well.

it does not change the fact that the church itself is Evil. I am not saying that EVERY church is. i think the smaller church's do a lot of good.

its when they start getting power they get currupt. Religion is great (for some) but the church itself is bad.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

so, not evil at all?

it does not change the fact that the church itself is Evil. I am not saying that EVERY church is. i think the smaller church's do a lot of good.

its when they start getting power they get currupt. Religion is great (for some) but the church itself is bad.

i strongly disagree with your statement that the church is evil. the church is human just like any other churches. the catholic church is a lightning rod because it's huge. im sure you can find many other demoninations that had sex abuse incidents as well. the church on earth is human and will never be perfect, but it's far from evil

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

so, not evil at all?

i strongly disagree with your statement that the church is evil. the church is human just like any other churches. the catholic church is a lightning rod because it's huge. im sure you can find many other demoninations that had sex abuse incidents as well. the church on earth is human and will never be perfect, but it's far from evil

please find me one other that has had the number of molestations as it has. And has moved the pedophiles to diffrent places to do it again. then tried to cover it up and blame the victim. OR hell even one that claim bankruptcy to keep from paying

just one will do.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

please find me one other that has had the number of molestations as it has. And has moved the pedophiles to diffrent places to do it again. then tried to cover it up and blame the victim. OR hell even one that claim bankruptcy to keep from paying

just one will do.

Is NAMBLA a religion now?

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Nevermind... It turns out I was wrong and the pile-on started right on queue. So much for an actual discussion of this position by the church...

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: MovingTarget
Nevermind... It turns out I was wrong and the pile-on started right on queue. So much for an actual discussion of this position by the church...

Having the leader of your organization affirmatively state against all statistical and anecdotal evidence that distributing and teaching contraception including condom use increases the spread of aids isn't a "position". It's a factually incorrect statement motivated by dogma and is likely to cause far more harm that condom usage will, should anyone have the poor sense to take the pope's word as, um, gospel.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: jonks

Having the leader of your organization affirmatively state against all statistical and anecdotal evidence that distributing and teaching contraception including condom use increases the spread of aids isn't a "position". It's a factually incorrect statement motivated by dogma and is likely to cause far more harm that condom usage will, should anyone have the poor sense to take the pope's word as, um, gospel.

See my earlier post.... I disagree with the Vatican here, as most Americans correctly would. The 'pile-on' I was referring to was the usual 'OMGCATHOLICISMTEHEVIL!' remarks and smears for the sex scandal. It shuts down any real debate about religion, specifically Catholicism. Seriously, there should be an equivalent of Godwin's law when discussing the CC.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: BeauJangles
Originally posted by: Siddhartha
Originally posted by: ericlp
http://www.reuters.com/article...s/idUSLI43220920090318

One reason why religion needs to be kept out of politics!

Thank GOD bush is out of office or he would have backed this up 100%!

How stupid can you be?

Benedict, arriving in Africa, said on Tuesday that condoms "increase the problem" of AIDS. The comment, made to reporters aboard his plane, caused a worldwide firestorm of criticism.

There is a large body of published evidence demonstrating that condom use reduces the risk of acquiring HIV infection and other STD's.

Duh!

The previous pope, John Paul II said that procreation was the only acceptable purpose for sexual intercourse. So with that in mind, maybe one could work out that the only reason you would have condoms is to have sex and HIV is a STD. If you did not have condoms you would have less sex which means less HIV.

Nope. People have sex regardless of the presence of condoms. How the hell do you think HIV became such a big problem in Africa? I'll give you a hint -- it isn't because there were mountains of condoms lying around.

The fact that I am here proves that people have sex. I was trying to understand the Pope's thought processes on this issue. I do not agree with him.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

See my earlier post.... I disagree with the Vatican here, as most Americans correctly would. The 'pile-on' I was referring to was the usual 'OMGCATHOLICISMTEHEVIL!' remarks and smears for the sex scandal. It shuts down any real debate about religion, specifically Catholicism. Seriously, there should be an equivalent of Godwin's law when discussing the CC.

yeah, any thread that has the word catholic in it devolves into a flamefest pretty much.

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
Why is the pope's stance on condoms relevant to Africa? I'd really like to know what percentage of people at risk for HIV in Africa are Catholic.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Cheesetogo
Why is the pope's stance on condoms relevant to Africa? I'd really like to know what percentage of people at risk for HIV in Africa are Catholic.

Well just look at South America. Catholics are good at indoctri...err...."Spreading the word"

Dec 10, 2005

Irrelevant. The important part is all the charity work that the Church does in places like Africa. If the Church is against condoms, you won't see Catholic charities giving out condoms or educating people on the use of them.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Brainonska511

Irrelevant. The important part is all the charity work that the Church does in places like Africa. If the Church is against condoms, you won't see Catholic charities giving out condoms or educating people on the use of them.

Im pretty sure that has always been the case. The catholic church is against any form of birth control.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Originally posted by: Brainonska511

Im pretty sure that has always been the case. The catholic church is against any form of birth control.

I think it's idiotic (since it clashes with the ideals of reducing suffering, disease, and poverty), but it happens to go along with their stance that sex is only for procreation.

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
Originally posted by: ericlp
There is a large body of published evidence demonstrating that condom use reduces the risk of acquiring HIV infection and other STD's.

Peddle your lies elsewhere. Definitive scientific proof condoms don't work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaZBSZ0xbfk

I wish I could say I was surprised by that, but religious people in general have lowered the bar so much that I expect nothing less than completely and utterly devastating stupidity to come from the mouths and keyboards of believers in god.

Just so you know, this video is satire lol...