Vatican defends pope condoms stand, criticism mounts

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
http://www.reuters.com/article...s/idUSLI43220920090318

One reason why religion needs to be kept out of politics!

Thank GOD bush is out of office or he would have backed this up 100%!

How stupid can you be?

Benedict, arriving in Africa, said on Tuesday that condoms "increase the problem" of AIDS. The comment, made to reporters aboard his plane, caused a worldwide firestorm of criticism.

There is a large body of published evidence demonstrating that condom use reduces the risk of acquiring HIV infection and other STD's.

Duh!

SneakyStuff

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2004
Text

edit: Shouldn't be a suprise really, the current Pope isn't going to change a damn thing. I just hope the next Pope is "liberal" if there can be such a thing.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: SneakyStuff
Text

well, now it's not the pope it's the Vatican ... We already knew the pope was nuts.... Now the Vatican????

Where does it end?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
the church believes that sex should be reserved for the procreation of children within a marriage, thus, condoms are antithetical to that... but if you're a member of the church and actually following its rules, you wouldn't need condoms with a clean partner because you'd only ever be having sex to make babies.

I guess his argument is going to be that condoms provide a false illusion of 100% safety and encourage promiscuous behavior.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: ericlp
well, now it's not the pope it's the Vatican ... We already knew the pope was nuts.... Now the Vatican????

there's really no difference between the two and this is in line with catholic teachings for as long as like condoms have existed.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Wait, so in school I was told that condoms protect me from AIDS, but now Mr. Pointy-hat is telling me they cause AIDS?

:Q

SneakyStuff

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Wait, so in school I was told that condoms protect me from AIDS, but now Mr. Pointy-hat is telling me they cause AIDS?

You want your 10 kids or not?!

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: SneakyStuff

You want your 10 kids or not?!

I'll stick with my 10 kids, you keep your freakin AIDS condoms!

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Perhaps the pope should go to China and see how their campaign against HIV is working out.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Having 10 kids is a drain on society... I say wear your condom and you won't have kids or aids.

Edit...

Or any other STD for that matter.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
"My reaction is that this represents a major step backwards in terms of global health education, is entirely counter-productive, and is likely to lead to increases in HIV infection in Africa and elsewhere," said Prof Quentin Sattentau, Professor of Immunology at Britain's Oxford University.

"There is a large body of published evidence demonstrating that condom use reduces the risk of acquiring HIV infection, but does not lead to increased sexual activity," he said.

PFFT, science is just fairy tales, vote republican and donate more money to the church!

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Kevin De Cock, director of the World Health Organization's HIV/AIDS department, said there is no scientific evidence showing that condom use spurs people to take more sexual risks.

:D

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Phokus
"My reaction is that this represents a major step backwards in terms of global health education, is entirely counter-productive, and is likely to lead to increases in HIV infection in Africa and elsewhere," said Prof Quentin Sattentau, Professor of Immunology at Britain's Oxford University.

"There is a large body of published evidence demonstrating that condom use reduces the risk of acquiring HIV infection, but does not lead to increased sexual activity," he said.

PFFT, science is just fairy tales, vote republican and donate more money to the church!

Sorry to break it to you, but (D) does not mean athiest. Simply taking the % of Americans that are religious shows that there is no way this is absorbed by the Republican party.

Yes, the fundies are more likely to be Republican, but you dont need to be a fundie to donate money to the Church and believe in God.

Sadly, your normal everyday religious folk support the fundies through donation.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

Sorry to break it to you, but (D) does not mean athiest. Simply taking the % of Americans that are religious shows that there is no way this is absorbed by the Republican party.

Yes, the fundies are more likely to be Republican, but you dont need to be a fundie to donate money to the Church and believe in God.

Sadly, your normal everyday religious folk support the fundies through donation.

Believing in God also doesn't necessarily mean that you're a fundy or that you even go to church. There are lots of religious folk who go to more liberal (read: sane) and tolerant churches (or who don't go to church at all). Fundies are obviously more likely to vote Republican than not.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

Believing in God also doesn't necessarily mean that you're a fundy or that you even go to church. There are lots of religious folk who go to more liberal (read: sane) and tolerant churches (or who don't go to church at all). Fundies are obviously more likely to vote Republican than not.

Well part of the (D) base are Mexicans and South Americans. They are about as Catholic as you can possibly get.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

Well part of the (D) base are Mexicans and South Americans. They are about as Catholic as you can possibly get.

Maybe the crazy latin catholics vote (R) (i'd bet abortion would be the dividing line)

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
This must be the weekly anti catholic post.

The Pope is partially right. If people think Condoms = No AIDS in a population that is like 33% AIDS plagued. What do you think is going to happen? We are talking about Africa here, the birth place and highest infection rate of AIDS. The only thing that can help these people is complete abstainence with those who have AIDS. If you go there and say "Condoms = No AIDS"... That will increase sexual relations with those that don't have AIDS and those with AIDS... Granted Condoms help in those cases but that is not the answer to the problem, just a bandaid.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Can someone explain to me why contraception is considered a sin to these folks? I assume it is because sex is intended only for procreation, so does that mean "pulling out" is also a sin? Or that having sex while the woman is pregnant/ not fertile is a sin? Sorry, but this stuff just seems completely ridiculous.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: brandonb

The Pope is partially right. If people think Condoms = No AIDS in a population that is like 33% AIDS plagued. What do you think is going to happen? We are talking about Africa here, the birth place and highest infection rate of AIDS. The only thing that can help these people is complete abstainence with those who have AIDS. If you go there and say "Condoms = No AIDS"... That will increase sexual relations with those that don't have AIDS and those with AIDS... Granted Condoms help in those cases but that is not the answer to the problem, just a bandaid.

Who the hell teaches Condoms = NO AIDS? Catholics :roll:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

The Pope is partially right. If people think Condoms = No AIDS in a population that is like 33% AIDS plagued. What do you think is going to happen? We are talking about Africa here, the birth place and highest infection rate of AIDS. The only thing that can help these people is complete abstainence with those who have AIDS. If you go there and say "Condoms = No AIDS"... That will increase sexual relations with those that don't have AIDS and those with AIDS...

AIDS will still happen with condoms. There's going to be a failure and that's how it is. That doesn't mean that using condoms will increase the rate. That's clearly false.

If the world were completely monogamous and no one had sex before marriage , then AIDs would disappear in a relatively short time. The problem is that isn't how things work. It's like saying that if you had millions, you could retire. True, but saying it doesn't make it happen.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Mani
Can someone explain to me why contraception is considered a sin to these folks? I assume it is because sex is intended only for procreation, so does that mean "pulling out" is also a sin? Or that having sex while the woman is pregnant/ not fertile is a sin? Sorry, but this stuff just seems completely ridiculous.

Because women have billions of eggs and men have millions of sperm. It was God's wishes making it so easy for us to reproduce that we are supposed to be doing that. To use contraceptive means you are going against God's will, and thats why its a sin.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Because women have billions of eggs and men have millions of sperm. It was God's wishes making it so easy for us to reproduce that we are supposed to be doing that. To use contraceptive means you are going against God's will, and thats why its a sin.

God gave us feet designed to make it easy to walk on, is walking on your hands a sin?

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006

Who the hell teaches Condoms = NO AIDS? Catholics :roll:

:roll: Sounds like to me that no matter what the Pope would say one way another you'd still disagree and :roll: your eyes. So whats the point of of having a discussion?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: jonks

God gave us feet designed to make it easy to walk on, is walking on your hands a sin?

we evolved from monkeys so jesus could save us