[Various] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Review Thread

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
You assume way too much. Not everyone has properly cooled cases with great airflow that is controlled to provide better cooling than an open test bed.

Listen, the point is, for $100 extra, Nvidia provided a substandard cooler that throttled.

Last generation, in the same price class, AMD provided a watercooler, free of charge, on the Fury X, that did not throttle, and had great temps/noise.

Nvidia is getting complacent by offering WORSE cooling on the GTX 1080, than the GTX 980, while charging more money than the GTX 980, and while offering less overclocking gains with the GTX 1080.

To let the GTX 1080 truly shine, Nvidia needed to provide a proper cooler, a proper BIOS (Since high OCs are only obtainable on different overclocking BIOS that the LN2 crowd are using), and proper power delivery. Without all of that, the GTX 1080 got released with not only an inadequate cooler, but also other issues which amounted to just OK stock performance in REAL WORLD CASES, and poor OC capabilities.

That's a shame for Nvidia's current flagship product.

A flagship product should be a premium product. Not this, and not this especially in the cooling department. Throttling is not acceptable.

No. For 100 dollars, Nvidia provided early access to the 1080. Whether or not early access is worth 100 bucks to somebody is entirely subjective. I see people buying them. It must be worth it to them.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Also on a sidenote, I read this was supposed to hurt scalpers? How did this hurt scalpers? If Nvidia wanted to hurt scalpers, they would have released the GTX 1080 with sufficient supply to meet demand and thus scalpers wouldn't be able to resell at a higher price.
Instead, Nvidia just released it at a higher price, made more money for themselves, and scalpers still won.

I really would like to see the breakdown of materials to prove this cooler is more premium than the past ones.

No. For 100 dollars, Nvidia provided early access to the 1080. Whether or not early access is worth 100 bucks to somebody is entirely subjective. I see people buying them. It must be worth it to them.

I completely agree, Nvidia offered a $100 premium to get early access to the 1080. You just also got a cooler that may throttle your card.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Given the problems with AMD's water cooler at launch, I can't really fault NV for not going that route.

I also suggested a while back that the retail 1080FE cards might be better than the review samples, and that could well be the case.

DamZe

May 18, 2016
IMHO the FE cooler is an underwhelming, and somewhat cheap solution pimped up to look "premium", and given a premium price tag, let the NVidia die-hards have at it.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016

They specifically said that the Premium price was for the board (missing components) and cooler.

https://youtu.be/bNCfn4y8dBw?t=110

Watch that whole video and the launch video. They specifically call out the board and cooler as premium.

Obviously we know that they aren't, and that it is an early adapter tax. But they are selling it as a premium cooler which it obviously is not.

Still waiting for a source claiming that drivers have fixed the cooler issues.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I think the FE cooler does the job okay.

I think NV shouldn't have made it sound like a special card, though.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
I really would like to see the breakdown of materials to prove this cooler is more premium than the past ones.

It seems to be ~$30 (well 10-20 then mark up) more premium than the 1070 cooler, and to actually perform better than that one does.

If you like its a distinctly average cooler designed for a 250w card which becomes a decent - not special - one for a 180w one ;)

Sub optimal buy unless desperate to get hold of one now, but I don't get the hatred. Marketing does these things.

Water coolers and all other such fanciness are left up to AIB's to provide, for I imagine very good reasons.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
nVidia never said that this cooler is more premium. They said that they are using premium materials (the cooler is 200g heavier than for example the MSI cards...) and thats the reason why AIBs will discount the reference model after a few months.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Still waiting for your sources claiming newer drivers have fixed the issues or that the issues are fixed in any way. Testers proved there are throttling issues when actually used in a case for an extended period of time (actual gaming, not just running benchmark).

Ok big guy. I'll start a thread asking for 1080FE owner participation. Wont be til tonight though.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Also on a sidenote, I read this was supposed to hurt scalpers? How did this hurt scalpers? If Nvidia wanted to hurt scalpers, they would have released the GTX 1080 with sufficient supply to meet demand and thus scalpers wouldn't be able to resell at a higher price.
Instead, Nvidia just released it at a higher price, made more money for themselves, and scalpers still won.

I completely agree, Nvidia offered a $100 premium to get early access to the 1080. You just also got a cooler that may throttle your card.

Or may not. ::smacks forehead::

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
nVidia never said that this cooler is more premium. They said that they are using premium materials (the cooler is 200g heavier than for example the MSI cards...) and thats the reason why AIBs will discount the reference model after a few months.

They kind of did. They said it's the best cooler they ever put on a GPU. And all those craftsmanship claims.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
They specifically said that the Premium price was for the board (missing components) and cooler.

https://youtu.be/bNCfn4y8dBw?t=110

Watch that whole video and the launch video. They specifically call out the board and cooler as premium.

Obviously we know that they aren't, and that it is an early adapter tax. But they are selling it as a premium cooler which it obviously is not.

Still waiting for a source claiming that drivers have fixed the cooler issues.
Youll have to wait your turn. Ive asked for sources myself and havent gotten any. So... get in line.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
They kind of did. They said it's the best cooler they ever put on a GPU. And all those craftsmanship claims.

Nope. They have made it clear that the FE is the reference card which used premium materials.

They never said that this is more "premium" than previous reference cards (except the GTX1080 uses a vapor chamber instead of heatpipes).

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Using a heavier cooler and getting worse results is not premium.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Given the problems with AMD's water cooler at launch, I can't really fault NV for not going that route.

I also suggested a while back that the retail 1080FE cards might be better than the review samples, and that could well be the case.
Are you suggesting that because amd had issues at launch with a water cooler than Nvidia of incapable of doing it better? Wow, that's quite a disappointment that now Nvidia cant do things better than amd....

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
Nope. They have made it clear that the FE is the reference card which used premium materials.

They never said that this is more "premium" than previous reference cards (except the GTX1080 uses a vapor chamber instead of heatpipes).
I know I watched the presentation as well as the Q&A session

I0B6NLj.png

https://youtu.be/bNCfn4y8dBw?t=129

They are claiming the FE is a premium design, not just materials used.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Are you suggesting that because amd had issues at launch with a water cooler than Nvidia of incapable of doing it better? Wow, that's quite a disappointment that now Nvidia cant do things better than amd....

No, I never suggested that. I mentioned it because you failed to do so in your praise of AMD.

From a marketing standpoint, it might have been very good if NV went with an AIO cooler that worked very well, shortly after AMD sort of tripped over it's own AIO cooler. :)

However, the risk was probably too high of having problems. :(

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
Yes, a premium design like the previous reference cards.

I don't remember them talking about the "premiumness" of previous ref. designs. They certainly didn't charge a $100 for it.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
You should watch the whole video. They are talking about it over and over again...

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
I don't remember them talking about the "premiumness" of previous ref. designs. They certainly didn't charge a $100 for it.

As said before, this is a semi-slimy way of pre-price dropping to counter an aggressive pricing strategy from AMD. nvidia KNOWS they are over pricing but they can simply let AIBs release cards at 100$ cheaper without having to admit they lowered their price.

Magee_MC

Jan 18, 2010
Sure it is. The blower cooler is premium. It doesnt mean you must like it. :thumbsup:

And here I thought that they had said that the FE with the blower cooler came with a premium. :D

I'm puzzled why it's being reported that it's performing worse in a case than in open benches. I thought that the advantage of a blower was that it exhausted the hot air outside the case and so didn't add as much to the temperature inside.

It looks like to me that the blower on the FE can adequately keep the card cool as long as the fan speed is high enough, but NV didn't have an aggressive enough fan speed to keep on top of it. Since some people are reporting problems and others aren't my guess is that NV tested it and set the fan profile at what they thought would be just enough to do the job. However since they probably have cases with excellent air flow, it didn't do the trick for everyone.

At the end of the day, they'll adjust the fan speeds through an update, and the reports of boost clock throttling will go away. The only question will be what is the noise level at the new fan speeds.

I see this very much like the pump noise on the Fury X on release. Annoying for some people, but once it's fixed not a big deal.