[Various] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Review Thread

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
As said before, this is a semi-slimy way of pre-price dropping to counter an aggressive pricing strategy from AMD. nvidia KNOWS they are over pricing but they can simply let AIBs release cards at 100$ cheaper without having to admit they lowered their price.
I agree.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Are you suggesting that because amd had issues at launch with a water cooler than Nvidia of incapable of doing it better? Wow, that's quite a disappointment that now Nvidia cant do things better than amd....

Also, I don't remember any such complains with their first water cooler reference cards AKA 295x2. Clearly, a faulty batch of components could make those issues to any graphics card.

But some would rather have a throttling card. I guess 290/X was also a premium cooler. AMD could have asked $100 more for it. Shame on them! No wonder they are on the red.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I still haven't seen a card with .25 driver+ throttle :)

Poor us FE owners, enjoying the fastest performance and no throttle all day :D

I can understand the envy, specially when some people are going to wait to 2017...

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006

I certainly wouldn't be worried about half a dozen people digging through reviews to find downsides if I owned this beast.
icon10.gif

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Also, I don't remember any such complains with their first water cooler reference cards AKA 295x2. Clearly, a faulty batch of components could make those issues to any graphics card.

So the odds, looking back, were 50/50 that you'd have problems with an AIO cooler at launch? :)

I was totally out of the computer building game when the 295X2 was released, and I have no idea how the release went.

I didn't get back in until late 2014, after having been out for a several years.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011

I can understand the envy, specially when some people are going to wait to 2017...
There is no envy here buddy. I find pleasure in not being taken advantage of.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008

Considering the 1080 actually does throttle and that a 980ti oced is the same speed as a throttled 1080 it's not like it's anything special. If I had wanted a 980ti level of performance I could have bought a 980ti. Not a more expensive and noisier 1080fe.

This isn't like maxwell launch where 970 owners had faster cards that 780ti owners and 980 owners were definitively the top.

Due to the 1080fe throttle and poor IPC gain it struggles to outpace a 980ti aib card. That's quite sad. The 1070fe is complete meh vs the 980ti aib cards.

Looks like Nvidia is delivering even less this generation than with Maxwell.

This card would have sold out without the cooler why did Nvidia even bother to provide it?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Considering the 1080 actually does throttle and that a 980ti oced is the same speed as a throttled 1080 it's not like it's anything special. If I had wanted a 980ti level of performance I could have bought a 980ti. Not a more expensive and noisier 1080fe.

This isn't like maxwell launch where 970 owners had faster cards that 780ti owners and 980 owners were definitively the top.

Due to the 1080fe throttle and poor IPC gain it struggles to outpace a 980ti aib card. That's quite sad. The 1070fe is complete meh vs the 980ti aib cards.

Looks like Nvidia is delivering even less this generation than with Maxwell.

This card would have sold out without the cooler why did Nvidia even bother to provide it?

My 1080 doesn't throttle below boost clocks. You can keep looping over and over. But retail and the reviews dont even use the same driver. The fan issue that .25 got isn't in the beta drivers the reviews used either.

So why dont you show me a card with .25 driver that throttles? I already proved mine doesn't go below boost clocks, even in the worst possible scenario with stopped case fan and high ambient.

The difference between you and me is I actually own the card and know how it behaves. Its quite clear you have no interest in Nvidia cards besides trying to downplay them as much as possible.

Last edited:

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
My 1080 doesn't throttle below boost clocks. You can keep looping over and over. But retail and the reviews dont even use the same driver. The fan issue that .25 got isn't in the beta drivers the reviews used either.

So why dont you show me a card with .25 driver that throttles? I already proved mine doesn't go below boost clocks, even in the worst possible scenario with stopped case fan and high ambient.

That's great you are enjoying a high level of perceived value. You can even type terms like "fastest" and "best". No one can deny those facts! And maybe the money doesn't matter to some people like you that will pay any amount to have "the best".

The reality is that most of here have much more realistic budgets to game off on (we ARE still focused on the gaming experience right? We ALL agree that 53FPS to 61FPS is the exact same experience right?). I think most of the discontent is not from just biased nv haters, but rather from honest enthusiasts that believe we didn't get what we thought we would. I think most of the ill-willed reception comes from the fact that nvidia was able to leverage both a new process and a new architecture ("new") and yet they actually decreased the value proposition on its cards.

If you are being honest with yourself, you would actually prefer they do this than giving consumers the 1080 at $499? How can anyone actually feel like nvidia improved ANYTHING when some of the best 980ti's out there are $500 and every 1080 (even the throttling ones) are $700? I'm SO tired with these 19th century capitalist worshippers that just parrot out "well the market supports whatever pricing where supply meets demand..." The only reason the federal government hasn't stepped in like they have done with so many other industries is that graphics cards are a true non essential luxury while homes, cars, and many other things in life ARE essential.

I understand you don't want to give an INCH to people that disagree with nvidia, but at some point I just hope you're honest with yourself in the knowledge that you did not get a good deal.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
That's great you are enjoying a high level of perceived faster. You can even spout out terms like "fastest" and "best". No one can deny those facts. And maybe the money doesn't matter to some people like you that will pay any amount to have "the best".

The reality is that most of here have much more realistic budgets to game off on (we ARE still focused on the gaming experience right? We ALL agree that 52FPS to 61FPS is the exact same experience right?). I think most of the discontent is actually not from just biased nv haters. I think most of the ill-willed reception comes from the fact that nvidia was able to leverage both a new process and a new architecture ("new") and actually decreased the value proposition on its cards.

If you are being honest with yourself, you would actually prefer they do this than giving consumers the 1080 at $499? How can anyone actually feel like nvidia improved ANYTHING when some of the best 980ti's out there are $500 and every 1080 (even the throttling ones) are $700?

I understand you don't want to give an INCH to people that disagree with nvidia, but at some point I just hope you're honest with yourself in the knowledge that you did not get a good deal.

So in short you want the best, but pay very little?

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016

The difference between you and me is I actually own the card and know how it behaves. Its quite clear you have no interest in Nvidia cards besides trying to downplay them as much as possible.

Your "proof" was your card running @ 90% gpu usage, so CPU bottlenecked. It was also not running OC'd and barely hitting the boost clocks.

Not what I'd expect from a Premium cooler on a card with "crazy overclockability"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRxoWkSDhVc&feature=youtu.be&t=171

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRxoWkSDhVc&feature=youtu.be&t=28

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
If you are being honest with yourself, you would actually prefer they do this than giving consumers the 1080 at $499? How can anyone actually feel like nvidia improved ANYTHING when some of the best 980ti's out there are $500 and every 1080 (even the throttling ones) are $700?

It has been said over and over again that custom cards will cost less, starting at $599. Repeating FE's price won't change this fact, I'm afraid. Can we also quote Radeon RX 480's initial retail price as definitive, even knowing it should cost less (closer to MSRP) following the few weeks after launch?

Ingoring the personal attack, can you please point out a better deal? Which AMD single GPU VGA offers this level of performance today?

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
It has been said over and over again that custom cards will cost less, starting at $599. Repeating FE's price won't change this fact, I'm afraid. Can we also quote Radeon RX 480's initial retail price as definitive, even knowing it should cost less (closer to MSRP) following the few weeks after launch?

Ingoring the personal attack, can you please point out a better deal? Which AMD single GPU VGA offers this level of performance today?

Once again and again... nvidia without a doubt, no little twinkle of disbelief has the absolute fastest card. And once again, capitalism apologists aside, no one is ok with a chip half the size costing 40% more for 15% more performance.

Why is it that people can't admit that they wanted the performance of the 1080 but think it should have cost less? If you were just hanging out with nvidia lovers would you then admit it in secrecy? Nvidia does not operate a fab nor incur r&d costs for new nodes. That's TSMC's job and early adopters like Apple helped pave the way to finance this development on 16nm.

Nvidia may pay an incremental amount higher per wafer for 16nm for now, but are they paying 280% more per die mm? (1080 is 40% more than a $500 980ti, yet half the die size). If you tell me you believe that then you are either trolling or truly blindfolded.

TSMC did not triple their costs to customers especially with competition heating up from people like GloFo and samsung.

Its amazing the lack of compromise I see in these forums. People are so far "left or right" that they absolutely refuse to offer concessions in debate.

NO ONE is arguing the performance crown of the 1080, I'm merely trying to figure out why people almost want to be charged more? Are you just that patriotic that the system is working towards corporations mandate to maximize profits?

Why can't you just admit nVidia absolutely did not try to increase value to its consumers?

f2bnp

May 25, 2015
So in short you want the best, but pay very little?

his point----->
____
/your\
/ head \

I have a very simple question for you guys that keep defending 1080 FE pricing. Let's say in January/February 2017, Nvidia releases 1080Ti for 850$, would that be okay with you? Would you go ahead and buy it?

Because if you are it really means you don't really care about the price, any price. So long as you get the best performance there is out there. Am I correct in my assessment?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I wouldn't buy a 1080TI, because I already got a 1080. And assume the 1080TI is 250W or so. That's higher than I wish to have.

So 599 to 699 is an awful price. Yet people happily paid 649 or more for 980TI, Fury X and Nano? :)

The double standards are massive, I know :D

The only reason why there is so much fuss about this, is because one IHV didn't bring anything to the fight and those people have to wait till 2017 for whatever that comes at whatever it may be priced.

Last edited:

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
But some would rather have a throttling card. I guess 290/X was also a premium cooler. AMD could have asked $100 more for it. Shame on them! No wonder they are on the red.

Ah no. I've seen this a few times and there is no comparison between the reference coolers for the 1080 and the 290/X. One is a perfectly adequate cooler - yes not brilliant and being sold at an odd premium, but usable! - the other simply wasn't.

Look at the 1080 review which actually has the 290X Uber mode in. That 290X was running at 92 degrees(!) and 60 dB - massively hotter and louder than is even remotely sane.

The AIBs ultimately tamed the chip quite well of course, but they simply shouldn't ever have released the 290X at that power draw with that reference cooler. I presume there has to have been some ugly communication mix up somewhere or they'd have cut clocks and left it for the AIBs to really push the chip.

Piroko

Jan 10, 2013
Can't really blame Shintai for buying the fastest chip that is currently on the market.

But I can also follow this argument:
Why is it that people can't admit that they wanted the performance of the 1080 but think it should have cost less?
Companies have stopped complaining about transistor costs of newer processes for a year now so 16ff+ seems to be on a good track to be cheaper per transistor than 28nm. They would be much more vocal about how their new chips tackled that problen through smart engineering or similar if we still had this issue.

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
I wouldn't buy a 1080TI, because I already got a 1080.

So 599 to 699 is an awful price. Yet people happily paid 649 or more for 980TI, Fury X and Nano? :)

The double standards are massive, I know :D

How can you possibly say that about the 1080ti without knowing pricing or performance? So if its twice as fast but releases at $650 you now magically don't want the fastest card out there?

The 980ti was perhaps one of the best cards ever released by nvidia. If money wasn't an option I would have def purchased one. Luckily my 290X drank from the fountain of youth and continues to power through any game I throw at it. The 980ti gave a massive performance boost with even better OCing headroom all while being just a little bit more than a 980

A 980ti 15% jump to 1080 is perfectly fine at FE gouged pricing but a possible same priced 1080ti with perhaps 50% more performance is not happening? Talk about double standards, friend.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
How can you possibly say that about the 1080ti without knowing pricing or performance? So if its twice as fast but releases at $650 you now magically don't want the fastest card out there?

The 980ti was perhaps one of the best cards ever released by nvidia. If money wasn't an option I would have def purchased one. Luckily my 290X drank from the fountain of youth and continues to power through any game I throw at it. The 980ti gave a massive performance boost with even better OCing headroom all while being just a little bit more than a 980

A 980ti 15% jump to 1080 is perfectly fine at FE gouged pricing but a possible same priced 1080ti with perhaps 50% more performance is not happening? Talk about double standards, friend.

Plenty of leaks of GP102 information. In short, GP104+50% in terms of resources. Its no different than GM204 vs GM200 as such. And it will be 250W or more that I dont want. But again, 1080TI is coming out anytime soon.

Last edited:

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Only really the truly 'fastest' fanatics will go 980ti to 1080, and the same for 1080 to 1080ti. Anyone else is on a 2-3 year cycle these days. Its mostly what the processes let them do.

I do think it is worth people reflecting on if NV really could have produced a faster - so larger - card on 14/16nm just now. Much bigger cards than AMD are trying for starters, and their 1080 volumes hardly look that ideal as it stands!

Suspect the experience of doing the 1080 will make producing the eventual 1080ti much less painful.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
We had this discussion in another thread, seems the performance increases are pretty much exactly 30% for each new release. Meaning that the "big chip" is not "better" in any way. The small chip makes up for size and cores, with better process and architecture. The end result is the same. The 980Ti was a fine chip, but it wasn't "special" and nor will the 1080Ti be. Being on the "small chip" cycle is no worse than being on the "big chip" cycle. In fact, the small ones seem to be priced slightly lower (although 1080 may have changed that). Nvidia knows where to target the performance, and history suggest they will hit the same exact spot again. It makes no economic sense to release something that has a bigger performance jump unless AMD trounces them which seems unlikely in the short term.

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
We had this discussion in another thread, seems the performance increases are pretty much exactly 30% for each new release. Meaning that the "big chip" is not "better" in any way. The small chip makes up for size and cores, with better process and architecture. The end result is the same. The 980Ti was a fine chip, but it wasn't "special" and nor will the 1080Ti be. Being on the "small chip" cycle is no worse than being on the "big chip" cycle. In fact, the small ones seem to be priced slightly lower (although 1080 may have changed that). Nvidia knows where to target the performance, and history suggest they will hit the same exact spot again. It makes no economic sense to release something that has a bigger performance jump unless AMD trounces them which seems unlikely in the short term.

I see your point but you are generalizing to just the Kepler and Maxwell's generational performance deltas. Many other generations we got both mid and high end cards with pricing respective to each. Nvidia does have, with out the faintest doubt, the resources to already have had GP102 ready to go. Sure, yields may not have been as great on a ~450mm card, but isn't that what these skyrocketing prices for? To absorb that development cost while maintaining their sky-high margins? No one in their right mind gonna argue a $800-1,000 GP102 1080ti wouldn't be massively profitable for nVidia. The ONLY logical, rational explanation is that nVidia wants enthusiasts to buy BOTH A 1080 in June 2016 and a 1080ti in Q1 2017.

Is this unethical? Well I don't think I can say that. Does it show an earnest and honest way of doing business? Now well that probably depends on if you are a board member at NV or a consumer playing along in nVidia's game. What really gets worrying is when you have GPU enthusiasts with the mindset of an actually vested stakeholder of the company that claim to be totally ok with reduced tangible value for their dollar.

Last edited:

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
No, seriously, you don't have to view it quite that cynically :)

Of course if they were desperate/behind than they could obviously - see P100 - have done something like releasing an enormous 1080ti for the publicity, even with terrible yields etc.

They're very much not though. Very focused on being smooth, controlled and only doing things when its a really sensible time to do. Slightly dull perhaps but seemingly very effective.

The more annoying stuff is where NV marketing have clearly spotted ways to grab money. Bits like the FE/Titans etc.