[Various] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Review Thread

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
The card doesnt throttle. Stop it. The base clock is 1607Mhz.

You know there is a reason why nVidia is calling it a boost.

Granted it can be a boost but then the perfs we see here and there are done with some boost since the card take some time to get to base clock, so that s reviews using non reproducible numbers for perfs, so next time dont use those numbers to make perf comparisons....

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Getting it early.
Yup for getting it early you get a worse cooler that may not sustain boost clocks and will drop back to base clocks without pushing the fan curve.

Luckily aib cards have actually decent coolers and will be far more likely to sustain boost clocks and go faster without the noise and fan penalty the current fe cards have.

The only thing that is disappointing is its clear Nvidia is going backwards on their reference cooler for their high end card while amd is going forward with fury x. I really hope Nvidia doesnt use this same cooler for the 1080ti/new Titan. They will be a disgrace to those who pickup those products especially if they continue to charge the premium.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Yup for getting it early you get a worse cooler that may not sustain boost clocks and will drop back to base clocks without pushing the fan curve.

Luckily aib cards have actually decent coolers and will be far more likely to sustain boost clocks and go faster without the noise and fan penalty the current fe cards have.

The only thing that is disappointing is its clear Nvidia is going backwards on their reference cooler for their high end card while amd is going forward with fury x. I really hope Nvidia doesnt use this same cooler for the 1080ti/new Titan. They will be a disgrace to those who pickup those products especially if they continue to charge the premium.

Oh, now it "may" not sustain boost clocks.. ok.

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
The custom fan curve argument also has a double-edged sword baked right into it. Whether it was R9 290/290X or 1080, sure you can increase the fan speed to help sustain boost clocks but then you are increasing noise levels. We would then need an updated noise graph to reflect a 1080 FE card that can run the game at 99-100% GPU usage without throttling. It's mind-blowing seeing the same people who berated the 6970/7970/290 blowers now using the fan curve argument and ignoring the increased noise levels that come with it.

Oh, and remember how some people on here hated on AIO CLC Fury because you couldn't have 0 dBA operation at light gaming/2D mode? Cannot have that on FE cards but I guess noise levels don't matter anymore.

Same here. Can't even begin to understand how the "290/x blower sucks" and "noise is unbearable a mile away if we crank fan speed up, it's unacceptable" arguments don't apply to the FE 1080, on top of having to hand over $100 (I mean, being robbed of $100) for a subpar cooling solution.

• Too much noise to maintain boost clocks? "Headphones will do"
  • Card should run at 1800-1900MHz to justify its performance increase to be called flagship? "Nah, not a problem, it's running at boost clocks, whatever amount over the 1600-whatever base clocks, so nothing is wrong"
  • etc

Gimme a break. I've never seen the goalpost move this much, especially to defend a subpar product. nV brainwashing of the herd is as real as ever. I worry about what nV will try to pull off with the 1080Ti and Volta generation cards after seeing people gobble up scam edition 1080s and probably 1070s as soon as they're available.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
The only thing that is disappointing is its clear Nvidia is going backwards on their reference cooler for their high end card.

Not I think obvious :) The 1080 cooler works - given a sane fan curve anyway - so the penalty is going to be noise. On Hexus its 38 db to the 980's 39, and the 1080 draws more power of course.

So I think it has maybe even gone very slightly forwards.

If you want to tear a chunk off a FE cooler, the 1070's one might be a better target. Noisier than the 1080? I guess the premium there is lower but good AIB 1070's will be silent.

I really hope Nvidia doesnt use this same cooler for the 1080ti/new Titan. They will be a disgrace to those who pickup those products especially if they continue to charge the premium.

Disgrace is a bit strong, but I must admit to not being too confident how well this cooler would deal with 1080ti/Titan levels of power draw. Especially if planning on overclocking it.

Maybe they will do something more somehow. Water cooling they seem happy leaving to their AIB partners - there seem to be SKU's with it lined up to launch a lot faster than with the 980/ti.

May 13, 2009
I know no one will admit it but all this price premium stuff is killing the cheap arses like myself. I just want a good card for $200ish. I haven't bought a card in a few years and the same cards like the 380x are still going for the same price as a few years ago!

zentan

Jan 23, 2015
Seemingly not awful, but if you actively care about noise this is not going to be the cooler to get :)

I'd not touch it for not powering down its fans at idle alone, but at this TDP there will be some very, very quiet cooling solutions from the AIB's.

Elsewhere, well, I was just defending it against the throttling. I definitely wouldn't buy one myself vs some other things.

Although I also don't think calling the FE cooler crap or bad is truly fair. Much closer to average, with a downside of a premium attached.
:thumbsup:
Yep apparently some are not even open for acknowledging that many are getting ~2-2.1GHz OC easily with this stock cooler and some decent 1.8-2GHz clocks with "acceptable" noise levels as reported by some owners. Besides not many would pay 100$ extra unless one requires blower absolutely when one can wait for custom cards with better potential.
Of course there are people for whom 100$ isn't a big deal neither they can wait.

zentan

Jan 23, 2015
I know no one will admit it but all this price premium stuff is killing the cheap arses like myself. I just want a good card for $200ish. I haven't bought a card in a few years and the same cards like the 380x are still going for the same price as a few years ago!
Don't care about premium top-end much but $200ish market is sure going to look great with RX 480 and may be other things would follow along the line.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
So no new custom GPU review? Still just Strix and MSI one?
I read on Evga forums Hybrids are gonna be launched in early July. I guess another 1-3 weeks before actual availability over here...so i am looking at the mid-summer purchase at best.... and the Gigabyte Waterforce, which i would prefer to it, cause of the full block, has not even been announced yet...

oh well. Was it this bad with 980Tis last year as well?

showb1z

Dec 30, 2010
The card doesnt throttle. Stop it. The base clock is 1607Mhz.

You know there is a reason why nVidia is calling it a boost.

Oh, so base clocks should suffice? Spending $700 on a card that's not even faster than a significantly cheaper 980Ti sounds like a winner.

You lot really need to learn how to pick your battles.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
Oh, so base clocks should suffice? Spending $700 on a card that's not even faster than a significantly cheaper 980Ti sounds like a winner.

The GTX1080FE is 30% faster than the GTX980TI/TitanX reference card.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

You also may need to learn to stop exaggerating and dramaticizing things. You made it sound like base clock is all you'll get. I mean, your fingers type the words but nothing tells you it isnt true and to stop. You know it isnt true, yet youre trumpeting it from the ramparts. Worry less about who picks what battles and worry more if the battle is even real.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
The GTX1080FE is 30% faster than the GTX980TI/TitanX reference card.

How many reference 980 Ti's are being sold still? You can buy OC'd ones for under $550 and have for a long time now.

Funny how every Nvidia fanboy on the forums was saying that all 980 TI's in reviews needed to be OC'd, yet now that the more expensive Nvidia card is out, all of them must be compared against reference.

And regardless, it still doesn't excuse them selling a $100 "Premium" board and cooler that throttles horribly.

So many sites slammed the 290x on release because of the issues the cooler had. Yet paying extra for a cooler that is just as bad is now ok?

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Oh, now it "may" not sustain boost clocks.. ok.

Yes it may not sustain boost clocks, thus will get lower performance in reviews, and thus is not as good as a card as it may initially seem.

Even in open air tests is struggles to stay cool, so those who are using it in a case, will have to do further work to ensure their GPU stays cool all while paying a premium.

That's a pretty bad value proposition for Nvidia's flagship card to have an even worse cooling performance than the last generation.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
How many reference 980 Ti's are being sold still? You can buy OC'd ones for under $550 and have for a long time now.

Thanks, youve just given a perfect example of why you shouldnt worry too much about reference 1080FE.

Funny how every Nvidia fanboy on the forums was saying that all 980 TI's in reviews needed to be OC'd, yet now that the more expensive Nvidia card is out, all of them must be compared against reference.

is it also funny how every AMD fan didnt? Are you busting a gut over that one?

And regardless, it still doesn't excuse them selling a $100 "Premium" board and cooler that throttles horribly.

100 dollar premium was for early access I believe.

So many sites slammed the 290x on release because of the issues the cooler had. Yet paying extra for a cooler that is just as bad is now ok?

290x had a bad cooler. 1080FE does not. Shrugs.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Yes it may not sustain boost clocks, thus will get lower performance in reviews, and thus is not as good as a card as it may initially seem.

Even in open air tests is struggles to stay cool, so those who are using it in a case, will have to do further work to ensure their GPU stays cool all while paying a premium.

That's a pretty bad value proposition for Nvidia's flagship card to have an even worse cooling performance than the last generation.

Then it also "may" sustain boost clocks. Just the same. I believe 1080FE owners are finding that it may a lot more than it may not. I propose a new thread just for 1080FE owners and ask them to report.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Then it also "may" sustain boost clocks. Just the same. I believe 1080FE owners are finding that it may a lot more than it may not. I propose a new thread just for 1080FE owners and ask them to report.

You're welcome to make it, you don't have to propose it. Either way, if the FE cooler was a great cooler there wouldn't be so many reports of it throttling and needing custom fan curves.

This is the worst cooled card on an Nvidia high end product in a long time. It's a step backwards for Nvidia over the previous cards, and is not a good look. Nvidia can not continue this poor level of cooling with the new Titan and 1080ti.

They dont. Cooler works as its supposed to.

Whether the cooler works isn't in question. It's whether it is able to do the job effectively. It does not.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
You're welcome to make it, you don't have to propose it. Either way, if the FE cooler was a great cooler there wouldn't be so many reports of it throttling and needing custom fan curves.

This is the worst cooled card on an Nvidia high end product in a long time. It's a step backwards for Nvidia over the previous cards, and is not a good look. Nvidia can not continue this poor level of cooling with the new Titan and 1080ti.

Whether the cooler works isn't in question. It's whether it is able to do the job effectively. It does not.
Really? I havent heard much from the retail crowd regarding this.
Good Lord what exaggeration.
It absolutely does do its job effectively.
I mean dude. Come on with this already.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008

Not only the review crowd but the retail crowd has confirmed the poor cooling as evidenced by posts throughout this thread.

01-Clock-Rate_w_600.png

Thus, it can't be doing its job effectively.
It's doing a job. Just not a good one.

When presented with a 100% load in furmark it goes below its baseclock.

Obviously, this is a concern with reviewers as there was not nearly this much testing on whether the 980Ti could hold clockrates. However, with the 1080, due to the drop in cooling standards by Nvidia, this is has been tested by a LOT of reviewers/users with not so stellar results in comparison to the 980Ti, 980, and previous launches.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
If "working as its supposed to" results in significant throttling after 10 minutes of gameplay in current releases, then that's an extraordinarily poor design.

This is the same debacle as the 290 cooler. Exactly the same situation. The difference is in the details of each company's approach.

1) nVidia leans more towards throttling performance instead of increasing noise, AMD increased noise (higher fan speeds) to minimize throttling. The cause is the same: cooler is insufficient to cool without throttling at low noise levels.
2) It is only for the reference version. Aftermarket 290s were dramatically improved. I expect the same for 1080's.
3) There was extremely limited launch stock of 290s and 1080s both, AMD's approach was do nothing and let stock build over time. A lot of people went with the 780 because you couldn't buy a 290. nVidia is reducing demand/maximizing profit by putting a $100 premium on the low-stock early phase of the roll out. Which is pretty atrocious for consumers, but its about as close to the perfect move to make as you can get from a business standpoint.

Last edited:

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008

Also this means that the 1080FE isn't actually faster than the 980Tis most people have now.

fullscreencapture5242ogshz.jpg

That assumes a boost max of 1801. But now, lets put it in a closed, since we know that the FE cooler is effectively only ensured for the base clock, lets put that clockspeed at not 1801, but ~1700, and all of a sudden, it's worse than a 980Ti that can be regularly obtained for less.

Now the 1080 only has efficiency and some unproven Nvidia features behind it.

The framing of the 1080 has been very misleading.
Testing the 1080 in benchmarks where the bench lasts a short time and it's in an open bench setup doesn't reflect real world cases where the performance on the 1080 can be 10-15% higher than in a real world case.

To make matters worse, the main reason Maxwell was so good was power effieciency/great IPC/great OC results.

Pascal has lower IPC and less OC performance as a result from bad OCing and lower IPC.

All of this needs to be taken into account when looking at the 1080FE, which due to the cooler is extremely held back.