Vanguard Feedback Thread

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
We are delighted to extend this invitation to you to participate in the Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Closed Beta Phase 4. Below are the instructions needed to get you started on a path towards Telon. We have made the process as painless as possible.

Let you know how it is once I find time to play it :

Here are the minimum specs for Vanguard:

* Windows® 2000/XP
* 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible computer

* 100% DirectX compatible keyboard or input device
* Processor 2.4 GHz Intel processor or 2400+ or higher model AMD processor
* 512 MB RAM
* Vertex and Pixel shader 2.0 compatible hardware with 128MB of texture memory
* 100% DirectX compatible sound card
* 56K + Internet Connection
* 16X Speed DVD-ROM
* 20 Gigabytes Hard Drive Space
* The latest version of DirectX 9.0c

Update: ETA is 7 hours to download with my 24mb connection.

THREAD TITLE CHANGED NOW VANGUARD IS LIVE

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
lozina From what I have read at the forums, there will be at least one PvP server when it is launched,however there are no PvP details at this time .

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Cool. A friend of mine got into an earlier phase of beta with his guild (not sure which phase, may have been 1 or 2?).

He really likes the rogue class, and I'll probably be joining him and his guild in the game when it launches.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Btw when I joined the Vanguard official forums awhile back, you get a chance to get a beta key,looks like a lot have been given out,link. ,latest batch of beta invites was this week.

I have also read open beta is not far off too:).

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah, I'm registered there, but I haven't posted yet (nothing I feel is important enough to post on) and I haven't received anything in my e-mail yet. :(

But, I don't have a problem waiting until release. Playing WoW right now and trying to get enough honor for good PvP gear.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
I got the beta invite for phase 3 as well but just don't have time to play.

We are delighted to extend this invitation to you to participate in the Vanguard: Saga of Heroes beta Phase 3. Below are the instructions needed to get you started on a path towards Telon. We have made the process as painless as possible.

If you have ever played an SOE game, you have a Station Account. If you remember your information, you will use it to access Vanguard.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Ok guys I had about 30 mins gaming in Vanguard,lets start with the download which took about 15 hours ,when you launch the game it checks the files before playing that took full 10 minutes.

Character creation is quite flexible you can change all the features like lips,nose ,eyes etc...I went with monk (half elf)and started on an island with other players,some npc imperial soldiers were fighting local shang villagers,I gave them a hand and killed a few villagers (do note villagers were level 1 while soldiers were level 25, so too hard for my level 1 monk to fight the soldiers).

I had no quests but there was a quest log book,game is demanding to say the least,while graphics were nice, I had to settle for balance performance with shadows off,even then not 100% smooth,there is lot of options for fine tuning,I tried highest quality and that looks very nice but my system could not handle it,on highest performance settings things looked basic with things missing like grass etc..(to be expected I guess on that setting).

There were options for HDR,Bloom,Anisotropic etc..(did not see AA ) I had them all off.

Having lots of ram and very good video card will be important in this game.I could not really do a lot in the beta map area,just run around and fight some villagers and talked to other players,I did see NPC guy on a dragon that looked cool.Controls are similar to EQ and other MMORPG games ,plus you can customize the keys so no problems there.

I kept thinking I need 8800 card for this game,maybe performance will be better in final release,we shall see.

Anyway I will try another class later and see if I start on the same island.
One last thing, I had two choices for the beta servers,one was pvp only server showing about 200 players in that, the non pvp server was showing 1200 players.

Btw I was playing at 1680x1050 res.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Mem
Ok guys I had about 30 mins gaming in Vanguard,lets start with the download which took about 15 hours ,when you launch the game it checks the files before playing that took full 10 minutes.

Character creation is quite flexible you can change all the features like lips,nose ,eyes etc...I went with monk (half elf)and started on an island with other players,some npc imperial soldiers were fighting local shang villagers,I gave them a hand and killed a few villagers (do note villagers were level 1 while soldiers were level 25, so too hard for my level 1 monk to fight the soldiers).

I had no quests but there was a quest log book,game is demanding to say the least,while graphics were nice, I had to settle for balance performance with shadows off,even then not 100% smooth,there is lot of options for fine tuning,I tried highest quality and that looks very nice but my system could not handle it,on highest performance settings things looked basic with things missing like grass etc..(to be expected I guess on that setting).

There were options for HDR,Bloom,Anisotropic etc..(did not see AA ) I had them all off.

Having lots of ram and very good video card will be important in this game.I could not really do a lot in the beta map area,just run around and fight some villagers and talked to other players,I did see one guy on a dragon that looked cool.Controls are similar to EQ and other MMORPG games ,plus you can customize the keys so no problems there.

I kept thinking I need 8800 card for this game,maybe performance will be better in final release,we shall see.

One last thing, I had two choices for the beta servers,one was pvp only server showing about 200 players in that, the non pvp server was showing 1200 players.

Wow, your main rig is just about like mine...that's sad that the performance is crappy. It's not like you have bad hardware. =(

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: hungfarover
Originally posted by: Mem

Having lots of ram and very good video card will be important in this game.I could not really do a lot in the beta map area,just run around and fight some villagers and talked to other players,I did see one guy on a dragon that looked cool.Controls are similar to EQ and other MMORPG games ,plus you can customize the keys so no problems there.

Wow, your main rig is just about like mine...that's sad that the performance is crappy. It's not like you have bad hardware. =(

yah nearly the same as mine too... thats no fun =/

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I was trying to be very accurate on the performance,in general its not too bad on my system ,but can be better,unfortunately it means I to have a better video card or lower the settings.

Gameplay wise I did not see any graphical glitches,and stability was fine.

I'll play around more with the settings and see what FPS I get ,let you know later.

UPDATE:FPS is showing about 20-23 fps on average,I was fighting a monk and it was a steady 23fps,fps went anywhere from 12-30 depending on where I was in the area,I would hate to think what FPS is like in grouping with wizards etc.. doing area attacks on mobs.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004

For the performance being crappy, it's not so much the game itself as server side lag being atrocious I was told, the game performs well on middle end pcs. It has been like that for months and months I am told. If you check the lag meter, it's always red with the lag at anywhere from 1-5 seconds or so I was told again.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Apparently then, they need to move a lot of stuff client side and work on network compensation

It's silly to have everything running server side in a MMO

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Feneant2

For the performance being crappy, it's not so much the game itself as server side lag being atrocious I was told, the game performs well on middle end pcs. It has been like that for months and months I am told. If you check the lag meter, it's always red with the lag at anywhere from 1-5 seconds or so I was told again.

Indeed, the game should be called LagGuard or LagQuest.
My acct has sat mostly unused due to this.
If the server pop stats are accurate this is not good as they only have 800-1000 people on the main server when I've played and it's almost unbearable in cities/newby zones.

A pvp server was recently started but I haven't been able to force myself to play.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
For those keeping track, Phase 5 Beta started yesterday . . . or this morning, not sure.

I've been playing this morning for a couple of hours, level 3 Raki<?> Ranger. So far the game has managed to crash 3 times, has had repeated database errors preventing the character from saving its progress, etc. They've got some work to do before they go live, thats for sure. Fortunately, there is positive news. In looking at the recent patch notes, there seems to be updates applied every day, or every other day. So, work is being down, which is a plus.

Since my game keeps getting interrupted by the crashes, I've only just finished some of the quests in the newbie land. I do like how they're asking for feedback on quests when you go to turn them in, and I've been writing some lengthy comments on each quest.

Visually, the game is absolutely stunning. It also runs pretty sluggishly. Running at 1680x1050 with HQest quality settings and it varies between 10 and 20 fps according to fraps. My system is certainly no slouch, AM2 X2 4200, 2GB RAM, X1900XT(6.12cats). This engine needs some more optimization before it goes live.

I'll be playing the game more, but I need to keep any MMO addictions in check. I am taking classes now.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Interesting, I think I will sign up for this. I received a notice from Fileplanet about signing up for beta testing a little while back but had never heard of Vanguard so just ignored it.

I will be interested to see what frames I get at 1920x1200 :frown:

KT

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Interesting, I think I will sign up for this. I received a notice from Fileplanet about signing up for beta testing a little while back but had never heard of Vanguard so just ignored it.

I will be interested to see what frames I get at 1920x1200 :frown:

KT

My notebook has a 1920x1200 display and a 7800GTX 256MB vidchip, only 1GB of RAM though. I plan on upgrading that in a few months.