Valve Finally Announces new Half-Life Game, but...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 18, 2000
What are the mechanics like for other first person VR games? I wonder if this will be on rails or a more traditional shooter.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Says you. The end of Episode 2 was a pretty considerable cliff-hanger; if it wasn't such a landmark series I might agree... but not HL. You need a proper ending to kill off a franchise and they did the exact opposite.
Except Marc Laidlaw already posted the summarized script version of Episode 3 ten years after it was cancelled. You don't need a proper ending, you just need to stop making the games to kill off the franchise.

Besides, if Valve goes back and finally makes and releases Episode 3 or Half Life 3, it will likely be the first time in history that a seemingly-dead series was revitalized after over a decade and made something that the fans loved. Duke Nukem Forever is the only one that comes to mind where they tried to revive a dead franchise and it never lived up to the hype. Not only did it not live up to the hype, it did bad enough the investors pulled out.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I just want more gravity gun and implement a portal gun into the game. VR isn't worth it yet. It's just a clunkier version of gaming with the screen closer to your eyeballs. Mouse and keyboard is still the best way to game.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Except Marc Laidlaw already posted the summarized script version of Episode 3 ten years after it was cancelled.

That was literally something anyone at the company could have written in 10 minutes at a coffee shop. Valve has clearly re-prioritized their efforts since Orange Box, however that doesn't necessarily mean Half-Life's story was completely abandoned.

It was also Laidlaw or Lombardi who stated in an interview with IGN or GS that we'd see Gordon Freeman again, at some point.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Besides, if Valve goes back and finally makes and releases Episode 3 or Half Life 3, it will likely be the first time in history that a seemingly-dead series was revitalized after over a decade and made something that the fans loved. Duke Nukem Forever is the only one that comes to mind where they tried to revive a dead franchise and it never lived up to the hype. Not only did it not live up to the hype, it did bad enough the investors pulled out.

- To be fair, DNF was not only in development hell for over a decade, but the game got picked up by Gearbox after 3D Realms went down who just slapped a bare minimum finishing coat on the thing to get it out the door.

This would be Valve producing one of their own properties, presumably with a normal development cycle. It would be a totally different set of circumstances than DNF.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
This would be Valve producing one of their own properties, presumably with a normal development cycle. It would be a totally different set of circumstances than DNF.
But with a completely different team than the ones who originally made Half Life.

I'm all for this game being a success and spurring the continuation of the Half Life universe to a proper conclusion. All I'm saying is that I have absolutely zero expectations for that happening. If I keep my expectations low, Valve can't disappoint me again and if they succeed, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
The game looks good. Sucks to be VR only but it is another great reason to own VR.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Appears you all aren’t going to have to wait much longer. Release is March 2020

Valve’s return to the Half-Life universe that started it all was built from the ground up for virtual reality. VR was built to enable the gameplay that sits at the heart of Half-Life.

Immerse yourself in deep environmental interactions, puzzle solving, world exploration, and visceral combat.

Lean to aim around a broken wall and under a Barnacle to make an impossible shot. Rummage through shelves to find a healing syringe and some shotgun shells. Manipulate tools to hack alien interfaces. Toss a bottle through a window to distract an enemy. Rip a Headcrab off your face and throw it out the window.

I must be getting old because all that sounds like a lot of work. I just want to play some video games...

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I must be getting old because all that sounds like a lot of work. I just want to play some video games...

tbh it's one of the biggest reasons VR hasn't taken off yet. Video games are largely about loafing...fall into your chair or couch & just unplug for awhile. With a VR, you're moving, you have all this hardware, etc. Either with a wired headset & a cable trail, or with a wireless headset where you have to charge the batteries. And charge up the wireless controllers either way.

Don't get me wrong - I love VR - but it's not the same experience as playing a console on a TV or a PC game on a monitor, because you're not flopping. Roomscale VR is for walking around, and some games have stationary/fixed games where you sit in your chair, but you're still having to sit up, wear a headset, etc.

Reactions: BudAshes

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Yeah I’m not sold on VR either, still interesting but too much equipment, too much stuff on your face

The experience is really cool, but you need the mental capacity for it. When I got home off a 12-hour shift, there are times when playing VR is just too much mental effort. Sounds lame but that's how it is lol. Move mouse, click button, PC games are good enough most of the time haha.

Reactions: BudAshes
Feb 4, 2009
The experience is really cool, but you need the mental capacity for it. When I got home off a 12-hour shift, there are times when playing VR is just too much mental effort. Sounds lame but that's how it is lol. Move mouse, click button, PC games are good enough most of the time haha.

Yeah that’s one of my hang ups regarding VR

First it’s too isolating to me, I don’t want to step on the cat or dog while playing
Second you look like a dork with them on. My wife frequently stops by to either watch a game (briefly) or just chat a little
Third I just don’t want something strapped to my face
Finally, much of my gaming happens while my wife is in bed and it’s late. Stomping around after a day of work late at night sounds like I’ll get yelled at

Reactions: Kaido and BudAshes

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Yeah that’s one of my hang ups regarding VR

First it’s too isolating to me, I don’t want to step on the cat or dog while playing
Second you look like a dork with them on. My wife frequently stops by to either watch a game (briefly) or just chat a little
Third I just don’t want something strapped to my face
Finally, much of my gaming happens while my wife is in bed and it’s late. Stomping around after a day of work late at night sounds like I’ll get yelled at

lol, this is so true.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
that looks boring and stupid.

We waited 16 years for THIS?

EDIT: Unrelated

maxresdefault.jpg

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Honestly, I don't think I will ever do VR as a "regular" thing.
No space in my house. I like my recliner/desk too much. I'm not looking to break a sweat while I play. I like to interact with the people/world around me while I play ("Hi, wife!" "Hi, kids!" "Come here cat and let me pet you!". Scroll through my pone during a boring cutscene etc etc.

It's a major bummer this is a VR game. I wanted forever for this. Just dumb.

Feb 4, 2009
Honestly, I don't think I will ever do VR as a "regular" thing.
No space in my house. I like my recliner/desk too much. I'm not looking to break a sweat while I play. I like to interact with the people/world around me while I play ("Hi, wife!" "Hi, kids!" "Come here cat and let me pet you!". Scroll through my pone during a boring cutscene etc etc.

It's a major bummer this is a VR game. I wanted forever for this. Just dumb.

Good summary, that is pretty much me minus the kids.
Also I agree this looks like too much "work" to be fun long term.

Reactions: Homerboy

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I'm not sure it looks 'boring' per say, I just don't care for VR anything. There have been quite a few journalists who've played it and who claim it's pretty good.

Would of course, like many others, prefer a straight up sequel/continuation but at least Valve still recognizes that people like and want HL... VR would have been better suited for Portal or some other less IP. Alas, though, Valve wants to sell their Index gear so once again, here we are.

Jun 18, 2000
I'm not sure it looks 'boring' per say, I just don't care for VR anything. There have been quite a few journalists who've played it and who claim it's pretty good.

Would of course, like many others, prefer a straight up sequel/continuation but at least Valve still recognizes that people like and want HL... VR would have been better suited for Portal or some other less IP. Alas, though, Valve wants to sell their Index gear so once again, here we are.

Portal? There's a recipe for projectile vomit if I've ever seen one.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Anyone playing this today? I wont be, but feel free to share your thoughts/experiences!

also... a shred of hope for the franchise: https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2020/03/03/valve-on-why-half-life-alyx-needed-to-be-in-vr

Half-Life means a lot to us, and it's been incredibly rewarding to refamiliarize ourselves with its characters, setting, and mechanics. There are Half-Life: Alyx team members who have been at Valve since Half-Life 2, and quite a few who go back to the original Half-Life. There are also people on the team for whom Half-Life: Alyx is their first time working on this series at all – and many of them certainly hope it's not the last. We absolutely see Half-Life: Alyx as our return to this world, not the end of it.

praise be! hope they stay true to those words